Israel's Reaction To Protesters

Discussion in 'Politics & Government' started by Hal Pollner, May 15, 2018.

1. Hal Pollner

Hal Pollner Veteran Member
    Registered

Boy, Israel sure knows how to handle protesters, huh?

Hal

2. Bill Boggs

Bill Boggs Supreme Member
    Registered

Yeah, they do. They've been practicing most of my lifetime

3. Shirley Martin

Shirley Martin Supreme Member
    Registered

According to what I have read, this was not a protest; it was a deliberate confrontation, provocation.

Glor asked Netanyahu whether Israeli forces went too far.
    "I don't know of any army that would do anything differently if you had to protect your border against people who say, 'We're going to destroy you, and we're going to flood into your country,'" Netanyahu told Glor. "You try other means. You try all sorts of means. You try non-lethal means, and they don't work, so you're left with bad choices.
    "It's a bad deal, and then you try and you go for below the knee, and sometimes it doesn't work, and unfortunately these things are avoidable. If Hamas had not pushed them there, then nothing would happen. Hamas holds responsibility for doing this, and they're deliberately doing it."
    Nearly 60 Palestinians were killed during Monday's mass protest, which came on the same day the U.S. officially moved its embassy to Jerusalem. Netanyahu put the blame for the death toll on Hamas, which controls Gaza.
    "They're pushing civilians, women, children into the line of fire with the view of getting casualties," Netanyahu told Glor. "We try to minimize casualties. They're trying to incur casualties in order to put pressure on Israel, which is horrible."

Hamas has been preparing for months for a storming of the fence, knowing it would end in dozens of deaths – a result voices in Israel warned would come should Gaza's economic crisis not be eased. They were armed with firebombs and some kind of catapults.

Frank Sanoica and Don Alaska like this.
  4. Kitty Carmel

Kitty Carmel Veteran Member
    Registered

I heard on the radio that the "protestors" were encouraged by others with blow horns to get closer to the fences and encouraged to protest. And this had been planned. I don't see them as true protestors but people almost forced and conditioned to continue this behavior.

5. Don Alaska

Don Alaska Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

As I said, destined to be a lost people.

Kitty Carmel likes this.
  6. Tom Galty

Tom Galty Veteran Member
    Registered

But the death toll is an over reaction, a massive over reaction

7. Don Alaska

Task Force Registered

I think Hamas released a statement today that the dead were all members of their group. Apparently they were encouraging folks to get aggressive for the political value of showing Israeli reaction to their followers and the Western media.

8. Bill Boggs

Bill Boggs Supreme Member
    Registered

No doubt about it, Jerusalem should be the capital of Israel. About time we acted. Who can argue with that? Some say the Muslums claim Jerusalem as their capital. That's tough. It belongs to Israel. Trump made the right decision, keeping one more promise. And look at all that prophesy. It's finally happened. As far as all those protesters? Well what about them.They knew darn good and well what would happen if they harassed too much. Somebody finally got enough and opened fire. The protestors knew what would happen or they should have. They've done this before.They don't want pease. They've been offered peace so many times since the 1970s. They don't have a home, its their own fault. So, make it plain as plain as be. Jerusalem belongs to Israel. No ands, ifs, or buts. Bug out, you're trespassing.

Don Alaska likes this.
  9. Frank Sanoica

Frank Sanoica Supreme Member
    Registered

@Shirley Martin
    Your post so carefully illustrated provides insight into two very important things: the incessant radical intrusion into Israel's quiet sovereignty, and the tolerant, well-thought out responses of Mr. Netanyahu. I believe him to be one of the most effective leaders of the last part of the 1900s, as well as these decades of the 2000s.

Why can't we here find and elect a similarly-endowed individual to lead our country? Because, I guess, the extremely powerful groups (powerful = $$$) hold fast to media control, popular mind control subtly, and control of special interest groups, which continue to glean important status through imposing their agenda commitments, however slyly or deviously.
    Frank

Don Alaska likes this.
  10. Don Alaska

Task Force Registered

I saw that Israeli troops have entered the mosque on the Dome of the Rock to oust illegal protestors that were allegedly armed and plotting rebellion. Ramadan, Passover, and Ester all coincide this year, which makes for an incendiary atmosphere. Gaza responded with missiles, and Saudi Arabia denounced the incursion. Israel responded with air strikes into Gaza. What next?

Bobby Cole likes this.