It Is Yard Sale Time Again!

Discussion in 'Shopping & Sales' started by Yvonne Smith, Mar 4, 2017.

1. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

The yard sales are starting to pop up , and that is something that I always look forward to each year. We went to one just down the road from us today, and they had a combination set that included a battery operated string trimmer and also a leaf blower. They each came with a 20 volt battery and a charging bracket , and the batteries are interchangible for each one.
    We have other weedeaters, but my favorite one has turned out to be my Black and Decker one that is also battery operated. It is much easier to start and operate than my gas powered one, but I don't have to have a power cord like I do with the little electric ones.
    So, when I saw this one at the yard sale, I was elated !
    If I have two of these, one can always be charging while I am using the other one, plus this new one came with two batteries, since one is for the leaf blower, so I should always have at least one of them charged up and ready to use.
    They were asking $30; but I offered them $20, and they accepted that. When I got home, I looked it up online, and the set sells new for $180; so now I am really pleased ! !
    We have the battery packs charging, and they will be ready to go by tomorrow if the weather is nice. The leaf blower is perfect for cleaning off the porch and sidewalk, and then I can take the trimmer to the weeds growing up around the sidewalk.

Don Alaska likes this.
  2. Babs Hunt

Babs Hunt Supreme Member
    Registered

Our neighbor, actually our Landlord's daughter and a friend had a garage sale yesterday right in the big front yard she share's with us as a tenant in her dad's cozy Acadiana cottages. They weren't very knowledgeable about how to have a successful garage sale though and didn't sell much at all. My Honey found out they were selling things that previous tenants of her dad's left behind when they moved from all the rental properties he owns along with a few things they had no use for anymore either. But they had no tables to set things up on, everything pretty much was in big black garbage bags or totes, etc. I wish she would have said something to us earlier then I could have helped her set up and organize things so that she would have had a better chance at selling more stuff. Years ago my neighbor and I used to have a garage sale every Spring and every Fall and we got really good at this. Plus we were located on a street where traffic was high.

When I was raising my own kids I loved to find bargains at garage sales, but now that it is just my Honey and me we don't go garage sale shopping because we are down sizers who just don't want alot of stuff anymore. But if we did need something a garage sale is a good place to find that something for hardly nothing like you did Yvonne.

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  3. Missy Lee

Missy Lee Veteran Member
    Registered

The sales won't start here for at least a month but I shall be ready. It's such a fun thing, you talk to people, you get a little exercise walking around and you might even get a bargain or two.

And it's sort of like forced savings....you pick up a bunch of stuff, and when you get tired of it you have your own sale and re-coup the money. Bonus!

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  4. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

The church I most recently went to has a yard sale in March and one in September. They advertise heavily. One woman drove over an hour for a daggone yard sale!!! It started at 8AM, I got there at 10AM. People showed up at 7:30AM and it was raining, so they let the early birds wait inside but did not let them shop until 8. I saw pictures...it was a mob.

I got to see folks I've not spoken with since I stopped going to church, and accomplished my main mission for going: homemade jams & preserves. There are a few locals who set up displays of their wares for sale at this event, and they make the best strawberry and blueberry jam. Coincidentally, I found a pak of lens cloths for my glasses. I was just on Amazon last night looking, and got overwhelmed by choice and by negative reviews, so I deferred buying. Today I got what I needed for $1.

Man, I love picking through other people's used stuff.

5. Mary Robi

Mary Robi Veteran Member
    Registered

I stopped at two this morning on the way to a party, both "community garage sales". What a bust. The first one, I drove up and down the streets and found one...count'em...one sale. The other one had two sales going on, neither one impressive.

6. Ed Wilson

Ed Wilson Veteran Member
    Registered

I was avoiding estate and yard sales during covid but went to a few last year. One estate sale was indoors and all the windows were open with a breeze, so they must have had covid on their mind too.

You get to see how others have lived at estate sales but you have to look at dead peoples stuff. I won't buy clothing just for that reason, plus it may be carrying something you don't want.

John Brunner likes this.