Jobs Where Being a Senior is An Advantage

Discussion in 'Senior Employment' started by Ruth Belena, Mar 2, 2015.

1. Frank Sanoica

Frank Sanoica Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

@Yvonne Smith
    @Ken Anderson

It's a pretty disgusting image, I admit, and one of the worst among the group I gathered together while working up a response for several P.C. pushers, who had lashed out because I fail to feel "compassion and consideration for others" (as they put it). You know, the types who are concerned more about murderers' "personal rights" than their deeds committed.

Maybe I should have just shut up.
    Frank

2. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Veteran Member
    Registered

Nah!

3. Kitty Carmel

Kitty Carmel Well-Known Member
    Registered

I've been looking for another job. I'd like to leave where I'm working for a number of reasons. I applied as a dispensing nurse at a methadone clinic. Half my pay and only part time. I was interviewed. I didn't get the job. It was obvious while I was waiting that no one working there looked over 30. Even the two who interviewed me were not over 40. I'm mid 50's. Was this the reason? I don't know.

At least older people don't go out on maternity leave. I've seen few people out for surgeries. A lot of maternity leave. One co worker even came in and gave her notice while on maternity leave. She had extra time to find another job I guess and never came back.

Frank Sanoica likes this.
  4. Frank Sanoica

Registered

It is, of course, illegal to discriminate based on age. We all believe that puts an end to discriminatory hiring practices, right? First, there are "loopholes". For example, a young man of 18 may work in Army Combat, while he cannot drive a truck for a living, most places. The government itself places a maximum age limit upon prospective enlistees. Lastly, how might one "prove" discrimination by age? Only if it was concretely known that qualifications for the job were well-above the norm, and that only one person applied, who was, turned down.
    Frank

Kitty Carmel likes this.
  5. Kitty Carmel

Kitty Carmel Well-Known Member
    Registered

I agree with your post Frank. I do think a lot of discrimination can be practiced and denied. All they have to say is that person was not the "right fit" or something. I do think age was one of the reasons I didn't get the job. They probably figured I wouldn't fit in with the others. I work with all ages though.

6. K E Gordon

K E Gordon Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

Yes, the not the right fit thing, is code for age discrimination I think. My sister who is 55 was really lucky in that she just got hired for a state geologist position in Pennsylvania,(mining regulation) and most of the employees are like 20 years younger than she is. She had excellent references, and a lot of experience in the field which made the difference I think, and PA has an older population to begin with. She also got one of the last jobs before they instituted a general hiring freeze. It was a real coup for her, and she needed the income as they will soon have two in college.

7. Frank Sanoica

Registered

@K E Gordon
    Kudos for your sister! Now and then, life's endeavors seem to work toward he individual's benefit!
    Frank

K E Gordon likes this.
  8. Texas Beth

Texas Beth Well-Known Member
    Registered

Reading your posts have been rather uplifting for me. I have been feeling depressed thinking that no one would hire me at 57. I am retired and my retirement income is not enough. I will pick myself up and start looking for part time jobs again. Thanks.

Yvonne Smith likes this.