It Must Be Christmas Somewhere

Discussion in 'Crops & Gardens' started by Steve North, Jun 21, 2016.

1. Steve North

Steve North Supreme Member
    Registered

It must be Christmas somewhere in the world as my Christmas Cactus is in full bloom and it is the end of June..
    It has red and pink flowers and loads of them...... really in full bloom....

I know I live way up north, but is that the reason ?????

2. Julie Stewart

Julie Stewart Veteran Member
    Registered

You're in Canada - I can tell you that I saw the same here in France, in the center of Paris, last week ......

Krissttina Isobe likes this.
  3. Steve North

Registered

Julie..
    I originally come from Quebec City and I was wondering if it is the French connection that is making my Christmas bloom in June...
    Voila !!!! La raison ....

Julie Stewart and Yvonne Smith like this.
  4. Diane Lane

Diane Lane Veteran Member
    Registered

My family comes from Canada, and perhaps that is why I always think of Christmas in June and July. The Christmas tunes start going through my head, and it makes me happy. I love Christmas. I guess I should buy a Christmas cactus, it would be nice to see something in the house in bloom, and the cats would probably leave that alone.

Julie Stewart likes this.
  5. Texas Beth

Texas Beth Veteran Member
    Registered

I used to have a pen pal who lived in Australia. She told me they have Christmas during our summer.

6. Julie Stewart

Julie Stewart Veteran Member
    Registered

@Steve North - it must be, what other possible reason is there????

7. Krissttina Isobe

Krissttina Isobe Veteran Member
    Registered

I like Christmas time too. Here in Hawaii where it's the last place for everything for we are the end of the cycle from the Greenwich Mean time, so we enjoy time a lot locally. Christmas is green and cheery. Now days the Children get shipped in snow to play with. When I was a girl Santa would go around the island throwing candies to us as he passed by our homes and I loved it! We didn't get snow shipped in but we saw Santa going by our home! The Christmas plants must be nice to see now! On television we have Christmas in July at Hallmark station.

Joe Riley likes this.
  8. Frank Sanoica

Frank Sanoica Supreme Member
    Registered

I think if I lived in a place without seasons, basically, I would grow bored. Hawaii was nice, to be sure. Got to go there as a tag along with my wife, whose company sent her there for a national meeting, in 1985. Wouldn't you know it! We took no jackets or warm clothing, and when my nephew picked us up when we returned home, to Phoenix, it was record cold! 25 degrees at the airport, 1:00AM, I was in my shirtsleeves!

The Desert does get seasons, of sorts. Wide temperature variations, but no extreme lows. 25` was pretty unusual. OTOH, my first winter in Las Vegas, it dropped to 11` one night, killing most of the palm trees lining Charleston Blvd.! Frank

Joe Riley likes this.
  9. Chrissy Cross

Chrissy Cross Supreme Member
    Registered

@Frank Sanoica , I can't imagine Vegas dipping that low. Fresno is hot but Vegas is always a few degrees warmer.

On very rare occasions we will hit freezing or a little below in the winter and all the agriculture people worry and scurry to cover orchards with plastic and have fire torches lit. Only takes one frost to ruin a crop.

10. Steve North

Registered

OK folks............. Let me tell you that my Christmas cactus plant has been moved from the house to the patio outside for the summer months..
    We water that plant regularly and it gets lots of sun and lately, lots of heat..
    It has grown bigger in size in no time and as far as flowers goes, we have white, pink and red flowers all the time..

Like I originally said,...........

IT MUST BE CHRISTMAS SOMEWHERE FOR THE CHRISTMAS PLANT TO BLOOM LIKE THAT .....
    Or maybe living way up north, it is confused like the rest of us up here..
    We are presently experiencing a heat wave like we have NEVER seen before ..................

Yvonne Smith and Joe Riley like this.
  11. Joe Riley

Joe Riley Supreme Member
    Registered

12. Steve North

Registered

My plant has almost lost all its flowers..

CHRISTMAS MUST BE OVER.....

It is now just a plain green cactus plant but it has many light green tips where new growth is happening..

Yvonne Smith and Joe Riley like this.
  13. Diana Kristof

Diana Kristof Veteran Member
    Registered

@Steve North My mother had a Christmas cactus. It had belonged to her aunt, she took it on after her aunt died. I can remember through all my childhood it sat on this one table near a window and did nothing but grow green leaves. Long, luscious, healthy green leaves, but no flowers. Then, at some point, someone told her she should put it in a dark room and give it less water. Apparently the cactus would bloom every year if it was kept this way a lot of the time. Now, for a cactus to be blooming more than usual instead of less, I have no idea why it would do that! But I guess one can't complain about too many flowers, right? :)

Marilyn Pahl likes this.
  14. Steve North

Registered

OK................... I realise that Christmas is coming soon, but our Christmas cactus is just starting to show some red bulb flowers on the ends.. Last time it bloomed we had both red and white flowers..
    There are so many, that it would be hard to count.. This small plant has NEVER had that many blooms in its life..
    I wonder if it is because we had the plant in the pot outside for the summer.. Naturally the plant is indoors now as we have had SNOW already.. We have it on a shelving unit in front of the patio window in the kitchen..
    The end of June was the last time we had flowers.. Seems to be twice a year we are blessed to the beauty..

15. Diane Lane

Diane Lane Veteran Member
    Registered

I'd love to see pictures of your Christmas cactus @Steve North. Since it's almost the end of October, maybe I'll start seeing them in the stores here, but it will probably still be a bit before that happens. I am definitely getting excited about the Christmas season, and am already thinking about how I'll decorate. I don't know how much the Christmas cacti cost, but I wouldn't mind having one, and I think it might do well down here.