I've Got A Problem

Discussion in 'Shopping & Sales' started by Bill Boggs, Mar 26, 2018.

1. Bill Boggs

Bill Boggs Supreme Member
    Registered

It's a mouse problem. My wife saw a mouse or thought she did, then she saw mouse pills on the dryer in the garage. So if she suspects a mouse is with-in 50 feet of our property, I've got a problem. It used to be I'd stop by a Farm and Ranch Supply and buy something that would kill the buggers but today you can't buy anything effective. I have searched the internet for some effective rat and mouse poison. No dice. There are companies who advertise they can rid your property, but who can you trust. They may have a license but they can't buy anything I effective either, I'm thinking. For hert I think traps are out of the question. Anyone have any ideas?

Neville Telen likes this.
  2. Chrissy Cross

Chrissy Cross Supreme Member
    Registered

I had roof rat problems a couple years ago...it was a nightmare.

I had Clarks Pest control at the time and they came and set traps in the attic but never caught anything.

Finally called another company who came and checked the whole house to see where they were coming in.

Found 8 places...a rat can fit in a hole the size of a quarter. Cost $800 but haven't had a problem since then.

Also...Clarks told me to put steel wool in a hole I had near my roof. Of course that only lasted for awhile and I had more than that hole.

Bill Boggs likes this.
  3. May Benot

May Benot Veteran Member
    Registered

Ratsak Rat & Mouse Baits Double Strength 350G ( forgot how to link, lol ...google it)

When my old neighbour's pigeon loft was removed, we had what seemed like 1000's of mice/rats around ... can you buy Ratsak in your town? .. very effective and no mess

Bill Boggs likes this.
  4. Frank Sanoica

Frank Sanoica Supreme Member
    Registered

Nearly everyone has heard of Warfarin, also known as Coumadin, the original rat poison, now "fed" to humans in small quantity to "thin" the blood, lessening clot formation.

Ratsak is Brodifacoum, similar but much more effective, and has a much longer effective life. "Brodifacoum is a 4-hydroxycoumarin anticoagulant, with a similar mode of action to its historical predecessors dicoumarol and warfarin. However, due to very high potency and long duration of action (elimination half-life of 20 – 130 days), it is characterised as a "second generation" or "superwarfarin" anticoagulant."
    see: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brodifacoum

Veterinarians have seen an upswing in poisonings of pets since it's use became common. Since it is long-lived in the body, the antidote, Vitamin K, must be administered for a relatively long time.
    Frank

Bill Boggs likes this.
  5. Bill Boggs

Registered

@May Benot & @Frank Sanoica I don't think we can get this on the open market, for example on Amazon. So much of anything that works is regulated. Do you know if this is available, Frank?

6. Don Alaska

Don Alaska Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

If you can keep it away from pets and children, you can make your own poison using boric acid. If you mix 50/50 boric acid and peanut butter, the buggers will die of boron poisoning, but you must make certain that nothing else can get to it. I think ethylene glycol would work as well. Neither are probably humane, but they work. Boric acid also works well for bugs like cockroaches and such, and, last I checked, there has never been a case of anything developing a resistance to boron poisoning. Another option--tell your wife--would be snakes. Snakes will eat rats until there are no more rats and the snakes can get into places that cats cannot. The snakes in theory will leave when there is no more food around.

Did you contact your local farm supply store?

Bill Boggs likes this.
  7. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

I would recommend a cat, but not THIS cat.

cat-rat.jpg

8. May Benot

May Benot Veteran Member
    Registered

Ratsak formula has been modified and is avaiiable from most supermarkets here, must be kept away from pets but this is easy to do with targetted areas ... never had any problems with my dog/cat

Bill Boggs and Frank Sanoica like this.
  9. Sheldon Scott

Sheldon Scott Supreme Member
    Registered

Bill Boggs and Chris Ladewig like this.
  10. Holly Saunders

Holly Saunders Supreme Member
    Registered

Oh I would lend you our super duper mice catcher miniature labradoodle Stanley...he's a demon , he can sniff out a mouse at a hundred yards... and he won't stop until he's torn the place apart getting it...but sadly he lives in Spain, so he'd be a very expensive solution lol

Bill Boggs likes this.
  11. Bobby Cole

Bobby Cole Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

Hey Bill. Ratoff, or De Con are readily available on Amazon and feed stores in pellet or cube form.
    One of the houses I rent had a pretty big rat problem and all I did was buy a bucket of the Ratoff cubes from a feed store, took the top off and put the bucket under the house. No more rats. I had a similar problem with another house and got the DeCon rat pellets from Amazon and sliced the bag and put it under that house. Again, no more rats.
    Both only cost about 20 beans but there is a caveat. When rats die, they die wherever it is that they do it whether under the house, in between walls or under your kitchen cabinet. It's best to have a good sized bottle of a good odor reducer handy because about 3 or so days after they die they will start to smell. It only lasts for a couple of days but nonetheless, it's a natural process of decay and one does have to be prepared for it.

There are also some rat poison dispensers available on Amazon and also at the local department stores that seem to work. You put the cube in the dispenser and the mice go through the thing, eat what they want and go somewhere to die. The problem is, the dispensers are more geared toward mice rather than the near squirrel size rats I see around here so I just open the package and let whatever happens happen.
    Do Note: However, if one does simply open the container, it is open for whatever creature wishes to dine so care must be taken in order that cats or whatever animal you do not wish to harm is not exposed to the poison.

12. Chrissy Cross

Chrissy Cross Supreme Member
    Registered

That's what I was worried about with poisons @Bobby Cole ....a rat or rats dying in my walls or attic. Also, feared the rat eating it and dying outside where a cat could eat the poisoned rat.

I do get neighbor's cats in my yard.

I don't think Pickles would eat a dead rat but who knows.

When Clarks Pest Control's traps weren't catching my rats, he said they're not allowed to use poison but I could buy some and he'd put it in the attic for me but I declined.

Bobby Cole and Bill Boggs like this.
  13. Bill Boggs

Registered

Thank you to everyone who replied and offered suggestions. Based on your suggestions I have looked at Amazon and a number of other online concerns and have ordered a bucket of pellets from Granger, who used to be known as W.W. Granger, an industrial supplier with whom I have in the past done business. shopping.jpeg

This one.

14. Neville Telen

Neville Telen Veteran Member
    Registered

If you can find the hole they are entering through, it's easy enough. Buy some 'Play-Doh', and stopper the hole. The mouse or rat will eat through it. Now get some poison. I prefer 'D-Con Ready Mix Baitbits Mice Rats Brodifacoum 3oz'. Mix it up with the Play-Doh and plug the mousehole again. That was all it took for my invaders to move on.

Frank Sanoica likes this.