Is Anyone Familiar With Proline Or Hydroxyproline?

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by Don Alaska, Jan 10, 2019.

1. Don Alaska

Don Alaska Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

I listened to a lecture recently on Proline and Hydroxyproline. There was a claim that a large concentration of Proline has been found in olives. The speaker didn't say what type of olive or if it made a difference. The claim was made that large intake of Proline was important for menopausal women particularly, as it mimics the effects of estrogen and prevents skin drooping, sagging, and wrinkling. Hydroyproline is actually the functional agent and is formed through the a mechanism (which I won't cover) that uses vitamin C and Proline. Hydroxyproline Deficiency is actually what causes the symptoms of scurvy. Hydroxyproline cannot be formed (vital for collagen formation) without vitamin C.

@Bobby Cole and @Yvonne Smith may already know about this. I found it fascinating.

https://www.livestrong.com/article/456822-proline-amino-acid-benefits/

Sorry I made a spelling error in the thread title and couldn't edit it:(

Joe Riley and Bobby Cole like this.
  2. Hal Pollner

Hal Pollner Veteran Member
    Registered

i'm 82 and I never heard of 'em.

Hal

3. Emma Smith

Emma Smith Veteran Member
    Registered

I heard about this recently, probably on Pinterest. I often try things from Pinterest. My latest is having black olives and citrus. (I read somewhere that the green olives have the same nutritional value). I hope I'm looking younger soon. ;)

The thing I've tried that really works great for me - brushing my teeth with baking soda and coconut oil. I already used a whitening (and sensitive) toothpaste, but am really happy with the bkg soda/coconut oil for more whitening.

Don Alaska likes this.