July 15, 2016 Day Of Rage?

Discussion in 'In the News' started by Diane Lane, Jul 14, 2016.

1. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Veteran Member
    Registered

Sure enough, they had a Black Lives Matter rally in Portland, where they tried to block a street, but they were all quickly arrested. I guess about ten people showed up, and, while I didn't see it on television, most of them were probably white. Black Lives Matter has had booths at Maine fairs and other events, and I have yet to see a black person manning one of these booths. In Maine, BLM is more of a thing for white college students.

Diane Lane likes this.
  2. Chrissy Cross

Chrissy Cross Veteran Member
    Registered

We just don't have that many blacks in Fresno. If there's something going on it's usually by Latinos or Hispanics.

I don't know which word is correct.

3. Diane Lane

Diane Lane Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

It depends on which one you're talking to, @Chrissy Page. Labels appear to be highly subjective by individual. Here in Texas, they are usually referred to as Latinos and we are referred to as Anglos, at least in the southern part of the state.

I saw an article about the protest and arrests @Ken Anderson. I'm glad the police up there nipped it in the bud, and didn't let the situation get out of control as the protests seem to have in several other cities. Here's a link, in case anyone's interested.

4. Chrissy Cross

Chrissy Cross Veteran Member
    Registered

I just read an article and seems Hispanic is used more in California but most say they don't care if called Hispanic
    or Latino or Latina if female....only in Texas does it matter. :)

http://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tank/2013/10/28/in-texas-its-hispanic-por-favor/

In California I usually just hear Mexican. It's all confusing. I do notice that the high school age girls liked to be called Latinas.

If I had to chose a name for myself, I'd go with Latina...kind of sexy and exotic. :)