J K Rowling, Transgender People

Discussion in 'In the News' started by Dwight Ward, Aug 11, 2020.

1. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

One-on-one I feel a human obligation to be compassionate.

I try to not let "movements" dictate how I treat individuals.
    That probably makes me a better friend to the individuals than their own "leaders."

Peter Renfro and Yvonne Smith like this.
  2. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Supreme Member
    Registered

In one respect or another, we all judge others. There are those that will absolutely not admit to doing it, but they do it.

3. Ed Wilson

Ed Wilson Veteran Member
    Registered

I watched Firing Line with Margaret Hoover on PBS at 8:30 PM one evening and she was interviewing Bruce (Caitlyn) Jenner while sitting crossed legged a few feet from each other. She displayed fine feminine appearance and Jenner a most masculine appearance with muscular legs and size 12 feet but dressed in drag. With PC playing such a dominant role theses days, no one wants to call him nuts.

Dwight Ward and Yvonne Smith like this.
  4. Peter Renfro

Peter Renfro Veteran Member
    Registered

I don't at all understand it, but then again I don't participate so I will mind my own business and keep my thoughts to myself!

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  5. John Brunner

Of course, but it's a matter of degree and any subsequent action you take (or don't take) afterwards.

6. Bobby Cole

Bobby Cole Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

The one question I have for anyone deciding to take such drastic measures to find joy is, do the changes do what you thought they would? If yes, then how long do you think it will take before you need something else to fill the need for happiness?
    If no, then what are you missing in your life that will bring that joy?

So many sad people out there thinking that a mate, a new job, a new house or new car, more wealth, a new born baby or even yes, a sex or gender change will bring them the ultimate degree of happiness just to find out that once they get what they want, they need something else.

Ed Wilson likes this.
  7. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

Well, I've been "trapped in a woman's body" for most of my life and so far, so good.

8. Bobby Cole

Bobby Cole Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

Women have been telling men to get in touch with our inner female selves so I did but she’s gay and likes females too.

9. Dwight Ward

Dwight Ward Veteran Member
    Registered

You guys are lucky. I'm trapped in a dog's body. A mutt at that. It's ruff. The last woman I flirted with told me I was barking up the wrong tree.
    At least it's a male dog's body.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2020
    Patsy Faye likes this.
  10. John Brunner

Part of it is an attention thing.
    Part of it is having something to belong to (somewhat the identity-seeking that cults provide where "family" didn't.)
    Part of it is the consumer culture of never being satisfied.
    In a weird way it's purely American. Talk about "reinventing yourself."

11. John Brunner

It's an interesting phrase, as though one's psyche is completely separate from one's physical being.

So how many kids are truly born androgynous and the doctor makes a subjective on-the-spot call? Would that not leave evidence? And could there be something going on genetically that does not manifest itself in any physical way?

I've not seen any genetic studies on these folks. Of course, there are others who are also "non-traditional" that don't want to know this stuff because it implies there is "something wrong" with them, and that they can be "fixed." Makes me think of those in the deaf community who are rabidly against those who get cochlear implants because of the "you're saying there's something wrong with me" implication. There was a huge protest at Gallaudet years ago when a president had been selected who had received implants. They wanted no part of her.

12. Dwight Ward

Registered

I had a close friend whose parents had both been deaf. He worked with the deaf at several institutions. I can't remember if one of them was Gallaudet.
    I lost my friend. He was hiking alone along the Appalachian Trail and slipped off a cliff and fell and was killed. He was a great guy.
    I wasn't around his clients much. I'm surprised that some have those extreme views.

13. John Brunner

I'm sorry to hear about your friend.

Cochlear implants are highly controversial in the deaf community. It's akin to seeking a fixable genetic cause for homosexuality. Not many gays are gonna be behind it. Some number would want such research shut down.

14. Dwight Ward

Registered

I guess most gays don't regret being gay. I don't think that's true, or as true, with the transsexual community. Many girls have regretted the irreversible changes the testosterone pills bring on, like a deepened voice and body hair, but they can't go back. It's a cult. They ruin their own lives and those of their families. What are your thoughts on this, John?

John Brunner likes this.
  15. John Brunner

I'd agree that most gay's don't regret being gay. But I don't think they would be behind efforts to find a "cure" for those who might choose to pursue such a thing because of the implications.

I don't know how those who pursue an irreversible sex change path might feel about their decision. You spoke before of hate speech being outlawed. I've spoken of science being dead, and existing as a political tool. I believe this is one of those subjects where the two intersect. And whatever lost souls may exist shall forever be lost.