KFC Producing An Edible Coffee Cup

Discussion in 'Food & Drinks' started by Yvonne Smith, Feb 27, 2015.

1. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

Soon you will be able to drink your morning coffee, and then snack on the cup, similar to eating an ice cream cone.
    KFC has developed a heat-resistant coffee cup made out of an edible wafer covered in white chocolate, and wrapped in sugar paper.
    It will be used to serve Seattle's Best Coffee, and if it works for KFC; I can see a new trend in edible coffee cups starting in other fast food places, too.
    What do you think, is this going to make a hit or will it turn out to be a flop ? Would you like to have coffee in a cup that you could eat afterwards ?

http://time.com/3723399/kfc-uk-edible-cups/

2. Ruth Belena

Ruth Belena Veteran Member
    Registered

If the edible cup really works and the chocolate does not melt or leak through the sugar paper, I think it could take off in a big way. I assume it is going to be an option and not a requirement of ording a coffee. The cost must be a lot higher than for coffee served in a paper cup.

I would not buy it because it just adds a lot more empty calories and fats to an overpriced beverage.

Mal Campbell likes this.
  3. Mal Campbell

Mal Campbell Supreme Member
    Registered

Interesting, @Yvonne Smith! It's a novel idea.

But, I have to agree with @Ruth Belena - this looks like just one more way to make us overweight and unhealthy. It sounds interesting and might be nice for a "treat" every once in a blue moon, but I can see this becoming a daily habit for people.

Now, if the fast food market would put as much thought into healthy alternatives, maybe we'd get somewhere. Although, I remember reading an article about 6-8 years ago about Hardee's. They were under pressure because their burgers were "worse" than most. The CEO said they had put a lot of effort into making healthier alternatives - they had done massive studies where people said they would like to see things like salads on the menu. But when they implemented the healthier food options, they didn't sell at all, and they lost a lot of money. People wanted the burgers and fries.

4. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

Years ago, the Wendy's (at least the one near where i lived) had a small salad bar, and I just loved that. It was in walking distance from where I worked at the time; and when I had the time and money; I would go and have one of their awesome salads for my lunch.
    It seemed like a lot of people really liked it, and the salad bar was always busy; so I don't know why they decised to stop having it; but they did.
    I think maybe it is just the idea that when we go to a place like Hardee's or other fast food place; it is because we are wanting to eat a hamburger and fries. I know that ome of the fast food places do have small salads; but I didn't think it was worth paying for something that i could easily make at home and I usually didn't order one.
    Pizza places often have salad bars, and they are often eaten as part of the meal, too. I just much prefer a salad bar where you can put together your own salad that the little bowl of lettuce and a bite of tomato that comes with most of the side salads that you get at fast food places.

5. Sarah Price

Sarah Price Veteran Member
    Registered

It sounds too dangerous to me and/or unhealthy to me. Either they've put together a lot of scary chemicals that one should not be ingesting anyway in order to get their edible cup or it doesn't really work well and the hot coffee will spill out and burn someone. No thanks. Even if they did this for an iced coffee, I usually only drink 1/2 of those and save the other 1/2 for another day. I think putting an edible cup in the fridge would not work out too well either.

I wish they would work on making food calorie free! I'd REALLY be interested in that. Calorie-free chocolate. Woo-hoo!

Sheldon Scott likes this.
  6. Mal Campbell

Mal Campbell Supreme Member
    Registered

Really - sign me up!! Or how about fat-free pizza??

You'd think that if we could put a man on the moon, we could do something as simple as that!! :D

Sarah Price likes this.
  7. Sarah Price

Sarah Price Veteran Member
    Registered

Great minds think alike, Mal! It really would be phenomenal if they could come up with something safe, yet would speed the metabolism along, especially for us older folks. I absolutely KNOW I could drop some serious weight if I had the metabolism I had when I was in my teens and twenties.

8. Betty Johnstone

Betty Johnstone Veteran Member
    Registered

Years ago, our Wendy's had the salad bar too and I loved it. I often went there for lunch or the odd dinner. They really had a good variety and I never walked away hungry.
    As you said, the salad bar was a big hit and always busy, so it was really strange to see it gone.I've yet to find a decent salad bar in my area which really bums me out!

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  9. John Donovan

John Donovan Veteran Member
    Registered

This is fantastic! This is akin to the flushable toilet paper roll, and I can't wait until it becomes popular and takes off.

10. Hannah Davis

Hannah Davis Veteran Member
    Registered

I wonder if this will actually work. After all these sort of cones already become soggy with ice cream in them and ice cream is cold. Coffee is hot and is also a liquid, I just can't figure out how this wouldn't actually leak. No doubt they have tested this to see if it will work. But I get the feeling this made be one of those products that is here today and gone tomorrow sort of like Satisfries at Burger King.

Sheldon Scott likes this.
  11. Brittany Houser

Brittany Houser Veteran Member
    Registered

I think it could be wonderful, if it works...big if! See this would benefit me a lot, because I usually stop at McD's, and buy a cup of coffee. Being the reprobate slob that I am, when I finish it in the car, my empty cup finds its way into my floorboard, or into an already full litter bag that I keep handy for such things!:p This makes for a messy car. With edible cups, I could dispose of it quickly. It's a win-win situation! :D

12. Sheldon Scott

Sheldon Scott Supreme Member
    Registered

It would sure help with litter on the streets if all the packaging was edible. Edible packaging can't be any worse than what's inside it.

13. Corie Henson

Corie Henson Veteran Member
    Registered

I was attracted to this thread by that KFC title. My brother is a die-hard KFC fan. In any family gathering, once you see a bucket of KFC, I'm sure my brother was the one who brought it. Some years ago when my brother was jobless and living in poverty, he would sometimes invite me to visit his family. And you know what that means? He wanted to eat KFC and during those times I was the only kind soul who would buy a bucket for him (and his family).

Now my brother is an accomplished race horse trainer and is well to do in terms of finances. Guess again. He has KFC chicken at least once a week.