Keeping Your Geographical Distance

Discussion in 'Other Reminiscences' started by Holly Saunders, May 16, 2018.

1. Don Alaska

Don Alaska Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

I have travelled a lot, but my brother lives 3 miles from where we grew up, and never travelled before he retired except in the Air Force when he had to relocate. When he got out of the military, he went back home to our small town and stayed close by his entire life. Same as with your sister, we are two very different individuals and were raised in the same house. We are becoming more alike as we age, however, and he now travels for short periods--about a week at a time--and he comes up here for a visit every two or three years. I am more content staying in one place. He likes Las Vegas, but I don't, and he likes the touristy places while I enjoy the less-travelled sites.

Holly Saunders likes this.
  2. Shirley Martin

Shirley Martin Supreme Member
    Registered

I have never lived more than 20 miles from where I live now. I really am, "Just a simple country girl." DH and I use to do a little traveling when we had no children. Then the children came and our vacations were mostly to a lake east of here that had crystal clear water and sandy beaches. It was the perfect vacation spot for families with children. We occasionally went to the Smokey Mountains to see the fall colors,

Since he died and I have retired, I have done a little more traveling. But I haven't seen anywhere that I'd rather live than right here in the country. :rolleyes:

Joe Riley and Don Alaska like this.
  3. Tim Burr

Tim Burr Veteran Member
    Registered

I pretty sure I'm in the minority here, but I really don't mind
    cities.

If I could afford it, I'd have an apartment right in the heart of downtown Nashville.

Did my time in a small town; closest big city was 100 miles away.
    I didn't dislike it, just a little too boring and people seem to really care what
    others were doing all the time.
    'Busy Bodies' my mom used to call them...

6 miles outside of Nashville seems like a good distance right now.

Chrissy Cross and Joe Riley like this.