Keeping Children Occupied Without Television

Discussion in 'Education & Learning' started by Avigail David, Jul 24, 2015.

1. Diane Lane

Diane Lane Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

@Pat Baker That's another modern problem. In addition to being addicted to television and video games, many children (and some adults) can't imagine walking out their front door to go somewhere, and not getting in their car to do so. When I was doing the last joint garage sale with my neighbors, it was at the other end of this street I live on. People kept asking if my car had broken down, because I was walking down the street instead of driving.

2. Jennifer Graves

Jennifer Graves Active Member
    Registered

Thats what I use tv for. I can't sit still and watch a tv show or movie. I always need to be doing SOMETHING. I guess it keeps me from getting distracted by all the little, unexplained noises that go on. Its also the only real time my husband and I sit down in a room together for more than 10 minutes. He watches tv and I play on the computer while listening and talking about whats on.

Linda Mansfield likes this.
  3. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Veteran Member
    Registered

I don't think I could stand sitting on a couch watching television. I do go to the movies once in a while, but only a few times a year. I do have the television on pretty much all the time, but I'm streaming movies through my Roku, and sometimes I have to start a movie over several times before I feel like I've seen enough of it to consider it to have been watched. When my attention turns to something else and I realize I don't know what's going on in the move, I just start it over, or bring it back to a point where I still knew what was going on.

Diane Lane likes this.
  4. Joyce Mcgregor

Joyce Mcgregor Well-Known Member
    Registered

When I do not want my grandson watching TV, I play board games with him. In fact, he would rather I play with him then watch TV. I also read to him or have him read to me. He likes to play the math games on the laptop he got from school that he also does home work assignments on. Caleb also likes either me or his Mom to sit outside while he plays. He is 8yrs old.

5. Krissttina Isobe

Krissttina Isobe Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

:oops:You've a busy household! Television is good to have on for the weather and news. When I was young and my Grandfather living we'd play games like Hanafuda. These are cherished memories I have now. My Mom liked to play Scrabble too. It's nice to have memories of growing up doing things together. Your family seems to have lots to do and a place to enjoy like the outdoors! How lucky you and your family is!