Interesting Thing At Walmart Yesterday

Discussion in 'Not Sure Where it Goes' started by Tex Dennis, Sep 26, 2018.

1. Tex Dennis

Tex Dennis Veteran Member
    Registered

Leaving the store and returning my cart to the holding pen on the parking lot I noticed a lady 40-50's in age, white, not well dressed, lots of skin ink type. Ok she finished putting her purchases in the back of her Chevy Tahoe and was riding a handicapped scooter from the store, she left it right behind her vehicle got in and started backing out of her parking space, I tapped on her window to tell her, well I got a good cussing and told to get away from her car and her and an obscene gesture, so I backed up and back out of the way, she backed over the scooter with the high ground clearance totally on top of it dragging it ruined it, she jumped out and looked at me, I said I tried to tell you BUT you seemed to know more than I did, she was ranting livid screaming, I tried hard not to laugh and lost. It was still lodged under her vehicle when I left, pure trash type person.
    We call it here "The rode hard put up wet look"
    It could not have happened to a better person.

2. Don Alaska

Don Alaska Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

Thomas Stearn likes this.
  3. Chrissy Cross

Chrissy Cross Supreme Member
    Registered

Hahahaha!

4. Hedi Mitchell

Hedi Mitchell Supreme Member
    Registered

Hysterical....thanks for this.

5. Beatrice Taylor

Beatrice Taylor Veteran Member
    Registered

Great story!

Walmart is always an adventure!!!

“Truth is stranger than fiction, but it is because Fiction is obliged to stick to possibilities; Truth isn't.” - Mark Twain

Chrissy Cross and Don Alaska like this.
  6. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Supreme Member
    Registered

First, a short Walmart story that happened to me, with my wife right there, last week. There was a black dude in a Walmart electric cart at the register waiting to put some things up by the register. His arms and face had tattoos and he did appear like a gang member. I looked at him and said something jokingly about him tossing a box of Pampers onto the area of the register. He looked straight at me, completely serious, and said "Didn't your mother ever tell you not to talk to strangers?" Scared the crap out of me! A young lady standing behind him looked at me and said "Don't worry about him". After wife and I paid, we waited around, hopefully long enough, until he left the parking lot. We never seen him again. This dude really appeared to have been just released from a Federal Prison. Tough looking, really.

I also remember, at a local Home Depot, as we were walking to our Durango, a truck was backing up out of a space. I noticed that one of the brake lights were out, so I walked up to the drivers side window, the guy brought it down, and, before I could say a thing, he said "sorry, I don't have any spare change". I smiled and said "I only wanted to tell you that you have a brake light out". He smiled, and so did the girl sitting on the passengers side, and said "sorry and thanks".

Frank Sanoica likes this.
  7. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

It seems like “panhandling” has become a way of life for a lot of people, at least here where we live at. Almost every time that we walk down to the little corner store for Bobby to buy his cigarettes, someone will come up to him and ask for a cigarette. They do it like it is a normal and reasonable thing to do, and some are offended when Bobby refuses to give them one, and will argue like they are entitled to someone else’s property.
    Likewise, we have complete strangers who come up to the front door when Bobby is sitting outside on the front porch,and they ask him for cigarettes, or sometimes for money.
    Some ask us to take them somewhere, one that I remember wanted to go clear across town, and said they didn’t have bus money. There is another older woman that walks up and down the street carrying an old worthless, bent-up leaf rake, and asks if she can rake the yard for money. She knows that the rake is not going to be adequate for the job, but she always hopes people will give her a handout.
    She has been telling us the same “sob story” for a couple of years now. I can’t remember it exactly, but something about her husband just now passed away and she can’t pay her rent.

At the grocery store, often there will be someone walking around and stopping anyone getting into or out of their car, and asking for money. With all this, it is not surprising that the first thought a person might have when someone walks up to their car, is that you are just another panhandler , begging for money or tobacco.

8. Chrissy Cross

Registered

I seldom go to Walmart so I never see anything funny or strange. Have never been asked for a cigarette in California...in fact I don't even see people smoking...when I quit 11 years ago there were still a few of us to be seen but it's really rare now.

There is only one person asking for money around here and when I can I always give him a few dollars.

He sits in a wheelchair right outside a shopping plaza...almost in the street and it's very hard to just stop,your car there and give him money....you have to park first and walk over to him.

He's an older man...sign says "vet".

I just feel sorry for him sitting there all day every day (almost) in 100+ degrees.

Don't know if he's for real or just some scam....where they take some old person out in a wheelchair and pray on people's sympathy.

I give him the benefit of the doubt and will give him cash if I have some on me.

He deserves it just for sitting outside in Fresno's heat.

He's older than I am by far and he salutes every car that leaves that plaza wether you give him something or not....I just can't even imagine doing that most of the day in the heat.

Last edited: Sep 27, 2018
  9. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

Basically, we stay away from people requesting money. Thing is, some people who have been turned away, will get mad and, it's been documented, attacked the person that didn't give them money.

We see very little-to-no panhandlers around our area of Jacksonville. Gee, does JSO (Jacksonville Sheriff's Office) make them leave or something, don't know, but...….
    We did see that happen when we lived in Huntersville, NC. The Huntersville PD talked to a homeless man, standing by the freeway, and when we drove back by, the man was gone. Never seen him in the area again.

10. Don Alaska

Don Alaska Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

I heard a guy complaining of aggressive panhandlers that were assaulting cars and obstructing traffic and he wanted it stopped. It turns out he was complaining about the fire department and the "Fill The Boot" stuff. When I commuted at night, I was often accosted by hookers and drunks if I stopped for gas in any area where there were bars. I learned to fill up in the country, where it was spooky, but not as spooky as the populated areas.

11. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

Yes, seems like everyone wants money or more of it. But, it is highly recommended by law enforcement to only give to organizations, like local "Fill The Boot" or one of those kids organizations like Young Marines. We do give to the "Boot" and sometimes to the Young Marines, but if it's one person with a pail, even with a sign on it, nope.

We know the Young Marines organization because they help clean tables at local buffet for Veterans Day Dinner there. They are in a "working Marine" uniform. Great organization.

Both of us feel great after giving a few dollars to Fill The Boot and Young Marines.

12. Chrissy Cross

Registered

You'd think the police wouldn't allow the vet in the wheelchair to sit where he does...very dangerous...but they do.

So, maybe he is legit.

13. Chrissy Cross

Registered

He sits right where I put the red dot...you are coming out of a plaza onto a Main Street there... wry dangerous place for a wheelchair.

IMG_2662.JPG

14. Tex Dennis

Tex Dennis Veteran Member
    Registered

I saw this happen some time back myself, 2 males were coming out of our hardware store with some wire and lights, a derelict looking man approached them and asked for money, they TOLD HIM "Do you have change for a $50 he said sure!! They asked for $49 change. He had it.

15. Babs Hunt

Babs Hunt Supreme Member
    Registered

My neighbor went to Walmart a few days ago and was sitting in his truck watching some guys checking out all the cars in the parking lot. Evidently they noticed him watching them and when he came out of Walmart after making his purchases he found them letting the air out of one of his tires. They took off so fast he didn't think it would do any good to call the cops so he came home and then noticed the cap where you put the air in the tire was missing and the next morning he woke up to a completely flat tire. We have an air pump so we got enough air in his tire to get him to Firestone...and there they found his tire was punctured too. They have some bad people in this world...and in our city too.

Chrissy Cross likes this.