Kindle Unlimited

Discussion in 'Reading & Writing' started by Yvonne Smith, Dec 4, 2020.

1. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

I read a lot, and I just love having Kindle Unlimited. It is basically a lending library and has a lot of great books that I enjoy reading, but do not need to keep.
    When I do read one that I want to own, then I can still purchase the book, but that is much better than buying it first and wishing I had not wasted the money.
    Kindle Unlimited costs about $10 a month, but it is worth that if you read a lot like I do.

For the rest of this month, you can sign up and try it free for 2 months; so if you find it is not something that you will use a lot, then you can cancel after the free trial.
    You do not have to be a Prime member to have Kindle Unlimited.

188BC020-2F01-408E-A390-16E86451DB01.jpeg

Don Alaska likes this.
  2. Hugh Manely

Hugh Manely Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

Yes, I couldn't agree more. I've used my Kindle Fire for a year now, and I wouldn't be without it.
    I use it for all kinds of things - too much to list (reading books, for checking the weather, for sleep noises at night, etc)

I've read at least 30 books since it was given to me for Christmas - almost all of them about Christian prophesies.
    My last book I am reading again (which is rare for me) because it is the most factual, bible-based, and providing insight into the spiritual battles that are already being waged for the soul of humanity. Its title is The Antichrist is on the Earth Today, by Dr. Carson Michael, a Christian psychologist.

He gives great details such as - What kind of a man that will the Antichrist be? How will he rise to power? What country is he from? What signs indicate that we are approaching the last days that will culminate with the rise of the Antichrist, the Tribulation, the one-world government, who is the great Whore of Babylon, and the Battle of Armageddon. When is the rapture? (based upon scripture), and could it occur at any time?

This is the most detailed book I've ever read about this subject, and I believe he is right on target, because he writes, not from personal opinion, but backs everything up from the Word.

Al Amoling likes this.
  3. Yvonne Smith

I just discovered that you can get discounts with Kindle Unlimited, and pay for up to 2 years at a time and save money. Normally, it is $9.99 a month, which is basically $120 a year; but with the annual payment, it was just a little over $80, a savings of almost $40. You can save even more with the 2 year subscription, if you want to pay that long at once.

To do this, sign in to your Amazon account, go to Kindle Unlimited, and then choose the “extend your membership” option and you will see the available choices for payments.

41DFB9BF-3B45-4048-B8DF-C25C465DDEB7.jpeg

Don Alaska likes this.
  4. James Hintze

James Hintze Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

This thread makes me feel like a cheapskate. I've used Kindle for years and have never paid a dime for it. I have a substantial Kindle library.
    Wife teases me that I never read anything less than 300 years old. Somewhat of an exaggeration, but I'm currently (re)reading (on kindle) some things by a nineteen century author Joseph Victor von Scheffel, a 19th century author who re-wrote medieval stories and mythology in a very strange German. I have his works on my shelf, but in very small print, which is a challenge for my old eyes.
    I've written elsewhere that our county library system here is very good; many books are available visually or recorded.

5. Yvonne Smith

There are so many books on Kindle that a person can get for free, and I used just the free ones for a long time, too. Then, they had the Kindle Lending Library, which was kind of a precursor to the Prime Reading program, and I used both of those.
    Now that i am reading more health books, which I can’t get for free, I like having the Kindle Unlimited.

Amazon also marks books down all of the time, for a few days on sale, and i try to watch for those as well.
    As an example, the Starch Solution book by Dr. McDougal is usually around $10 for the ebook, but about a month or so ago, it was on sale for only $1.99, a great savings !
    Dr. Gregor’s book, How Not To Die is now on Kindle Unlimited to borrow, and it is $17 to buy the ebook, so many of the Kindle Unlimited books are expensive ones.

Unless a person does a lot of reading, they might think that the money was wasted; but for me, it is well worth it. I never watch television, but I read every day, so I would much rather pay for books than for something like Netflix.

Ed Wilson likes this.
  6. Joyce Senior

Joyce Senior Well-Known Member
    Registered

I get all of my Kindle books from the public library.

7. Don Alaska

Don Alaska Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

I used to get a lot of my books from The Gutenberg Project. I signed up for Kindle Unlimited, and have enjoyed it for the most part, but I see a lot of books that are listed for free, then will charge 1.99 when you go to download it to read. Don't like that and am considering stopping the Unlimited subscription