Izzy Thinks He's A Cat

Discussion in 'Pets & Critters' started by Ina I. Wonder, Oct 10, 2016.

1. Ina I. Wonder

Ina I. Wonder Supreme Member
    Registered

Last night was second night in a row that Izzy woke me at 3:30am.

It's one more reason to move. Right after Michael died, my neighbor burned all the foliage off 'my' fence that separates the two properties. Just after they moved in about 13 years ago, I started to notice the junk he was starting to pile up on 'his' 10 acers. Can you see the eyesore? I spent over $300 for vining plants to obstruct the view. What else was there to do? This was a rural area, so there were no laws to stop him.

Next he started to pile trash up along my fence line, and now about 18 months since he started that, I'm starting to see an influx of mice.

We started to catch on about two months ago when Izzy started barking and going around the house like he was looking for something. So we bought a dozen sticky traps. Mice are smart, but I started pulling things out wherever Izzy showed an interest. I lost a couple old blankets that were made by my grandmother and some of my early artwork. Seems mice love paper too.

So far Izzy has caught and dispatched a dozen mice and one rabbit, ( rabbit was in 'his' yard). I started making sure there wasn't even a crumb left overnight, and all food for my pets was picked up by 8:pm. Next the mice started to come to our beds at night.

That a declaration of war as far as Izzy was concerned. Nothing gets into 'his' and mommy's bed but us.

Now I admit that I am a bit OCD, which helps me keep the place in order, but how do you fight ten acers of a trash pile? Grrrrrr!!!!!!!

Thanks for letting me rant.

IMG_3960.JPG

2. Chrissy Cross

Chrissy Cross Supreme Member
    Registered

That pic gives me the creeps, I've had enough of rats in my attic all summer. Pickles was afraid of them for some reason and that's how he ended up sleeping with me. I've let cats sleep with me but not dogs until now.

Rats are nocturnal so the scratching noise would begin at night and they weren't falling for the traps the pest control company set for them because most likely my neighbor had dog food outside and they weren't hungry when they came in my attic.

It took having all the entrances where they were getting in fixed or sealed to get rid of the problem. If they have a way in, there's not much you can do.

They told me a rat can get in a hole the size of a quarter so a mouse would need even less.

I have never had any dog food outside at my house, Pickles eats inside and I was making sure even that was put away at night...just in case.

You won't get much cleaner than my house in terms of crumbs or food out since I barely even cook...yet I had RATS!

Last edited: Oct 10, 2016
    Ina I. Wonder likes this.
  3. Patsy Faye

Patsy Faye Supreme Member
    Registered

Poor Ina - not fair :(

Chrissy Cross likes this.
  4. Chrissy Cross

Chrissy Cross Supreme Member
    Registered

Yep, that should make it easier for you to move @Ina I. Wonder mice and a rat for a neighbor. He sounds scary
    And I'm glad your grandson is there for now.

5. Honey Gee

Honey Gee Veteran Member
    Registered

That sounds awful Ina poor you.

Is there a department you can report your neighbour to as it is now causing vermin in your home and a health hazard I would imagine.

I sympathise as I hate rats and mice. Aaaaaaaagh.

6. Ina I. Wonder

Registered

He is @Chrissy Page. Within days of Michael dying, that neighbor came over and immediately started trying to touch and hug on me. Then he used the fact that he is Mexican to act like he didn't know that was inappropriate. After several attempts on his part I had to ask another neighbor to speak to him. He understood English that time. Just after that is when all the theft here started.

No @Honey Gee, although I live just outside of Houston, Texas, this neighborhood is still unincorporated. I'm sure it's just a matter of time, and them will be annexing us into the city proper soon. But until then there are no stipulations. Which in the long run will get me more money when I do sell. You can still start and run a business from your home here.

Diane Lane and Chrissy Cross like this.
  7. K E Gordon

K E Gordon Veteran Member
    Registered

Yikes,,,Can you call an exterminator? Mice in your bed...now that is going too far!!! I would not be able to take it...even having one in my room would be dreadful. I think maybe I have heard some in the pipes, but to the best of my knowledge, they have never made it into the house. Maybe you could call the county, and get them to come out and set your neighbor straight. It is definitely tough to put up with that kind of intrusion, and a helath hazard too.

8. Krissttina Isobe

Krissttina Isobe Veteran Member
    Registered

OMG! What a neighbor Ian has! Ina's neighbor sounds disturbed and if using trash to be a fence this is really bad. Here in Hawaii it's illegal to hoard trash anywhere on property even if you own your home. There was one woman who was doing just that and it became a mice and rat infested property. She was found to be unfit and her property was cleaned, she put in a hospital and now the property is free of debris. People can have junk on their property, like I see when I watch American Pickers, but the property owners keep it relatively clean. Ina's neighbor seems to be a bit disturbed, but I don't know where she can get help, sorry. I hope Ina gets help for rats and mice are very unclean creatures and carry diseases. God help you Ina! amen.

9. Ina I. Wonder

Registered

@K E Gordon, because of Izzy they haven't actually gotten into the bed so far. Mice don't like light, and my Sleep Number bed has a feature that let's your control two bedside table lights, and it has a nightlight feature that lights up beneath the bed. So, Izzy can see the mice.

There must be more than I thought, we found a 2&1/2 foot long snake in the house today. Bobert killed it and disposed of it. In all most 30 years, I have never had a snake in my home. It too must have been hunting mice.

@Krissttina Isobe thank you for the blessing. It is so frustrating. I'm his closest neighbor, so if I have the authorities talk to him, they just warn him of the fire threat since we have no water hydrants here. He then knows just who complained, and I end up with the consequences. Such as he will open my inner gates and Izzy gets out of our yard. This has happened at least threee times so far. We double latch the gates, so we know it's not accidental.

Diane Lane and Krissttina Isobe like this.
  10. Krissttina Isobe

Krissttina Isobe Veteran Member
    Registered

:)You're welcome. Take care Ina.

11. Diane Lane

Diane Lane Veteran Member
    Registered

Oh no, I didn't realize the mice were getting in the bed. Ugh. My cats sleep on the bed, so that's unlikely to happen here. I've never seen a mouse or rat here, even outside, but of course other things do get in occasionally. I feel bad for the random lizards that come in, because the cats gang up on them. Thankfully for the lizards, they're usually able to drop their tails and scurry off, which the cats are left in a circle, transfixed by the flipping tail.

It sounds as if you have some less than desirable neighbors. I hope when you move to the new place that situation improves, and it's good to know that your grandson will be living with you, so if there are issues, he can address them, and perhaps just his presence will head off any issues.