Insurance

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by Cody Fousnaugh, Feb 20, 2020.

1. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Supreme Member
    Registered

We don't have an Advantage Plan. We were told, by a retired employee of Medicare not to get the Advantage Plan. She told us that there wasn't much for "choices" in things.

We each pay $144.60 a month for Medicare B. Medicare A/Hospitalization is free. We have a $183 deductible per year with Medicare. We have to pay the $183 before Medicare pays anything. My Supplement (BC/BS Florida) costs $207 per month and doesn't pay anything until Medicare does. My Humana Walmart Rx Plan is $58 per month with some awful deductible for high-end meds. Fortunately, I get all of my regular meds thru the VA Medical. My wife's Supplement is $118 per month. Due to my cataract surgery in Oct 2018, I'm unable to change my Supplement until later this year.

So, for both of us together: $289.20 per month for Medicare B (plus the $366 yearly deductible). $265 monthly for our Supplement. Our Rx Plan is $107.40 total per month. And, $17 per month for each of us for the Dental, Dental Rx, Vision and Hearing Plan, of which we just paid $220 for the entire year.

2. Lon Tanner

Lon Tanner Supreme Member
    Registered

I am well insured and always have been

3. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

That depends on the plan. Mine is prohibitive, in that I have to use providers who are in the system if I want everything to be covered, but there aren't very many medical providers in Maine who aren't in the system. Outside of Maine and New Hampshire, my plan only covers emergency treatment, but I wouldn't be going outside of Maine for regular treatment anyhow. Best of all, I'm not paying much at all for it and it covers pretty much everything.

Hedi Mitchell likes this.
  4. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

Heck, I just read that there is a $1,364 deductible (year) for Medicare A. That gets paid before Medicare A starts paying anything for a hospital stay. Medicare A doesn't have a month premium, like Medicare B does.

5. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

Well, Lon, you're lucky! There are those Seniors that aren't and can't afford to be.

6. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

Heck, I remember when companies would pay fully for employee's health insurance. When that changed, around 1995 or so, I started using my VA Medical instead. But, when I got my job in Denver, CO, I took the company health insurance, because I was making much better money than before. In fact, at the time, when my wife's health insurance, at her job, took a jump in payments, she switched over to my jobs insurance. I had a hip replacement, w/a 3-day hospital stay, rehab for that, and a rotator cuff surgery/rehab, I used the Denver company health insurance for. My other rotator cuff surgery/rehab and laser cataract surgery for both eyes was taken care of by Medicare B and Supplemental. The Center that done the surgery gave me discount cards for the eyedrops needed after surgery.

Last edited: Feb 20, 2020
  7. Von Jones

Von Jones Supreme Member
    Registered

@Beth Gallagher, thank you. I was just reading and took a break :confused:.

After I got laid off I had to purchase my own health insurance that I've had almost six years now. The website mostly talked about insurance purchased through the Marketplace but it did say to drop other insurance because it would't be needed. That didn't sit well with me so I'm going to check my policy and make a call with questions. Bottom line is 'How much am I willing and ready to pay for the coverage I will need.'

Ken Anderson likes this.
  8. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

My wife was offered to continue both dental and vision insurance, for both of us, from her last company in Florida. She turned it down, due to the cost, which was much, much more than when she was working for the company. The company she got laid-off from ,before the this last job she had (at the time we left Florida), done the same.…….offered her the dental and vision we both had, but again, it was so, so expensive, she turned it down as well.

But, whether it's insurance or a plan, or a combo of both, like we now have, we all need health, vision, dental and Rx. This is why folks that made very good money and were able to put some away into a 401K, can afford all of these. This is why my wife got her Bachelor's Degree in Accounting and Business, so she could make a better salary than a regular accountant with no Degree...……...and she did.

9. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

You are quite welcome, Von. I wish I was more knowledgeable but I have zero experience with all of this. I know nothing about the advantage plans; since we have employer coverage from our retirement benefits we are simply keeping the Aetna supplement when we move to Medicare. You are smart to do all the research before you go on Medicare.

10. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

Trying to figure out heath, vision, dental and Rx is a real "pain in the butt"! There are so, so many Plans.

11. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

Thing is, we will get a statement from Medicare, after seeing a doctor or having a procedure done, that states, "you may still owe this amount", but we have never/ever got a bill for that amount.

12. Hedi Mitchell

Hedi Mitchell Supreme Member
    Registered

@Cody Fousnaugh
    ..my plan includes dental and vision
    However very. basic on that. For $18 a month can get a better dental and vision plan. Our meds are covered also and are filled at Wal-Mart on their $4 Plan.
    Not boasting Cody....but do think you should check out all your options.Hate to hear anyone pay so much.

Ken Anderson and Yvonne Smith like this.
  13. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

All of my regular meds come from the VA, unless I need meds due to a procedure done outside the VA on Medicare. We will be looking for an Rx Plan that is cheaper than Humana Walmart, but insurance companies just don't let customers quit them that fast.

14. Von Jones

Von Jones Supreme Member
    Registered

I worked with health insurance for 18 years and Medicare was the only insurance that baffled me and now with these different plans it baffles me more.

Beth Gallagher and Hedi Mitchell like this.