Is Diagramming Sentences Still Use When Teaching Grammar?

Discussion in 'Education & Learning' started by Boris Boddenov, Feb 13, 2021.

1. Nancy Hart

Nancy Hart Veteran Member
    Registered

Public school. The main reason I took it was our 8th grade counselor told me I could never pass Latin (or algebra). That, both scared and annoyed me. We never discussed what the root words in Latin meant in terms of the English language, or else I missed that day.

Read the link below, all of which you no doubt already knew, and save yourself 2 years of torture. What they don't tell you is beyond this table, Latin roots have multiple meanings, so they are cherry-picking the obvious ones, imo.

Latin Roots, Prefixes, and Suffixes

John Brunner likes this.
  2. Boris Boddenov

Boris Boddenov Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

I went to Catholic schools grades 1-8 elementary school, and 9-12 high school.

Diagramming was stressed grades 5-6, and not at all in high school.

Like you I had two years Latin (grades 9-10). 1st year was a breeze but 2nd year gave me fits with three concepts: indirect discourse, ablative absolute, and subjunctive mood.

In the junior year, I switched to French where the hardest concepts were verbs and all the damn idioms.

Nancy Hart likes this.
  3. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

Thanks for that link. Obvious yet interesting, huh? Regarding roots having multiple meanings...I guess that doesn't make Latin any more precise than English, does it?

Last edited: Feb 14, 2021