It's Snowing! Favorite Winter Food?

Discussion in 'Food & Drinks' started by Nikos Pine, Feb 2, 2015.

1. Nikos Pine

Nikos Pine Veteran Member
    Registered

It is snowing like the dickens out there! I have not been out yet, but I was watching them shovel and it appears to be at least a foot! I have been inside cooking one of my winter time favorites, chili. I always eat it with shredded cheddar cheese and sour cream. I use two kinds of beans, both kidney and black. I feel it gives the finished product a better texture. It is simmering on the stove as I type this, can't wait to eat it! What is your favorite winter comfort food?

2. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

Yeah, we're getting some snow here too. It looks pretty light, not speaking of volume but the ease in which it should shovel.

Nikos Pine likes this.
  3. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff

I got a large container of chicken boullion powder, and we use that to make a quick hot soup drink. I like a hot cup of soup along with my salad or sandwich, and the chicken soup mix is about as fast annd easy as it gets.
    I found a company that seels large containers of food, not only for survival foods, but just to have a supply at home; and I actually ordered both the chicken boullion soup mix and also some cream of mushrooms soup mix.
    All you have to do is heat up some water and stir in a spoonful of the soup mix in your cup , and you can quickly warm up with this.

4. Pat Baker

Pat Baker Supreme Member
    Registered

Chilli with beans is also my comfort food during the cold weather. I will make some corn bread to go with the chilli and just enjoy also mac and cheese if I don't do the chilli.

5. Nikos Pine

Nikos Pine Veteran Member
    Registered

@Pat Baker Oh I absolutely love Mac n Cheese as well, that is another one of my favorites. That is even good with the chili, then you can have Chili Mac n Cheese, all home made! Oh now I am making myself hungry just thinking about that! I also totally forgot how good cornbread goes with it, I should have made some!
    @Yvonne Smith I really enjoy broth as well, it is good as a hot drink in a mug even! They say this year broth is going to be a very popular drink, I keep seeing in magazines and the such it is the new "thing" so you are ahead of the game! One of my favorite soups is the Lipton soup packages with those little tiny noodles. I wish that broth came in powder form, I would buy it!

6. Sarah Price

Sarah Price Veteran Member
    Registered

I would say probably a roast put in the crock pot with onions and carrots. I also add olive oil in the hope that it tenderizes the meat somewhat. The meat does seem to fall apart when it's done so I guess at least the olive oil isn't hurting the tenderizing process. Of course chocolate is my favorite "comfort" food and that is good all year round! :)

7. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff

Chili, gumbo, or most soups are nice in cold weather.

8. Mal Campbell

Mal Campbell Supreme Member
    Registered

Not really a food, but for me, when I've been out playing in the snow (I'm still a kid at heart and enjoy a good snowball fight or snow angel), I like a big steaming mug of homemade hot chocolate - with milk, cocoa powder, lots of sugar and vanilla, and a touch of salt - heated almost to boiling, then poured into a big ceramic mug, so it warms my hands at the same time it warms my innards!! I guess I really am still a kid!

9. Betty Johnstone

Betty Johnstone Veteran Member
    Registered

We've got blustery winds out there but thankfully its not snowing again...Not YET!! One of my favorite winter foods is my homemade chili or my chicken noodle soup. I always make a big pot of each and freeze containers for future use. Its great to just pop a container out of the freezer and have a nice home cooked meal with little fuss.

10. Susan Long

Susan Long Veteran Member
    Registered

I think if I were in the middle of snowy weather today, I would like to have a large bowl of chicken gumbo with nice thick, freshly baked bread. Also, while I am still placing my order, I would like a nice, tall glass of milk and a cup of coffee with half & half. I am enjoying this already in my mind!

11. Lizel

Lizel Guest

The best thing I like doing in the Winter is sitting on my sofa in the evening with an interesting book and a cup of hot milk with blackberries. :D
    That's really what I enjoy doing and it really relaxes me to bits.

12. Lizel

Lizel Guest

13. John Donovan

John Donovan Veteran Member
    Registered

It isn't snowing where I live, but my favorite winter food is some good old chicken soup, as my grandmother used to cook when I was a kid.