Iphone 6. Imac Etc.

Discussion in 'Gadgets & Tech Talk' started by Gary McNeill, Nov 7, 2016.

1. Gary McNeill

Gary McNeill Veteran Member
    Registered

Since I changed from PC technology I love Apple much better. IMO.

2. Chrissy Cross

Chrissy Cross Supreme Member
    Registered

I haven't turned on my computer in years. How do you like the iOS 10 update in your iPad. I have some glitches.

Actually there's another update but a minor one that I haven't done. I also need a new iPad.

3. Gary McNeill

Gary McNeill Veteran Member
    Registered

No problems yet

4. Chrissy Cross

Chrissy Cross Supreme Member
    Registered

I'm having some problems with uploading photos. If I crop a picture an dtry to upload it here..it says the photo doesn't exist, but it does.

Not worried about it because it could be my iPad is getting too old.

Gary McNeill likes this.
  5. Debbie Seattle

Debbie Seattle Veteran Member
    Registered

Everything I have is Apple and love them all. Life is so much more simple and synced now too. We have an Apple Store about 2 miles from us. In the 'old days', the store was filled with youngsters, nowadays, it's we oldsters taking the classes offered and asking questions.

Gary McNeill and Yvonne Smith like this.
  6. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

I've had my iMac since 2010 or 2011, and I will probably be replacing it soon. I have a MacBook Pro that's only a few years old, but I generally only use it while traveling or as my upstairs computer, which I'll use if I want to get online before going to bed, or if I wake up during the night, and don't necessarily want to go downstairs to my office to use the iMac.

I prefer the iMac, with its large screen, to the MacBook but, although it is still the computer I use most often, it has reached the age of obsolescence and cannot be upgraded to the newest version of macOS. I will be retiring it soon. I have considered just getting a large monitor for the MacBook but since the MacBook is a laptop, with the keyboard and trackpad built into the screen, which is only 13 inches, that could be distracting, unless I used the larger monitor as a second screen only. Yes, I know that it can be done. In fact, there is an accessory that I could buy that would allow me to use the MacBook simply as the computer and power supply, without even opening it up, and using a standalone keyboard, trackpad, and monitor. But there's a cost to all of that too, so I am thinking I might get another iMac.

For the first time in the decade that I have had the iMac, I decided to run the secure erase feature, which fills up all of the space on the computer hard drive repeatedly and then erases it. I think that's the sort of thing that you might do only if you're concerned that the FBI is going to be going through your hard drive, but I thought I'd see what it did.

Well, it has been running non-stop since yesterday morning, for more than thirty hours now. Everything still works, only it's slow, and boxes keep popping up to warn me that I am running out of space on my computer, and sometimes it won't allow me to save anything for a while. From this point on, I think I'll take my chances with the FBI. I'm not going to do this again.

Al Amoling and Yvonne Smith like this.
  7. Ken Anderson

It took from 45-46 hours for the secure erase to complete.

8. Ken Anderson

My iMac died. I shut it down normally before going to bed last night, but it wouldn't start up this morning. Apple tech support spent about an hour having us try different things (my wife was talking to them because I hate that sort of thing) but to no avail. That's another thing I like about Apple. You can get tech support even for an eleven-year-old computer - by phone, anyhow; I am not impressed with the Apple Store.

I will be buying another computer soon, but I'll buy it directly from Apple online, as I am told that if you buy one from the Apple Store, you won't necessarily get the latest model. They push them out like they stock the milk in the grocery store, with the most recent dates in the back.

I'd like to have another iMac but Apple came out with its M1 chip, which is supposed to be much faster than the Intel chips, but it's only available in the MacBook Air, the MacBook Pro 13" and the Mac Mini, not the iMac or the larger MacBook Pro. Since I have a MacBook Pro 13" that is only five years old, I think I'll try the Mac Mini. My wife has one and she likes it.

The Mac Mini starts at under $700, but I'll probably get the slightly more expensive one since they are not upgradable after-market. It comes with the computer only. The monitor, keyboard, and mouse (or trackpad) have to be purchased separately, but they don't have to be Apple products.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2021
    Yvonne Smith likes this.