Kindle First (free Books).

Discussion in 'Reading & Writing' started by Yvonne Smith, Jan 4, 2016.

1. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

Amazon has a new program out called "Kindle First". Each month , they give you a selection of 5-6 books, and you can choose any one of these books to read.
    If you have Amazon Prime, then the book is free. Even if you do not have Amazon Prime, then you can get the book for only $1.99; which is still a savings over the regular sales price.
    As far as I can tell, this list is the same for everyone, and not tailored to your specific interests like the daily Bookbub lists are; but it is a good way to read some of the newer books on Amazon as they first come out.

How it works is that once you sign up for Kindle First, then they email you a list around the beginning of each month. You can also go to your account page and read a more detailed description of each book.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/digital/kindle/first

2. Chrissy Cross

Chrissy Cross Supreme Member
    Registered

I'm guessing I have this. I have so many kindle and amazon things that I'm not even sure anymore....

image.jpg

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  3. Bonnie Thomas

Bonnie Thomas Veteran Member
    Registered

I had Prime .. I dropped Prime ... not sure what I want anymore.:D

4. Chrissy Cross

Registered

I'm dropping it next year!

5. Bonnie Thomas

Bonnie Thomas Veteran Member
    Registered

As for myself, living without Prime saves me money - not only the price of Prime itself, but shopping on Amazon.
    My silly way of thinking ....
    I've made it 'a game' for myself to not buy anything on Amazon until the previous order has been received.
    I used to buy, buy, buy .... things coming right and left. Now if I want something, I have to wait until whatever I ordered gets to me first, before I order again. ...Fun Game!! :p:D and saves $$$$$
    And of course with Prime, that was 2 days ... now they take their time with shipping (5-10 days) and my credit card is getting a rest.

Holly Saunders and Bill Boggs like this.
  6. Chrissy Cross

Registered

I was using it mainly for gifts for the 3 grandsons in Illinois but it's not worth it anymore...especially since they raised their prices.

If I want something now, I'll have my daughter order for me and I'll pay her back.

7. Bill Boggs

Bill Boggs Supreme Member
    Registered

They probably wouldn't benefit me as I'm reading less books. My daughter was here over the holidays and she has these programs and she wanted to get them for me if I wanted but I'm reading more on the internet. For Example, this morning I read a feature length article in the Ft Worth Star Telegram online edition about Big Lake, Texas, a small town in far west Texas, on the edge of the Permium Basin, regarding the boom and bust of the oil industry and how it has effected Big Lake. I'm familiar with that area and have a history with Big Lake as I was married there once upon a time in 1956. ( http://www.star-telegram.com/news/state/texas/article52727585.html) I would think you'd have to read an awful lot of books to pay for the costs of these programs, but of course who know all that. I do spend a fair amount of money with Amazon buying products and a few books for my kindle. This is certainly not being critical of these programs, just some brief after breakfast conversation.

Last edited: Jan 4, 2016
  8. Shirley Martin

Shirley Martin Supreme Member
    Registered

There is a site that has free Kindle books listed every day. The title is Kindle Buffett. I just looked on my Kindle and the address is http://www.weberbooks.com. Not all the books listed are free. Some of them cost 1, 2 or 3 dollars. I just counted 12 free books. They change every day. I have read some really good free books.

9. Chrissy Cross

Registered

Some of bookbubs are that much too, Shirley. Thanks, will take a look.

10. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

@Shirley Martin , Kindle Buffet is Steve Weber's site, and he is the one that I was mentioning to you that has the best tutorial book about using the Kindle Fire.
    I had the Kindle Buffet also; but between that and Bookbub, I was getting overloaded with prospective books to read; so now I just get the Bookbub one each day.
    Even if a person does not have Amazon Prime, getting one of the more expensive books for just a couple of dollars is not a bad deal if they offer books that you are interested in reading.
    Since I get a free one, I am trying to actually get one and read it, but more often, I am studying something than just reading for entertainment nowadays.
    There are always just a lot of things that I am wanting to learn more about , it seems like, and I love browsing online and reading about new information that I can use in my life.

Bill Boggs and Chrissy Cross like this.
  11. Bill Boggs

Bill Boggs Supreme Member
    Registered

I was going to read this evening but haven't got to yet. I took up a pair of good looking pants that has become a little too big since I have lost some weight and that took longer than I supposed.