Jobs Where Being a Senior is An Advantage

Discussion in 'Senior Employment' started by Ruth Belena, Mar 2, 2015.

1. K E Gordon

K E Gordon Veteran Member
    Registered

I am limited to a degree by my geography as this is a small area, and cities are 45 minutes to an hour away. My car is not the greatest. I have had a few jobs around this immediate area, but none of them worked out to my satisfaction. I have a Master's in counseling. I would love to find a low stress job on or offline, but with the exception of one decent one five years ago, that was short term in nature, none has materialized. I rent out a room and work online, but like most of us, I could use more cash...a lot more cash would be great.

Diane Lane and Joe Riley like this.
  2. Ike Willis

Ike Willis Supreme Member
    Registered

I once worked in a warehouse that would hire students from a local junior college on summer break. One day on lunch break, I was sitting on a loading dock eating my lunch. A few of these students wandered over and sat down. One asked me if I played chess. I said no, hearing some snickering in the background.
    The kid said "I'll teach you".
    Me, "You carrying a board around with you"?
    Kid, "We can play on paper."
    By then I figured he was just trying to amuse his friends and impress me with his intelligence, so I waited until he got out a sheet of paper and his pencil.
    "You go first," kid said.
    So, I got up and moved down to the next loading dock.

3. K E Gordon

K E Gordon Veteran Member
    Registered

I guess there must be some jobs where being a senior is an advantage. I think a job that requires patience, like any kind of educator, counselor even customer service being a senior could be an advantage. I think this is because being able to listen and relate what someone is going through, and relate it to their life experience is something that older people are frequently good at. I think the ability to be more reserved with judgment is something older people may be better at and can excel in.

4. Teresita Campaner

Teresita Campaner Veteran Member
    Registered

Your own experience provides a good illustration that the elderly can take on the role of mentor or sponsor to a younger person. That is an appropriate course of action, rather than suggesting the elderly to step aside to make room for a new generation of workers.

Bobby Cole likes this.
  5. Sandy Wood

Sandy Wood Veteran Member
    Registered

I have found there are lots of volunteer jobs that seniors can get but very few paying jobs. Every time I see a job offer that says no experience necessary I check it out being hopeful only to discover they want someone with a collage degree. I did not get to go to collage and so now with my disabilities this puts me in a very difficult position.
    When I was much young I would take anything from dog walking to shoveling dirt or mowing lawns and babysitting, cooking and etc.... But my health condition leave me in a lot of pain and weakness. So now I can not say for sure that I am able to work on a certain day of the week. I have searched on-line and found nothing that I could do to really increase my income.
    I am hoping that all of you might be able to provide me with some suggestions of where to look and what to do.

6. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

There are things that you can do on a flexible schedule, usually. Many of these are commission jobs, which means that you do not make any money unless you sell something, and since the employer only pays you for productivity, they will usually take anyone who wants to work.
    One of the things that I did for a couple of years was selling newspaper subscriptions. They gave me a little portable kiosk to set up and then I worked at different stores, depending on where they sent me. We offered a $50 drawing for that store, which got people over to my kiosk, and then I explained about whatever special we were offering for the newspaper.
    On days when my heart was fibrillating too much for me to do anything, I didn't have to go, since it was not like an office job where they expect you there every day.
    There are usually jobs for people to demo products at places like Costco or Sam's Club, and that might be something that you would like to do , although it would usually be a part-time position.

Our Senior Center here has listings for seniors who need rides to the doctor or shopping, or even someone to do the shopping for them. You would be paid by the person you are helping, and that might turn into a regular task that you could do for them and get paid to do.

Sandy Wood likes this.
  7. Sandy Wood

Sandy Wood Veteran Member
    Registered

I will check into some of your ideas. My biggest problem is I live in a small town that is mostly run by volunteers. If they can get volunteers to work for free then those of us who need to be paid have no where to go. Also most of the bigger stores and club shopping stores are an hour or more, away from where I live.
    I already do writing on-line but it does not pay much. I don't want to be a telemarketer, as I hate receiving those calls myself and don't want to bug other people.

8. Frank Sanoica

Frank Sanoica Supreme Member
    Registered

In our area, a predominantly retiree-living and resort area, we often encounter obviously senior age folks working at rather menial jobs, in stores and such. Several I have spoken to are doing custodial work in the resort hotels. I believe it is known by employers that oldsters are more punctual, more reliable, and more reticent to "fight back". I surely would personally have an old retired guy or gal face me at a check-out, than a young adult adorned with eyebrow-pierced hangings dripping blood......

Personally, I just don't understand the widespread shift amongst our younger generations away from traditional values, conventional and appropriate dress and appearance, and reverence for their forebears. These are our "future leaders"?

Given an appearance behind the local burger counter like this, how would you feel about eating?

[​IMG]

9. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff

I'm left wondering how "he" eats.

Ike Willis and Yvonne Smith like this.
  10. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff

That is an excellent point, @Ken Anderson ! ! The picture was SO repulsive that I didn't waste anytime looking at it, and didn't even want to post on this topic for fear of having to SEE that awful face again.
    However, after reading your post, I steeled myself to giving the picture a closer inspection, and you are truly right....... I have NO idea how that guy could eat.
    Plus, I am sure he has to make his own food, it is not likely that anyone else would want to be around him long enough to cook for him.
    I sure wouldn't !
    I can't imagine why anyone would want to look like that. Maybe he wanted to grow up and become a Witchdoctor when he was a little boy ?

Sandy Wood and Ken Anderson like this.
  11. Frank Sanoica

Registered

@Yvonne Smith
    @Ken Anderson

It's a pretty disgusting image, I admit, and one of the worst among the group I gathered together while working up a response for several P.C. pushers, who had lashed out because I fail to feel "compassion and consideration for others" (as they put it). You know, the types who are concerned more about murderers' "personal rights" than their deeds committed.

Maybe I should have just shut up.
    Frank

12. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff

Nah!

13. Kitty Carmel

Kitty Carmel Veteran Member
    Registered

I've been looking for another job. I'd like to leave where I'm working for a number of reasons. I applied as a dispensing nurse at a methadone clinic. Half my pay and only part time. I was interviewed. I didn't get the job. It was obvious while I was waiting that no one working there looked over 30. Even the two who interviewed me were not over 40. I'm mid 50's. Was this the reason? I don't know.

At least older people don't go out on maternity leave. I've seen few people out for surgeries. A lot of maternity leave. One co worker even came in and gave her notice while on maternity leave. She had extra time to find another job I guess and never came back.

Frank Sanoica likes this.
  14. Frank Sanoica

Registered

It is, of course, illegal to discriminate based on age. We all believe that puts an end to discriminatory hiring practices, right? First, there are "loopholes". For example, a young man of 18 may work in Army Combat, while he cannot drive a truck for a living, most places. The government itself places a maximum age limit upon prospective enlistees. Lastly, how might one "prove" discrimination by age? Only if it was concretely known that qualifications for the job were well-above the norm, and that only one person applied, who was, turned down.
    Frank

Kitty Carmel likes this.
  15. Kitty Carmel

Kitty Carmel Veteran Member
    Registered

I agree with your post Frank. I do think a lot of discrimination can be practiced and denied. All they have to say is that person was not the "right fit" or something. I do think age was one of the reasons I didn't get the job. They probably figured I wouldn't fit in with the others. I work with all ages though.

Frank Sanoica likes this.