Introduction To Introductions

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by Admin, Dec 30, 2015.

1. Admin

Admin Forum Administrator
    Staff Member Greeter Registered

Since many people have requested an introductions area, I have decided to create one. An introductory post in this area is not mandatory, though; you may continue to introduce yourself in the Personal Diaries area or within your first post, wherever that might be.

Holly Saunders and Yvonne Smith like this.
  2. Shirley Martin

Shirley Martin Supreme Member
    Registered

I've been here for a while but I will tell a little bit about myself. I am a widow. My husband was in bad health for many years before he died . I looked after him until his death on 9/11/13. I retired last December 31. I had three children, two boys and a girl. My daughter died in a car wreck over eleven years ago. I have a granddaughter and a grandson. My granddaughter has one daughter. My grandson has one son. I don't choose to tell my age but you can tell from this that I'm not a spring chicken. :D However, I am in good health and am young in heart. The only pain I have is in my left knee where I tore a tendon some years ago. That comes and goes. The only medicine I take is for hypertension. I consider myself to be very lucky. And Blessed.

I grew up on a farm, never lived in a real city and never lived more than twenty five miles from where I live now. I'm just a simple country girl. :);)

3. Chrissy Cross

Chrissy Cross Supreme Member
    Registered

Welcome to the forum Shirley! :) I've been here awhile also but didnt start posting til about 2 months ago.

4. Holly Saunders

Holly Saunders Supreme Member
    Registered

Well...I've been lucky enough to know lovely Shirley and several more of you for a couple of years now from elsewhere... and as you all know I only joined this forum a month or 2 ago, and really enjoying it, and hope that it becomes bigger and better with more discussions, but thus far I've found every single person on here to be super friendly...what a breath of fresh air compared to just about every other forum I've ever been on.:D

My name for the purpose of this forum is Holly, ...I live in a rural area, on the edge of a tiny market town about 20 miles North of London.

I'm married to my toy boy ( 5 years younger ) LOL...who is still in full time work.

I have one daughter, who lives on the continent and I miss her dreadfully.

Official retirement is still about 6 or 7 years away for me, although I have retired once already some years ago but decided to return to work after terminal boredom set in after a few years of lunches and shopping... .. and although I enjoy my job, it's very long hours and very hard work..so I may retire again before my official time...I'd like to hope that I can carry on tho'.. :D

I have always been in rude health but now I have a few niggles which cause me to be seeing Doctors more often than I would like...but hopefully they won't hold me back from living life as I always have...and that's with full energy and gusto where possible.

5. Bonnie Thomas

Bonnie Thomas Veteran Member
    Registered

A nice board.... I'm new here and will introduce myself. I'm a widow of almost 3 yrs. ... lost my husband to illness right before our 50th wedding anniversary in 2013. Have two daughters and one son, all married with kids of their own. .. grandkids are scattered around the US, with the two youngest living up the street from me. Between them and my two dogs and cat, they all save my sanity.
    I'm a country girl (born and raised) living near the bright lights of the city. I've been retired for 10 yrs. now, and am taking life as easy as possible. I enjoy good health, and work out routines.
    I also enjoy the light and fun side of life these days..... sports/music/reading & the great outdoors..

6. Terry Page

Terry Page Supreme Member
    Registered

Welcome Bonny look forward to hearing more about you and your life. Its a friendly and fun place to be with lots of helpful and supportive members.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 1, 2016
  7. Bonnie Thomas

Bonnie Thomas Veteran Member
    Registered

Thanks for the welcome Terry!

8. Ken N Louis

Ken N Louis Veteran Member
    Registered

th (2).jpg

9. Will Lawrence

Will Lawrence Veteran Member
    Registered

Nice bio! I must admit the screen name you've chosen... Holly Saunders... had piqued my interest. A young lady that spent quite a bit of time on The Golf Channel... and purportedly quite a bit of time with "silicone addition" is Holly Sonders. Google her and you might see why us nasty old men drool just a little when we see similar names!!:D:D
    Have really enjoyed reading some of your threads. The above thread, with the use of "rude health" and "a few niggles", is one of those. Such terms are not common in our typical day to day lingo here in the U.S.

Holly Saunders likes this.
  10. Will Lawrence

Registered

Some of us have similar "adventurous" lives. We live about 40 miles from where I was born and raised and have never, in our almost 50 years of marriage, lived more than 100 miles from "home". Grew up on a farm. Unlike you, Shirley, could not get off the farm quick enough. We've always lived in smaller communities, except for about 10 years in the Kansas City area. Just want nothing to do with farm life... taking care of large acreage and animals would significantly reduce my time playing golf!!:)

11. Will Lawrence

Registered

Think I gave a little history when I came aboard. Can't remember... the mind does that at my age!!!

Born and raised on a farm in Central Kansas. Graduated high school with the idea of becoming a pastor. Went to two years of seminary and decided that life wasn't cut out for me. Married the most beautiful lady in the world. Ended up building water and wastewater treatment plants, pumping stations, etc. Twenty years in the construction end, 10 years in design and marketing of water/wastewater treatment equipment, and the past 15 on the engineering side. IOW, I've spent over 40+ years "watching other people's poop"!!!:D

My wife and I have two daughters and one son. Both daughters and their families live fairly close. The son is U.S. Army. He and his family are currently stationed about 9 hours from home so we can drive and see them occasionally. Eight AWESOME grandchildren!

I'm still working. Our firm allows me the liberty to pretty well come and go as I please. I will work 6 to 8 months out of the year and take the rest off. My wife works for a large optometry practice and is just now slowing down to about 35 hours/week.

Earlier in our married life we had just over 100 children in and out of our home as foster kids. We still have close contact with a number of them. In 1990, I walked one foster daughter down the aisle. She is still married and they have two wonderful kids. Last night at 12:01 my wife rec'd a 'Happy New Year' text from a boy we had in our home in the late 1960's... now retired... but still calls "Mom" at least once/month.

My wife and I both read... lots! I still read "real books" and spend a lot of time running back and forth to our library. My wife does quite a bit of her reading on an e-reader. And... I play LOTS of golf. Carded well over 150 rounds in 2015.

It has been a pleasant experience to be part of this discussion board. I just don't take the time to utilize all the various forums available on here. Someday... when I fully retire... perhaps I can spend more time getting to know all you really great people.

12. Holly Saunders

Registered

Well, thank you Kind sir....and it's nice to know that even though we're too Nations separated by a common language that we can still learn from each other.

No....I have never heard of Holly Sonders...but I just googled her, and she is probably the diametric opposite to me... I'm petite , Blonde, not cosmetically enhanced and I'm old enough to be her mother.. ( altho' I did have to look twice at her stated age, I thought she looked quite a bit older than 28) LOL

My last name is really..Saunders tho'... ..:D

13. Shirley Martin

Shirley Martin Supreme Member
    Registered

Hi, Bonnie! Welcome to a truly friendly board. :D

Will, I don't live on a farm. I live in the country, though. My husband and his brother ran a small country store until DH's health forced him to retire. I can't say I minded living on a farm. I have some wonderful memories of growing up on the land. One is walking in newly tilled soil in late spring. The sun would be hot but the dirt would be cool and soft.

Hi, Chrissy, Holly, Terry, and Ken!

I recognize some of you from another board but some of you, I don't. Will you tell who you were there? Or is it rude to ask?

14. Holly Saunders

Registered

Well you know me of course..shirleee.....:D:D like you my name stayed the same as it is next door..

I do know some of the people who changed their name on here from their previous ID's on other forums...but not all..

15. Terry Page

Terry Page Supreme Member
    Registered

I get confused Shirley, but Chrissy is pretty good at working out who is who, if in doubt I ask her. It's not rude as far as I am concerned, but others may not agree.

I am not entirely sure who I am at times anyway [​IMG]