It's Official - Roe V Wade Is Overturned

Discussion in 'Politics & Government' started by Hoot Crawford, Jun 24, 2022.

1. Bobby Cole

Bobby Cole Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

The very bottom line is this; from puberty up, men and women have to start acting more responsibly.

Whether people think the SCOTUS decision is going to threaten the freedom of womankind or not, maybe in some ways the decision will make people start thinking about the scores of ways to prevent pregnancy to begin with instead of shooting craps and hoping pregnancy doesn’t occur.

There’s only a couple of 100% sure ways to prevent pregnancy and a bunch of 98-99+% ways to prevent pregnancy so if a couple can’t figure out between the two which method they are going to use then whatever happens, happens.

It takes about the same amount of time to use a foam, jell, take a pill, use a prophylactic etc as it does to put a seat belt on before driving a car so to me it’s a no brainer.

Instead of conversing and protesting about the pros and cons of abortion, why aren’t people (and the media) upset about those who refuse to use the various contrivances to avoid it in the first place?

Al Amoling, Don Alaska and Faye Fox like this.
  2. Don Alaska

Don Alaska Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

I have heard some discussion about making birth control pill an OTC item. There are hazardous side effects, but there are also side effects to acetaminophen and ibuprophen....

3. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

I thought that the level of estrogen was individually determined, but this is knowledge from years ago.

Making these OTC is really not solving anything, considering there already are many ways to get them cheaply/for free. Where's the benefit (other than to put them in the reach of kids.) It's pure misdirection.

Al Amoling likes this.
  4. Don Alaska

Don Alaska Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

I don't know the wisdom of it, but I did read that some were advocating it to make it more available. Some are also advocating for the same thing for the "morning after" pill. I guess it would be the same as a condom in the first case, but it would take at least some forethought. In the second case, it would make up for an "oops" night.

5. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

Generally speaking, people need to live their own lives and stop passing judgement on others. If it doesn't affect you, why do you believe you have the right to say what others may or may not do with their own body and their own life? If you don't want to take a newborn and raise it, then kindly shut up about saving the embryos. Condemning a woman to a lifetime of dealing with an unwanted child is cruel to both of them.

I'll just add that I have read some liberal comments on other boards about the RvW outcome causing a "blue wave" at midterms. What horse manure. People are much more concerned about the cost of basic necessities than the ongoing debate over abortion. A small percentage of hysterical morons won't even cause a ripple in the pond of the midterms.

Faye Fox likes this.
  6. Shirley Martin

Shirley Martin Supreme Member
    Registered

I'm not too sure about that, @Beth Gallagher . I have been a Republican every since I registered because I thought the R party believed in less government control. To me, that includes less control of a woman's right to choose to have a child or not.

Whether it's right or wrong, it's not the government's place to decide for her. I have never been in a situation that I needed an abortion and, at this point in my life, never will be. However, I think other women should have the right to choose.

I haven't decided who I'm going to vote for this election but I can assure you that whoever it is, I will know where they stand on abortion before I vote for them.

BTW, doesn't the constitution guarantee the right to privacy? Wouldn't that include a woman's right to privacy about her body?

Last edited: Jun 26, 2022
    Nancy Hart and Bobby Cole like this.
  7. Beth Gallagher

Registered

That's why I'm happy to say I am neither Democrat nor Republican, @Shirley Martin . I definitely lean to the right but I have to take a lot into consideration when I vote. I'm more "issue oriented" and though I have definite opinions about abortion rights I am not nearly as concerned over that as I am the cost of living. I believe that with women's rights, it's one step forward and 2 steps back.

I have not had an abortion nor have I ever needed one; in fact, I don't believe I could have aborted a child of mine but thankfully I'll never know. I do not judge people who unfortunately had to make that choice; I know it cannot be done lightly or for "convenience" sake as some people say. It must be one of the most difficult things anyone ever has to do.

That said, I don't want ANYONE telling me what I am compelled to do when it comes to my body and my life.

8. Bobby Cole

Bobby Cole Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

Funny thing.
    When I object to American tax dollars going to Ukraine, I get a no doubt.
    When I object to American tax dollars going to support someone on death row for 20+ years, nearly everyone agrees.
    When I object to tax dollars going for grants to study a shrimp on a treadmill, yup, you’re right guy.

I can go on and on about how much money is spent out of the tax funds, the funds that we Americans pay into whether we agree on how our money is spent or not and yup, everyone seems to nod their heads.

Yet, the minute I suggest that I do not like my taxes to go for supporting convenience abortion and the clinics involved, it’s none of my business.

When the people involved start spending their own money on whatever their hearts desires are, then it’s none of my business.

Al Amoling and Don Alaska like this.
  9. Beth Gallagher

Registered

Are all abortions paid for by taxpayers?? Honestly, I have no idea who pays. I "assumed" the individual having the procedure was responsible for the associated costs so I never gave it much thought. I also believed that most abortion clinics are private businesses; is that not the case?

ETA: Found on Forbes...

[​IMG]

Bobby Cole likes this.
  10. Shirley Martin

Registered

I have no problem with my tax money helping pay for abortions for poor women who can't afford it. The rich can pay for their own but if a poor woman should have an unwanted pregnancy, she is welcome to my tax money. I can think of a lot worse things that our tax money is spent on.

Nancy Hart and Beth Gallagher like this.
  11. Faye Fox

Faye Fox Veteran Member
    Registered

For me, the abortion issue will not change how I vote. I am a lifelong independent and the only thing I can say is I won't vote for one single Democrat. This overblown and misrepresented abortion issue will affect the midterms as much as will little baby ducks farting on Lake Superior.

12. Shirley Martin

Registered

Al Amoling and Faye Fox like this.
  13. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

14. Faye Fox

Faye Fox Veteran Member
    Registered

Whatever is the maximum mama duck chooses to hatch. There will be less if the mama duck decides to destroy some eggs before hatching.:oops:

15. Shirley Martin

Registered

But it's still her right to choose, isn't it? Or don't mama ducks have rights?