Kindle Oasis

Discussion in 'Gadgets & Tech Talk' started by Ken Anderson, Jun 3, 2016.

1. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

The new Kindle Oasis sells for a whopping $289.99, which is a bit out of my league. According to its advertising, it is the thinnest and lightest Kindle made, and comes with a leather charging cover that boosts the life of the battery. Owners of the Kindle Oasis can charge the device and cover simultaneously while it is snapped together and plugged in. While in use, the cover will automatically recharge the device, giving months of battery life. It looks very nice, but I think I’ll wait until the price comes down a bit.

2. Patsy Faye

Patsy Faye Supreme Member
    Registered

I'm happy with me Kindle and the weight of it - you're right to wait .............

3. Holly Saunders

Holly Saunders Supreme Member
    Registered

I'm very happy with my Paperwhite ....I did consider getting the Kindle Fire but everyone I know who has one has problems with it..

I'd always wait for a new gadget to come way down in price before I'd even consider buying it...

4. Julie Stewart

Julie Stewart Veteran Member
    Registered

I have a Kindle 4 form 2011. It cost me about 80 of your US dollars - although I bought it in euros. It holds 1500 books. love it - I won't replace it so long as it works.

5. K E Gordon

K E Gordon Veteran Member
    Registered

I have the cheapo Kindle Fire the one that was being sold for 49.95. I really like it, I don't see any reason to upgrade to a more expensive device. It would be nice to have more photo and video options available with this..but for the money I am happy. The other thing is that sometimes the connection doesn't work well with this kindle..but I have lousy internet service, and I am not sure that even a more high tech device would be much different.

6. Diane Lane

Diane Lane Veteran Member
    Registered

I saw the Oasis advertised when I was on Amazon the other day. Of course, I clicked out of curiosity. I guess they're trying to compete with the high end products from other companies with the price, but most I know are satisfied with what they already have. I don't require a lot of bells and whistles. I splurged and bought a used Kindle Touch and am happy with that. At some point, I might consider upgrading to the Paperwhite when the prices come down, but this suits my needs for now.

7. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff

I just looked at the information on Amazon for the Oasis, and it certainly IS thin compared to my Kidle Fire, or even the lighterweight e-reader versions. I am perfectly happy with the one that I have now, and would not spend that kind of money for a better Kindle.
    Since I have an iPad, with the keyboard case, it iss almost like uing a small laptop, and I do everytthing with the iPad.
    I actually like how the iPad functions MUCH better than the Kindle.
    All of the little buttons are small and "hidden" on the Kindle, and I have to hunt for them, and make sure I am holding it the right way to easily find the on-off button.
    I also have trouble getting it to go to "home", whereas on the iPad, I can just close everything easily and open up something else.
    As long as all I am doing on the Kindle is reading books, it is not a problem, but it would get frustrating fast if i were trying to replace the ipad with the Kindle.

8. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff

That's what I have, along with one of the paperwhite versions. I use both.

K E Gordon likes this.
  9. K E Gordon

K E Gordon Veteran Member
    Registered

I have one of the old style kindles too, the BW model. I have always meant to sell it back, but it is kind of good I didn't because I lost the charger to the fire. but the charging cord for the old kindle works fine, and is actually quite a bit longer than the cord that came in with the kindle fire. It is helpful to have a device that works well, and charges easily, with a similar charger.