Joined A Senior Fitness Club

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by Hal Pollner, Nov 2, 2018.

1. Hal Pollner

Hal Pollner Veteran Member
    Registered

Hey,

Yesterday I joined a Senior Fitness Group called "Nifty After Fifty". This group has no relation to the Senior Citizens Aerobic Exercise class, which I just quit.

The new club is a small, intimate Gym that uses 4 Cardio machines and 10 Strength and Muscle-Building machines.

Each member has a Key for all the machines which has his or her exercise parameters encoded on a Chip on the Key.

When the Key is inserted in the machine, it sets the exercise limits according to the encoded information, such as Resistance Levels (in pounds) and Repetitions, and gives Calories Burned, and Energy (in watts) Generated,

There are no heavy free-weights (Barbells or Dumbbells) which work the various muscle groups of the body. All Resistance weights are simulated by various levels of Hydraulic or Pneumatic pressures in the Machine.

I ran through all the machines today to set my personal calibration for the various parameters.

The Resistance can be changed with the press of a button on the hand grips...no need to physically change any weights.

A Trainer is on the floor at all times.

And the club has soft music, even including early Rock!

Hal

Last edited: Nov 2, 2018
  2. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

That is AWESOME, @Hal Pollner , and I am sure that you will enjoy the fitness club, and feel better as well. Exercise is always good, as long as we are doing things that are a fit for our body.
    Great news, and I am happy to hear this !

3. Hal Pollner

Registered

Thanks, Yvonne!

I plan to go 3 days a week in the afternoons. The club's hours are 6:30AM to 5:00PM, M-F only. it's not one of those huge 24/7 clubs.

They also have social activities, like Balloon Volleyball, Latin Dances, Potlucks, and Movies on the large floor.

Hal

4. Chrissy Cross

Chrissy Cross Supreme Member
    Registered

That's great Hal!

I love Curves....I think I love the ladies and the fun chatter more than the exercise itself but doesn't matter the reason, just that I exercise.

Lately Ive been going around the circuit more and I stay longer than a half hour just because I'm yakking away. :)

We also have luncheons and will be having a Christmas party at the Country Club and I'm looking forward to that.

I'm feeling so much better since joining ....I was at the height of my anxiety when I joined and it's all gone now...except for an occasional anxious moment.

My appetite is back full force.....some days I kinda wish for a little knot in my stomach, lol....Ive been eating more than I should to try and gain back a lb or two....I think Ive done that.

I also was on the verge of tears almost every day when this was going on...now I can't remember the last time I cried....

Knock on wood for everything I said. I know one weird health issue and I'll be back to being anxious....hope not though.

Curves is a goood distraction for me.

Last edited: Nov 3, 2018
  5. Hal Pollner

Registered

I had a friend who had an Obese daughter and he took her to Curves for several months, then took her out because she didn't lose any weight at all !

It wasn't Curves' fault...it was hers!

As with any exercise program, it's what YOU put into it that determines the results.

Hut Hut Hut,
    Hal

6. Chrissy Cross

Chrissy Cross Supreme Member
    Registered

Not everyone at Curves is overweight...in fact most of the older ladies are quite slim....but they do it for the exercise.

You also have to watch what you eat to lose weight, not just exercise.

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  7. Bobby Cole

Bobby Cole Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

Proud of ya man!!
    To tell the truth, I’ve never seen the types of machines you described but I said to myself, “in today’s tech world, why not?”.
    Question: As you progress, do the machines automatically sense the progression and tweak up a bit or does a trainer have to come by and do a reset?

Even though I love them, I understand the thing about not having free weights. There’s a whole bunch of people (including myself) who have literally gotten the stupid driven from their system by trying to be muscle men at the wrong time and with no training. As for myself, I learned the easy way but with some folks, it just takes a bit more punishment to drive stupid out and allow smart to take it’s place.
    When I first started lifting, I over stacked the bar and didn’t have my core set nor did I have my stance correct so consequently I almost pulled a groin muscle. One tug and no more overstacking and I learned how to lift.

But, I digress most sorely. Keep up the good work Hal !! I do hope you enjoy it as much as I do but then, I’m addicted to it........

8. Hal Pollner

Registered

@Bobby, when you use the machines at Nifty After Fifty, you reset, which wipes out all the previous users settings and resets your own according to the data on your key chip.

When you're doing your reps, just a touch of the button on the right-hand grip adds a pound of resistance, and the button on the left-hand grip subtracts a pound. You can add or subtract any number of pounds of resistance (weight) by repeatedly pushing the button. The key will remember the last setting you used during the workout on the machine.

The horizontal Aerobic machines are also fully adjustable. Every machine in the gym operates from a seated position.

Hal

Bobby Cole likes this.
  9. Bobby Cole

Bobby Cole Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

Great posts Hal! Sounds like you found a home away from home!!

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  10. Hal Pollner

Registered

I'll give it the old University Attempt! (College Try)

Hal

Bobby Cole likes this.