Knitting Sweater for Penguins

Discussion in 'Happy Talk' started by Jenn Windey, Feb 12, 2015.

1. Jenn Windey

Jenn Windey Supreme Member
    Registered

I could not help but smile when I read this story today, it is about a man that is 109 years old, they say he is the oldest person in Australia, and although he lives in a care facility he spends his days knitting little sweaters for penguins. This supports the Phillips Island Penguin foundation that had a need for small sweaters. No doubt the little penguins are cold.

Everyday the world is so full of bad news, people that have had to endure terrible things. It is nice for once to see someone that does something special like this. Bless you Alfred Date
    penguins.png

Krissttina Isobe and Allie Seay like this.
  2. Ruth Belena

Ruth Belena Veteran Member
    Registered

I looked at the story and discovered that these little sweaters are needed for rescued birds after an oil spill, when they have been treated to remove all the oil from their feathers.

I love the sweaters in the photo. The design that looks like a penguin book is really clever. The 109-year-old who knits little sweaters is putting his talent to good use and I think it's a great way for him to spend his days.

3. Hannah Davis

Hannah Davis Veteran Member
    Registered

This picuture is so adorable. I think what this man is doing is great, maybe some may think its sounds odd. After all why would we want ot make a sweater for a Penguin, aren't they suppose to be birds that can take extremely cold temperatures. But then we discover there is more to the story as to why the sweaters were needed. This is a cute story and this man has proven that no matter how old you are you can still make a difference and help out.

4. John Donovan

John Donovan Veteran Member
    Registered

Aww, this is just too sweet! My wife and I absolutely love penguins, and she loves this picture! I think that penguins are pretty much the cutest birds ever, and somehow, they are even cuter with sweaters on!

5. Krissttina Isobe

Krissttina Isobe Veteran Member
    Registered

:)Alfred knits rather well! How people knit with all different colors and designs is a mystery to me! It's so cute that Alfred can knit at his age. What a colorful little project with beautiful designs. I didn't know that penguins are found in Australia!