Ken Is In The Hot Seat

Discussion in 'Personal Diaries' started by Terry Page, Apr 8, 2016.

1. Terry Page

Terry Page Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

Picture17.jpg

Last edited: Apr 8, 2016
  2. Terry Page

Registered

Hi Ken, I know you have many interests in your life, this forum, your internet work, politics, religion, your home, and more........which area gives you the most satisfaction, and which one would you like to give more time too

Holly Saunders likes this.
  3. Chrissy Cross

Chrissy Cross Veteran Member
    Registered

Ken, I'm a romantic....how did you meet your lovely wife? How long did you date before you popped the question?

Holly Saunders likes this.
  4. Holly Saunders

Holly Saunders Veteran Member
    Registered

Acccch you asked the question I was going to ask, Chrissy.

Great question from terry too...

Ken,you've shared a lot with us about your life, and your work, but I don't recall if you said you had children...do you?:)

Terry Page likes this.
  5. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Veteran Member
    Registered

That changes from time to time.

Forum -- Yeah, there are a lot of things I'd like to do with it, and expect that I'll have time for it before too long.

Internet Work -- I sort of wish I didn't have to any work at all, but since I do, I'd like to see it go back up to forty hours a week.

Politics -- I think I'd be happier if I ignored it altogether, and maybe I'll achieve that one day.

Religion -- As an Anabaptist, my religion suggests that I spend less time on politics and more time on the things that are important. If you think about it, if we're going to spend less than a century, most of us, here on earth, and the rest of eternity elsewhere, then perhaps it doesn't really matter so much who the idiots elect in November.

Home -- There are always things to do around the house but at this point, I'd rather be able to pay someone else to do it. I'd rather spend more time on our camp, turning it into an off-grid home.

My Wife -- We already spend most of our time together, albeit generally in different rooms, since she has poor taste in television. I'd like for us to be able to do some traveling, but that's hard to with three cats, particularly when two of them are very old.

6. Ruby Begonia

Ruby Begonia Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

Ken, who is the cook in your home most of the time, and what is that person's specialty?

7. Ken Anderson

Registered

We were both working for the Open Directory Project, which includes a staff forum. The ODP had tens of thousands of editors from all over the world, and most of us never met, although there were meet ups every now and then. Although we hadn't met, we had known one another for years before she drove to Texas from New Mexico one day. Since we were both exactly who we thought we were, we were married not long afterward. I proposed to her during the course of an online timed quiz that I had set up. In August, we will have been married for 17 years. I was forty-eight, and had never been married before. She is a remarkable person, and I made a good choice.

8. Ken Anderson

Registered

I adopted a seven year-old when I was in my early twenties, and raised him as a single parent. I was also a foster parent during that time.

9. Ken Anderson

Registered

Mostly my wife, although I think I can do a pretty decent job of cooking. Nothing fancy, though. I do breakfasts, though. I don't know that she has a speciality. She likes experimenting with new dishes, and mostly they come out pretty good.

10. Terry Page

Registered

That begs the question what sort of things were you thinking of doing with it,................ should I be nervous ;)

11. Ken Anderson

Registered

Not at all. One major part is adding a directory to it, as I've mentioned in the forum.

12. Ruby Begonia

Registered

Ken, how do winters in Maine compare with other places you've lived?

13. Ken Anderson

Registered

I grew up in the Upper Peninsula of Maine, and winters are generally much more severe there. Other than that, I've lived in Southern California, in Iowa for a very short time, in the Rio Grande Valley of Texas, and in North Carolina.

Although Millinocket is in central Maine, southern and northern Maine usually have more severe winters than we do. We're at the northern end of the Appalachian Trail, and I have heard that the Appalachians block a lot of the storms from us. They pass over us sometimes. Often, there are big storms in New York when we don't have much here.

Karen McKenzie and Ruby Begonia like this.
  14. Chrissy Cross

Registered

If money wasn't an issue, would you still stay in Maine? Wouldn't a warmer climate be better for living off the grid?

Ruby Begonia likes this.
  15. Ken Anderson

Registered

I wouldn't mind also having a place somewhere else, but you can't beat a wood fire in a real winter, complete with snow, and since we have a hundred acres of woods, we can afford the firewood. I am not looking to live off-grid full time, but it will be nice to have a comfortable place to spend a few days or longer without all of the distractions. Plus, it's easier staying warm in Maine than staying cool in Texas.

I like the bears, the deer, and the moose, as well as the squirrels and snowshoe hares. I like being able to set up my cameras and see what's out there.

16. Ina I. Wonder

Ina I. Wonder Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

Good afternoon Ken, What was your childhood and family life like?

Ruby Begonia likes this.
  17. Ruby Begonia

Registered

Sounds good to me!

18. Terry Page

Registered

Have just added the graphics Ken I hope you approve :eek::)

Ruby Begonia likes this.
  19. Ken Anderson

Registered

That could take a while. I grew up in a very small town, where I was related to most of the people I knew. I had four brothers, three older and one younger; still do, actually. My mom was my Cub Scout den mother, and my father was my Boy Scout scout leader, a task that he enjoyed far more than she did, I believe. The only key to our house was a skeleton key, and we never locked the doors.

The family attended the Bethel Mission Covenant Church a little further up the hill from our house. Sunday morning, Sunday night, and Wednesday nights we were there. For a time, my task was cranking out the church bulletin on the church mimeograph machine. Being a procrastinator, I most always did this late Saturday night, and it was scary in that basement at night. There would be sounds like footsteps on the floor above and sometimes I was pretty sure there were ghosts.

Because the church was never locked either, and because we had no township library, I would sit in the church library at night sometimes reading because, as I remember it, there were a lot of books there, and then the sounds would be coming from the basement.

In the summers, we made shacks out in the woods, and would sometimes sleep in them doing winter weekends as well. There was a time when everyone was replacing their gas-driven washing machines with electric machines, and throwing their old ones in the trash. These motors were great go-kart motors.

Elementary school went through the eighth grade. After that, we were bused to Stephenson, a few miles away, for high school.

Ina I. Wonder and Ruby Begonia like this.
  20. Ken Anderson

Registered

I'm impressed.

21. Chrissy Cross

Registered

He can always ban you if he doesn't. No pressure, Terry. :)

Just saw kens reply. Whew!

Terry Page likes this.
  22. Ruby Begonia

Registered

Ken, what are your favorite clothes to wear and what colors to you lean toward?

23. Ken Anderson

Registered

Browns, blacks or tans. I used to prefer jeans but I don't wear denim so well anymore so I look for something with a drawstring, unless I'm going out in the woods, then I'll look for something a little more rugged.

24. Karen McKenzie

Karen McKenzie Well-Known Member
    Registered

Ken..what is your idea of a perfect day?

Second Q is.. Did you ever play a practical joke on anyone..and how did it go?
    Third Q is.. If you could visit one foreign county..all expenses paid...for one month..which country would you choose?

25. Ken Anderson

Registered

1. Imagining that our camp is done. It's a beautiful day, and my wife is there with me, and not complaining about bears and such.

2. Frequently. But I'll give you one. When I worked for Los Fresnos EMS, we served the INS facility in Bayview, Texas, which is a large immigration facility. We were called there for an emergency, and one of our EMTs (Mike), who didn't get to the station in time to go out on the ambulance, drove his car out there. We didn't really need any additional help because the INS facility was well staffed with doctors and nurses. Like most people in the Rio Grande Valley, he was Mexican-American and about eighteen or nineteen at the time. On the way out, he was following the ambulance in his car when I got to the guard's gate. I asked him if he would give the guy behind us a hard time.

When Mike came by the station, he said the guard detained him for forty-five minutes, asking if he was a citizen, and if he could prove that he was a citizen. When he produced his driver's license and EMT card, the guard told him he'd need something more official, like a birth certificate. As he was telling us, he didn't realize that I had set him up for it.

3. Probably the Channel Islands.