Kentucky's New $100 Million Noah's Ark Attraction

Discussion in 'Faith & Religion' started by Joe Riley, Jul 10, 2016.

1. Joe Riley

Joe Riley Supreme Member
    Registered

The controversial new Noah's Ark attraction at a religious theme park in Kentucky hopes to attract 2 million visitors in its first year.
    [​IMG]
    WILLIAMSTOWN, Ky., July 8 (UPI) -- A $100 million model of Noah's Ark has opened as a tourist attraction in Williamstown, Ky.

2. Chrissy Cross

Chrissy Cross Supreme Member
    Registered

Hmmmm, at first glance I was excited because my 7 rear old grandson is the all time expert and lover of Noah's Ark.
    He has probably every set that exists and I've drawn at least 1 huge ark with animals every time I visit. I'm talking those huge pads of paper and not regular size.
    Kentucky isn't that far from Illinois and it would be doable for them but then I saw that it's stuffed animals...not so exciting.
    Plus I don't like the idea of the dinosaurs being on the ark. Anyway, that's a lot of taxpayer money that might have served a better purpose.

I don't know what the admission price is and what things cost but just looking at it in the pic it looks kind of drab and not too exciting.
    Don't know if they'll do well enough. As for the separation of church and state issues and hiring only Christians etc.
    On principle I don't care for it but in reality I don't really care at all.

It's not in my back yard so not an issue for me one way or another.

3. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

Great thread, @Joe Riley ! I had read about this being built before, but had not been actively following it, and didn't know that it was now open for the public to come and tour the ark replica.
    As a believer in the Biblical Earth, and in young earth creation, I think that this is a great type of theme park, and since any other kind of similar venture would have also received the same kind of tax-credits as this one does, I see no reason why it should be denied the credits simply because it is a faith-based theme park.
    If it was something like the Six Flags theme parks, or another Disneyland, and the state made sure that the roads and any similar needs were adequate, and the corporation got a tax credit for choosing that state to put the theme park in, then any kind of theme park should receive the same kind of tax breaks.
    This has nothing do to with the separation of church and state, that would only happen if the state made some kind of a religious theme park and the state owned and ran it.
    This is simply another private enterprise in that state.

Bobby Cole, Ike Willis and Joe Riley like this.
  4. Chrissy Cross

Registered

Can the speedway and that other enterprise refuse to hire certain religions if Noahs Ark will only hire Christians?

Also, I bet they'll take your money even if you're an atheist. :)

Sheldon Scott likes this.
  5. Texas Beth

Texas Beth Veteran Member
    Registered

I saw a brief news clip of the ark a day or two ago. I think it is great. However, some historians believe the ark would have been round as most of the boats of the day were.

Bobby Cole likes this.
  6. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

Sometimes cities or states will offer tax support for a project or business as an investment, because they believe that it will bring more tax revenue than it costs to help get it off the ground. While I don't believe that government agencies, at any level, should discriminate against gays or atheists, I don't consider an investment of tax money to be the same thing at all. Tax money goes to support agencies that discriminate against people of faith, so I don't see that this should be a problem. Is it a good investment of tax money? I don't know. If I were to find myself in the area with time on my hands, I would go to see it but I am unlikely to plan my vacations around a trip to Kentucky for that purpose, but I imagine that some people will.

Bobby Cole, Ike Willis and Joe Riley like this.
  7. Joe Riley

Joe Riley Supreme Member
    Registered

I don't believe they require customers to be Christians.This is normal practice. My guess is it would draw Christians and people who have an interest. The fee mentioned was $40. I also believe they are considered a to be a church. It opened Friday, so we need to take time to learn more details. I agree that its a good thing for Kentucky.

Last edited: Jul 10, 2016
    Bobby Cole likes this.
  8. Corie Henson

Corie Henson Veteran Member
    Registered

I don't know if that Noah's Ark theme park is related to the one in Hongkong. It was part of our itinerary during our recent trip in Hongkong (end of June). My husband had charted the trip including the prices of the entrance ticket and the shuttle from the city. We also had printed a map on the location of the theme park and the mall where to buy tickets. Based on the primer, it is owned by a religious group although there was nothing said about the visitors (in regards to their religion). However, I changed my mind because the theme park would eat 1 day and we only had 3 days to spend there. Maybe when we go back to Hongkong, we can go to that theme park.

But I wonder why the controversy for that theme park in the US.

Bobby Cole likes this.
  9. Joe Riley

Joe Riley Supreme Member
    Registered

The account of Noah's Ark, can be tolerated by the world as long as it remains a children's story. I believe it to be a true account of how Noah, an obedient servant of the Living God, built a Life-boat for the world, and then God filled it. The Bible tells us that it was God who closed the door.;) In the time of Noah, it had never rained, instead God watered the earth by heavy dew that came up from the ground. The rain and flood had to be a terrifying thing, for those left behind.

10. Chrissy Cross

Registered

Well, my grandson never put all his dinosaurs on all the arks we've built. There was never room and he didn't believe they belonged there.

Those boys are pretty smart and even at a very young age could rattle off every single dinosaur and identify it and pronounce the name right...it amazed me. Even could tell me if it was a meat eater or not.

I guess you don't have to believe the new earth theory to visit the park but I think kids would have enjoyed it more with real animals but that would be cruel.

I can see going once to see the size of the ark but I think small kids would enjoy a 6 flags type theme park more.

11. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Supreme Member
    Registered

Not to change the Topic, but Christian Book Stores will only hire Christians. If I owned a store like that, I'd only hire professed Christians. I'd tell people, "yell the word discrimination all you want, it's MY store!".

Bobby Cole and Ike Willis like this.
  12. Joe Riley

Joe Riley Supreme Member
    Registered

I think the Noah's Ark Attraction would be a grand place to take our grandchildren some day! I think it would appeal more to Christian families. We need more places like this. Kentucky is blessed to have it!

13. Chrissy Cross

Registered

It would appeal to some non Christian families too. Young children like Noahs Ark wether they know the bible story or not.

There are many Noah's Ark toys for sale. I think somehow that one transcends the Bible. I haven't seen many other Bible story toys in regular toy stores. Think it's all the animals.

Let me know if you think of another one, I'm racking my brain but can't think of another one.

14. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Supreme Member
    Registered

Well, Chrissy, there are stores and companies in the U.S. that, due to the demographics of the area, can't hire all races. Depending on the size of some companies, and the experience needed to work for them, not all races will apply. Then there are those stores/companies that some races won't apply to anyway. Not all areas of the U.S. have high amounts of AA, Latino/Hispanic, Indian or Asian).

None of the above is discrimination. Actually, I think that word "discrimination" is used too much.

Bobby Cole likes this.
  15. Chrissy Cross

Registered

Sorry, I'll delete my posts but your title did say sparks controversy.