Is Google Honest?

Discussion in 'Gadgets & Tech Talk' started by Martin Alonzo, Jul 13, 2017.

1. Joe Riley

Joe Riley Supreme Member
    Registered

I have deleted our google accounts and uninstalled google chrome from our laptops. Switched to Bing exclusively, and have had much better search results. Here's an article from 2017, on How to switch from google to Bing. We're just "Binging it"!;)
    [​IMG]

Bess Barber and Shirley Martin like this.
  2. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

Good grief. I find this appalling. https://www.yahoo.com/finance/news/google-apos-decision-china-not-174631294.html

Google's decision to work with China, not US, 'unprecedented': Peter Thiel

PayPal co-founder Peter Thiel said on Sunday that his calls for the U.S. government to investigate Google are in an effort to see if there is any “foreign infiltration” at the tech giant.

Thiel, a conservative who is an outlier among his peers in Silicon Valley, originally called for the federal investigation in mid-July at the National Conservatism Conference in Washington, D.C., accusing Google of working with China but not the U.S. government.

The billionaire, who also sits on the board at Facebook, said Sunday that regardless of whether an American firm works with a civilian company in China, all technology is passed along to the communist nation’s military.

“It’s not like the U.S., where you have different companies and different people and you have a government sector and a private sector and these things don’t always coordinate or work together,” Thiel told “Sunday Morning Futures.” “In China, these things are still tightly coordinated across the board.”

In particular, Thiel said he is most concerned about Google’s sharing of its artificial intelligence called “DeepMind,” what he deems the tech firm’s “crown jewel.” DeepMind was founded in 2010 and purchased by Google four years later. The search giant opened its AI research lab in China, the same year that the nation amended its constitution to include a mandate that requires all research done inside the country to be shared with its armed forces (the People’s Liberation Army).

“I think it is unprecedented in the last 100 years, or ever, that a major U.S. company refused to work with U.S. military and has worked with our geopolitical rival,” he said. “So this is not a liberal-conservative thing … this is absolutely unprecedented.”

3. Bess Barber

Bess Barber Veteran Member
    Task Force Registered

This oddly makes me nervous. I'm so familiar with google. Looks like a very easy switch on my laptop. Do you still prefer Bing?

4. Beth Gallagher

Registered

Bess--just go to Bing.com and try a few searches. If you like Bing, or Duckduckgo, etc. you can change your default search engine in your browser options.

5. Beth Gallagher

Registered

It appears that Google (or "someone") has scrubbed pictures of Jeffery Epstein and Bill Clinton. :rolleyes: I did a test search and practically the entire first page of results was Trump/Epstein or some paste-up of Clinton...not the actual photos of them together.

This manipulation of reality is beginning to be worrisome, people.

“Every record has been destroyed or falsified, every book rewritten, every picture has been repainted, every statue and street building has been renamed, every date has been altered. And the process is continuing day by day and minute by minute. History has stopped. Nothing exists except an endless present in which the Party is always right.” ― George Orwell, 1984

6. Joe Riley

Joe Riley Supreme Member
    Registered

@Bess Barber I agree with @Beth Gallagher ...start searching with Bing and you will notice the difference. We are still Binging it!

7. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

-- SaraCarter.com

Bess Barber and Bobby Cole like this.
  8. Beth Gallagher

Registered

I hope everyone is aware that Google also owns Youtube, and they manipulate content and searches there, too. Many conservative videos don't come up in a search and if Google disagrees with the content, they hide them completely or "demonetize" the contributor.

Bess Barber and Hedi Mitchell like this.
  9. Hedi Mitchell

Hedi Mitchell Supreme Member
    Registered

F!;&_). No they are not honest ! You would not believe the crap I am finding out about Google and all these other apps.
    First...I have written about this before, so short version...IT listens to everything and record s conversations. You do not have to have location on or anything else, for IT to know where you are.
    Other apps you have downloaded are also partnership with IT. IT and other apps turn on other things on your phone without consent your knowledge.
    Today I was trying to find out info about something on my phone..in turn I stumbled upon...via Gmail setting..chats..over a hundred of them . Five people using what appears to be actual names discussing their sexual hook up within their circle.All on my email account.
    I never use any of that mess. On IT all us private or not checked on purpose. Yet these conversations are being stored on my computer.That is just a sample of what I am finding. Some thing called Dailey Report keeps showing also. Have to trace that back...something about Google Sheets..don't use that either.
    Anyway..no. IT is not honest and neither or its freinds !

10. Micki Pembroke

Micki Pembroke Veteran Member
    Registered

I now use Norton Safe Search. I really don't have any issues with Google Search, i maybe don't understand very well, this conversation about Google, have used Norton for a couple of years, am happy with it.....does what i just posted make sense....:confused::confused::confused::confused::confused:....wonder about me sometimes.

11. Micki Pembroke

Registered

@Gloria Mitchell That lack of privacy is so disturbing, plus the stuff you're getting without request.

Frank Sanoica and Hedi Mitchell like this.
  12. Hedi Mitchell

Hedi Mitchell Supreme Member
    Registered

Your post is fine. But this issue is more than just a search...to which I use Bing.

13. Micki Pembroke

Registered

What is Bing. o_O.

14. Bess Barber

Bess Barber Veteran Member
    Task Force Registered

It's an alternate search engine people can use besides Google. Your computer should give you the option of which one you want to use somewhere in your setting. I use a Google Chromebook and still have the option available. I doubt I'll change. I don't care if it listens or tracks me. I'm not that exciting.

Frank Sanoica likes this.
  15. Martin Alonzo

Martin Alonzo Supreme Member
    Registered

Google just to show how bias they are with miss information
    Try search white family in pictures and then do black families see the bias [​IMG]

Frank Sanoica likes this.