July 15, 2016 Day Of Rage?

Discussion in 'In the News' started by Diane Lane, Jul 14, 2016.

1. Diane Lane

Diane Lane Veteran Member
    Registered

I agree, and I think it should have the opposite effect, at least for those who can think and reason, but I'm not sure there's much of that going on with that particular crowd. I also agree that they're looking to instigate problems, then will blame anything negative that happens on any response that doesn't meet their specific guidelines, which are unreasonable. My hope is that those on the fringes of the movement will wake up, and start to dissociate themselves with the core group, once they realize what is going on.

Chrissy Cross likes this.
  2. Diane Lane

Registered

That's similar to the Occupy Wall Street movement, where mainly youngsters gathered and camped out to rail against corporate America and their corruption and greed, yet were camping out in corporate made tents, wearing clothing manufactured and sold by large corporations, using iPhones, etc. Many of them were actually paid protesters/agitators, but others were idealistic young people looking to make a difference, yet unable to discern the extent of influence the corporations had on their daily lives.

Corie Henson likes this.
  3. Texas Beth

Texas Beth Veteran Member
    Registered

My town is not involved in this. And if it did have a day of rage, no one I know would participate. I am in Texas and after what happened in Dallas I doubt anyone would plan something like this.

4. Kitty Carmel

Kitty Carmel Veteran Member
    Registered

I want to watch one of these videos about what to do if you are stopped by the police myself. I'm usually driving home close to midnight and I'm often very tired. I'd need to behave appropriately if stopped. There are good stories. One woman I knew stated she was stopped late at night driving home. She explained she had just got off work and was tired. She told the cop where she lived. He replied "I just have a tired nurse here" He told her he would follow her a few miles to make sure she was OK and that's what he did. No ticket.

There was a case here in Northern California where a man with mental health issues was taken to the hospital because he was behaving irratically and had stopped taking his medications. The hospital put him in a non emergency medical van with no one else with him for an almost two hour drive to a mental health facility. By arrival he was behaving so strangly the driver called the police who wressled him down and he died in custody. I work with the mother of his girlfriend. It was very sad. He just needed help and should not have been put in that van without someone with medical knowledge to help.

Diane Lane and Chrissy Cross like this.
  5. Chrissy Cross

Chrissy Cross Supreme Member
    Registered

I think the main thing now is the police want to see both your hands. Primes are tense right now and everyone is on edge, especially police.

There was a good video put out by a Black Country singer telling young males how to act when pulled over.

Problem is that if your guilty of something, I'm sure you won't follow instructions but for those that aren't guilty
    I think it would be smart to do as your told.

It's interesting that it's always males that are shot.

Diane Lane likes this.
  6. Chrissy Cross

Registered

Here is the video, mainly aimed at black males but it's good advice.

Diane Lane and Kitty Carmel like this.
  7. Kitty Carmel

Kitty Carmel Veteran Member
    Registered

Good advice. Thanks for posting the video. I don't take my purse to work, just my phone, license and keep a little money in he car. My phone and license are usually in my left top pocket. Should I never get stopped, I'll have it out on the dash.

Chrissy Cross likes this.
  8. Chrissy Cross

Registered

I don't know if older women are a threat but I'm sure police are extra tense. There's always been a few bad cops but I really feel for the ones that are decent and have to go to work every day in this environment.

Who the heck would want to be a policeman today? Not many professions were you go to work every day and worry about making it home.

Diane Lane and Mari North like this.
  9. Frank Sanoica

Frank Sanoica Supreme Member
    Registered

"Days of Rage"??

What utter nonsense, as Mrs. Buckett would have said. (Boquet?). Frank

10. Diane Lane

Registered

I saw similar posts to these from Black lives Matter people after the Paris attack, as well as the Orlando attack. They are very self-involved and narcissistic, and seem to feel they and their cause rises above everything else in importance, even mass murders and terrorist attacks. It sickens me. I agree, it's mainly the younger males who tend to act more aggressive and non-compliant when stopped, therefore encounter the issues with police. I've been pulled over several times in my life, and have never had a problem. I can't remember who it was that came out with recent statistics showing that blacks are not shot/killed at a higher rate by police, but that the rate is actually lower for them.

11. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

Sure enough, they had a Black Lives Matter rally in Portland, where they tried to block a street, but they were all quickly arrested. I guess about ten people showed up, and, while I didn't see it on television, most of them were probably white. Black Lives Matter has had booths at Maine fairs and other events, and I have yet to see a black person manning one of these booths. In Maine, BLM is more of a thing for white college students.

Diane Lane likes this.
  12. Chrissy Cross

Registered

We just don't have that many blacks in Fresno. If there's something going on it's usually by Latinos or Hispanics.

I don't know which word is correct.

13. Diane Lane

Registered

It depends on which one you're talking to, @Chrissy Page. Labels appear to be highly subjective by individual. Here in Texas, they are usually referred to as Latinos and we are referred to as Anglos, at least in the southern part of the state.

I saw an article about the protest and arrests @Ken Anderson. I'm glad the police up there nipped it in the bud, and didn't let the situation get out of control as the protests seem to have in several other cities. Here's a link, in case anyone's interested.

14. Chrissy Cross

Registered

I just read an article and seems Hispanic is used more in California but most say they don't care if called Hispanic
    or Latino or Latina if female....only in Texas does it matter. :)

http://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tank/2013/10/28/in-texas-its-hispanic-por-favor/

In California I usually just hear Mexican. It's all confusing. I do notice that the high school age girls liked to be called Latinas.

If I had to chose a name for myself, I'd go with Latina...kind of sexy and exotic. :)