It's Mardi Gras Time In My Home Town

Discussion in 'Holidays & Traditions' started by Babs Hunt, Jan 9, 2017.

1. Babs Hunt

Babs Hunt Supreme Member
    Registered

http://www.history.com/topics/holidays/mardi-gras

https://www.lafayettetravel.com/events/festivals/mardi-gras/

http://mardigraslafayette.net/
    th (8).jpg th (7).jpg

When I was young Mardi Gras in Louisiana was one of my favorite Holidays. School closed down, there were lots of parades where you could catch all kinds of trinkets, there were Carnivals that came to town so you could enjoy all the rides and play all their games and hopefully win prizes to take home with you. In the Country there were Trail Rides where you rode horses and stopped at different homes to chase and catch chickens for the big pot of gumbo that was cooking at the desinated place where the trail ride ended and the good times started rolling. On Mardi Gras Day after the last parade had finished its route "main street downtown" was closed off and everyone walked up and down that street listening to bands and dancing along with the music while feeding your hunger from food carts and stands located from one end of main street to the other. You could walk around drinking your beer, etc. (after I became of legal age) and there were cops here and there to make sure everyone stayed out of trouble. It was a fun time in my life...almost a fantasy land and everyone "passed a good time."

Now I'm almost 66 years old and Mardi Gras is still going strong! But the only thing I really enjoy about it now are the King Cakes which started out being basically a large cinnamon roll shaped in a ring with royal colored icing on it and a plastic baby hidden somewhere in it. Whoever cut the piece with the baby in it had to buy the next King Cake. Now they add different flavored "puddings or fillings" to the inside of the cake along with the baby and they still are a treat to eat.

I don't do Mardi Gras anymore for many reasons. But once it was a good and innocent fun time in my life and I enjoyed my season of Mardi Gras very much.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2017
  2. Ike Willis

Ike Willis Supreme Member
    Registered

That would be a thing to experience.:)

Babs Hunt likes this.
  3. Babs Hunt

Babs Hunt Supreme Member
    Registered

@Ike Willis You would probably like the Mardi Gras celebrations in New Orleans where they are wild and crazy and anything goes! ;) I never wanted to go to one over there...but I knew plenty of people who did...and who came back with stories that had my ears red and my face blushing just from their stories.

Ike Willis likes this.
  4. Babs Hunt

Babs Hunt Supreme Member
    Registered

My hometown of Lafayette, LA has lots of things to do, and lots of great cajun food. The only thing missing is a nice beach with beautiful water like in Florida. Our beaches here in Louisiana tend to be more like the "muddy Mississippi" and I wish we had alot more closer good fishing spots. But there is always something going on here and there are so many friendly people here that even though I may have seen prettier places in my life to live...over all Lafayette has been a good place to call home. :)

So @Ike Willis If you can find a way to get here....my Honey and I will take you to Mardi Gras and let you pass a good time too. :p

Diane Lane and Ike Willis like this.
  5. Patsy Faye

Patsy Faye Supreme Member
    Registered

I've seen footage Babs, looks good, but then I appreciate anyone playing music for the people
    Isn't it the same with funerals over there, marching band to the Church ?

6. Babs Hunt

Babs Hunt Supreme Member
    Registered

Well I never have heard that one before @Patsy Faye or have I seen this but it might happen in New Orleans for the funeral of a prominent citizen black person there. In fact I might have seen a News cast on this somewhere in the past. ;)

I can remember when my fellow classmates in South Carolina thought we who lived in Louisiana had to make our way to school through the swamps in pirouges. That might have happened some time before Louisiana was ever settled and progress found its way to us. But today we have progressed far beyond those myths...even though often I may think that progression has been in the wrong direction. When it comes right down to it Patsy we here in cajunland are not much different than the rest of America or the World....although we do like to keep on "passing a good time" no matter what the rest of the world is doing.:p

7. Patsy Faye

Registered

Yea - I've confused you
    I have seen footage recently and in the past, St. Louis where funeral processions were accompanied by a band
    Think it's great meself and wouldn't mind - when my time comes :D

Diane Lane likes this.
  8. Babs Hunt

Babs Hunt Supreme Member
    Registered

No, you haven't confused me Patsy...I actually believe I have seen that done in New Orleans for some "prominent" people. But we don't do that in Lafayette that I know of. There is though many funerals that "celebrate" not the death of loved ones...but the lives they lived while on this earth. And that to me is a good thing. :)

Diane Lane and Patsy Faye like this.
  9. Patsy Faye

Registered

ha ha - it was me that was confused :p
    Yep, I like that life is celebrated

Babs Hunt likes this.
  10. Babs Hunt

Babs Hunt Supreme Member
    Registered

@Patsy Faye I want you to know that you make my life brighter each day that I feel your "smile" and humor here on this Forum. You are a true blessing in my life..and probably many others too. Thank you! :)

Patsy Faye likes this.
  11. Ike Willis

Ike Willis Supreme Member
    Registered

Thanks for the offer, but my traveling days are over. I:) don't even leave my building less I have to.

Diane Lane, Patsy Faye and Babs Hunt like this.
  12. Babs Hunt

Babs Hunt Supreme Member
    Registered

Oh @Ike Willis I knew that...just as I know much of my adventurous travels will be only in my mind from now on...but isn't it great that the Internet can take us there so realistically now days. :)

Ike Willis and Patsy Faye like this.
  13. Frank Sanoica

Frank Sanoica Supreme Member
    Registered

@Babs Hunt
    Might I take this opportunity to ask you, having just learned of your location, how you were affected by Hurricane Katrina, and what your personal "take" is/was regarding Mayor Ray Nagin?

"Judge Helen Ginger Berrigan, a Bill Clinton appointee to the federal bench, ordered a pre-sentencing investigation. On July 9, 2014, Nagin was sentenced to ten years' imprisonment, and more than $585,000 in restitution and forfeiture.[8] Berrigan recommended that Nagin be sent to the Federal Correctional Complex, Oakdale".

I had always suspected that during the turmoil of aftermath, weeding through the news hoopla carefully, that Nagin was framed. The recovery efforts were so despoiled by corruption, including that by FEMA, that overall, the situation reeked of need to slap the blame on a scapegoat.
    Frank

14. Babs Hunt

Babs Hunt Supreme Member
    Registered

Yes you may @Frank Sanoica. Mayor Ray Nagin should have been put in prison for the lives he didn't "save" or even show concern for during Hurricane Katrina. If he erred..it should have been on the number of lives saved...not lost!

I completely understand that he had never "faced" a situation such as this...but in any situation a leader should have the common sense to make the decisions that will be best for "ALL" those he is responsible for.....and he not only failed miserably at this....but also showed he had no concern but anyone but those "elite" who probably put him in Office in the first place.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2017
  15. Frank Sanoica

Frank Sanoica Supreme Member
    Registered

@Babs Hunt
    I see. What might be said about FEMA? We saw newscasts showing several thousand temporary dwellings they brought in, which could not be inhabited due to contamination with asbestos or something. The head man of FEMA was fired, as I recall. His previous experience was said to be as a bureaucrat rather than public safety.