Is Anyone Else Planting Yet?

Discussion in 'Crops & Gardens' started by Don Alaska, Mar 28, 2019.

1. Pam Sellers

Pam Sellers Veteran Member
    Registered

Well, I made four hanging flower baskets yesterday! Does that count? We have too much shade around our property to grow any veggies. So, Don, we have to rely on big growers like you to buy at the local farmer's market.

Nancy Hart and Don Alaska like this.
  2. Don Alaska

Don Alaska Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

Of course it counts, @Pam Sellers! Any garden, no matter how small, is a plus in my book. Not everyone can plant acres. Some may only have square feet to cultivate, but it all counts!

Nancy Hart likes this.
  3. Don Alaska

Task Force Registered

One garden planted besides the greenhouses: 35 cabbage, 28 broccoli, and 27 cauliflower plus beets (beetroot), carrots, radishes, onions, and miscellaneous greens. We also erected two new high tunnels for cucumbers and pole beans...and other stuff. On to garden number two tomorrow....:)

4. Don Alaska

Task Force Registered

Today my wife posted on Facebook that she had planted all her "celeriac" but auto-correct changed it to "cleric" and she didn't catch it. It generated many humorous comments...:).
    I guess we have a sacred garden now, planted with a number of clerics

Emma Smith and Yvonne Smith like this.
  5. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

We are working on our little “here and there “ gardens, too. Since the clay here is either gooey mud, or almost solid brick, it is hard to dig in it, and hard to grow anything, and planting in pots is what works for us.
    We have some tomatoes growing in the containers by the archway over the front sidewalk, and I have some zucchini squash planted in one tire, and tomatoes and cucumber in another one.
    Bobby is bringing out two more tires for me that we used out back before he got his puppy (who demolishes everything), and I am going to plant more squash and some flowers this morning.
    The Malabar spinach is coming back and growing again, and the kale is still growing , so we have some greens.
    The fig trees have tiny figs, the blueberries have berries trying to get ripe, and the peach tree has little peaches. For some reason, it gets peaches every year, but they never mature, and are just little green ones until they fall off of the tree eventually.

Don Alaska likes this.
  6. Frank Sanoica

Frank Sanoica Supreme Member
    Registered

We are picking tomatoes, soon figs, also.

Don Alaska likes this.
  7. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff

I finally got some beans in. They grew well last year but we didn't have enough of them to do much with so I think that's pretty much all we're going to plant this year unless my wife has something else in mind.

I planted some rhubarb a few years ago near my lingonberry patch but, although they come up every year, they wilt the first time we have a warm day, long before they get large enough to use. I might try putting some bamboo along the fence, which should cut the direct sun that they get. On the other hand, I planted a couple of rhubarb plants along another side of the house and they are doing great.

Don Alaska and Yvonne Smith like this.
  8. Don Alaska

Task Force Registered

Try manuring the rhubarb that is not doing well. It seems to require nitrogen when it is not in a prime location.

Yvonne Smith and Tom Galty like this.
  9. Tom Galty

Tom Galty Veteran Member
    Registered

10. Ken Anderson

In the spring, it grows rapidly and well, but it can't handle the hot days of summer. The first hot day we have, if I am not there to cool it down with water, it wilts. Once the weather cools, it starts growing again, but the next hot day bumps it back. And so on, throughout the winter. So I don't think it's the soil, unless the nitrogen will help it bear up under the sun. Also, it comes up every spring, so it's surviving the winter.

11. Tom Galty

Tom Galty Veteran Member
    Registered

Don't know how hot your summers get but with a lot of plants its not the heat but the strong sun and theses plants should be grown in the shade.

Think its down to not enough Horse sh+t

12. Ken Anderson

Every year or two, we get one or two days of above 100 weather, but usually no hotter than the 80s. They are growing along a chain-link fence that had privacy stripping on it when I planted them but some devil children who moved in next door for a year or two peeled all the weather stripping away. Otherwise, it's between the north side of my house and the fence, with the driveway in between. My lingonberries do great there. Different soil though. The rhubarb on the east side of the house are doing good, and are already large enough to harvest, and I just planted them the spring before last.

13. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff

My zucchini has been growing with the combination of sunshine and rain that we have been getting lately.
    5E6E8A1A-39A0-4885-82E9-DFD45DA3390C.jpeg

14. Don Alaska

Task Force Registered

Looks good @Yvonne Smith. Have you harvested squash yet? We should be picking our first in about a week, but I grow some parthenocarpic zucchini as well as regular. We are picking pickling cucumbers from the greenhouse, and we have a few green peppers that we could use, but no tomatoes, beans, or slicing cucumbers yet. I love to see people garden.

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  15. Don Alaska

Task Force Registered

I was thinking of using my big pump to irrigate the place from the lake behind the house. I wanted to reduce the 2-inch diameter hose to multiple garden hose bibs. Here is the formula:

Equation(s)
    [​IMG]
    p1 : Primary Pressure (psia)
    p2 : Secondary Pressure (psia)
    do : Diameter of Orifice (in)
    C : Discharge Coefficient
    Qw : Water Flow Rate (gal/h)
    FL : Pressure recovery factor (=0.9)
    FF : Critical pressure ratio factor
    P : Absolute vapor pressure of the water at inlet temperature (psia)
    SG : Specific Gravity

AAAAgh! Maybe I will just guess and hope nothing explodes....

Emma Smith likes this.