Kinda Wonder What Causes Depression Vs Joy

Discussion in 'Philosophy & Psychology' started by Mary Miller, Oct 13, 2020.

1. Silvia Benoit

Silvia Benoit Veteran Member
    Registered

Depression? How about abnormal hormonal secretion?

2. Bill Boggs

Bill Boggs Supreme Member
    Registered

Joy is, I would think, a rarity. I don't know about depression

Jeff Elohim likes this.
  3. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

Of course, there's also:
    -Lack of routine physical activity as we live each day in "modern life"
    -Isolation from our connection to nature, and our conscious daily dependence on it
    -Loss of communal living/more isolation (even as couples and family units)
    -Destruction of natural gender roles

Another big one--especially in a consumer society--is unmet [or unmeetable] expectations. We must be kept in a constant state of dissatisfaction in order to continue throwing dollars to "buy happiness" so that the economy stays afloat.

4. Terry Coywin

Terry Coywin Veteran Member
    Registered

There are a myriad of contributing factors for depression. Each must be examined on it's own merit. As for joy, I am fortunate enough to realize what fills my heart with joy and one of them is lying along side me at my feet, ever loyal and unconditional love. I have, of course the best dog in the world. :) My son is my major source of joy and simply being alive at my age is joyful in itself.

5. Jeff Elohim

Jeff Elohim Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

Yes.
    Joy is a Gift from Above, and is relatively rare. It does not depend on circumstances. (Remember the Apostles were full of joy continually, with the other disciples, even when chained in prison, cold and dark and wet, at midnight - singing praises full of thanksgiving that all the prisoners could hear) ...

Depression, seems to be 'normal' (a natural state for people), and can be cause by restricting B vitamins ,
    as well as other dietary means/ most medicine causes depression also, for whatever reason.

I just read thru the thread on bananas. It seems popular that bananas are a 'happy' food (not same as joy though),
    but may help prevent or alleviate depression.

I started taking B vitamins to prevent pellagra, decades ago, back when I drank two pots of coffee a day frequently.
    B Vitamins are called water soluble, and may not be stored well within the body - have to be replenished ....