Just Some Walking Around History

Discussion in 'History & Geography' started by Tim Burr, Aug 2, 2016.

1. Tim Burr

Tim Burr Veteran Member
    Registered

Had a few minutes to kill this morning before work, so thought I'd walk down to the corner and check out
    some construction being done on an old building.

Took a picture to add to the ones I have of old Nashville buildings and all day something bugged me about this building.

[​IMG]

When I got home, looked up the address and discovered it was the original High Class 'Noel Hotel'.
    Build in 1929, it featured 'Tubs and Showers in every room. Ceiling Fans and Circulating Ice Water'.
    Some of the past guests included Eleanor Roosevelt, Bob Hope, Jane Mansfield and Babe Ruth.

[​IMG]

Then it hit me. Right across the street was the original site of the ' Maxwell House Hotel ' where the famous Coffee was born.

[​IMG]

Probably not as good as catching one of those Pokemon things, but I can't pass up an old building.:)

2. Corie Henson

Corie Henson Veteran Member
    Registered

This is a good reminder for we have a trip to the province by the end of the month. It's actually a visit to my nephew who was assigned work in the province. For touring, the only thing in our mind now is the old church and some resorts but swimming is not in our agenda. Maybe we can also check on old school buildings and other landmarks. From what I heard, the capital of the province has the largest (wet) market and probably it would be a good haunt since I also intend to buy some native products there particularly the pili nuts (like macadamia) and woven handicrafts.

3. K E Gordon

K E Gordon Veteran Member
    Registered

It would be fun to see those old buildings. Thanks for showing them to us Tim. I enjoy buildings of all types, old, modern, and in between. I think their construction is interesting. I have a an affinity for construction. They are just some of the things that makes life more interesting and add a layer of intrigue to our lives.

4. Bill Boggs

Bill Boggs Supreme Member
    Registered

I used to enjoy seeing old buildings. Some several of us would meet at some old building and photograph it. The last one I photographed was an old six story hotel in my then hometown. On the sides of the hotel we're large painted signs, "Hot and Cold Running Water." Some of the old hotels we viewed and photographed in New Mexico were works of Art. It was great fun to learn their history and photo them from different angles and points of view.

Tim Burr likes this.
  5. Texas Beth

Texas Beth Veteran Member
    Registered

I like looking at old architecture. Dallas and Ft. Worth tear down old buildings for the plot or to build new buildings. Such a shame as they are also tering down history.

Tim Burr likes this.