Kindle Scribe

Discussion in 'Gadgets & Tech Talk' started by Ken Anderson, Mar 22, 2023.

1. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

Kindle has a new thing - Kindle Scribe. It is a Kindle, with a paperwhite display, that includes a pen to allow you to write, as on paper. It could be used to make notes on Kindle books or as an electronic notebook, to review and mark up PDF files, or to create notes in Microsoft Word and some other formats.

I don't see a lot of advantages in it, insofar as things that I need or particularly want to do, but I might buy one just to play around with it, except for one thing - it comes at a cost of $340, and that's for the 16 GB - $420 for 64 GB.

51XNHg4uurL._AC_SL1000_.jpg

2. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff

I just got an announcement from Amazon about the Scribe, too. I didn’t look to see how much it cost, and that is even more than I suspected it would be.
    Not something that I would use either, and I suspect that it is not going to become a big seller. The iPads have done the same thing, and start at around the same price, and probably weight less than the Kindle Scribe does, and anyone who is going to pay that much money for something just to be able to read and write is probably not going to want a Kindle instead of an iPad.

Beth Gallagher likes this.
  3. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff

If I needed something like that, I'd probably go with the Kindle Scribe because I don't like iPads. I've tried using Michelle's a time or two and saw no need to buy one. I don't see a point in either, though.

I like my Kindle Fires though, although I only use them for books and, once in an while, maybe a solitaire game. I still haven't gotten used to the Kindle Paperwhite. It reads just fine but the controls don't make any sense to me. Every time I finish a book, it takes me ten or fifteen minutes of poking around at the bottom of the screen before I can get back to Home, and I've yet to figure out just what it is that I have to do to get it there.

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  4. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff

Exactly what I thought about the Paperwhite also. It is a very nice lightweight tablet for reading, but I had to get the instruction manual in order to close the book and open another one, as well as any other thing I wanted to do.
    I ended up giving both my Kindle Fire and the Paperwhite away because they were so much harder to use than my iPad Mini, and the mini coordinates easily with my other iPads, so I always have all my books (and everything else) on all of them.
    I can see why the Scribe would work better for you, since you have other Kindles. I am looking forward to your report once you get one of the Scribes to try out.

Ken Anderson likes this.
  5. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

I got some promotional offer for the Scribe but I have no use for anything like that. I bought the special pencil thing to go with my last iPad and I never used it after the new wore off. Frankly I don't see the usefulness of such but I suppose there's a market for them.

I need a new Kindle, though. My old reliable has been aggravating me for months by randomly rebooting when I'm reading. I have tried every suggestion I can find on support pages but it keeps doing it. Last time there was a sale on the new Kindle mine suddenly stopped rebooting so I didn't order a new one, and now that the sale is over... it's started rebooting again. :mad:

I was considering buying another 7" Fire as a Kindle replacement, but I prefer to read on the actual e-reader screen much more than any tablet. I just don't see why a regular Kindle costs more than a Fire tablet, though. o_O