Insta Pot. It's A Pressure Cooker Type Thing, I Think

Discussion in 'Food & Drinks' started by Kitty Carmel, Sep 15, 2017.

1. Kitty Carmel

Kitty Carmel Well-Known Member
    Registered

I follow the channel on YouTube of a camper van couple and they cook a lot in an Insta Pot. She makes it look like a really nice device but they are also a pressure cooker type thing which I find scary. I think they would be good to use in summer as they would generate much less heat than a stove top. You can even buy cookbooks geared just to them.

Anyone use one?

2. Chrissy Cross

Chrissy Cross Veteran Member
    Registered

I don't but it sounds familiar...maybe @Lon Tanner mentined it on here or there. I know somebody did if it's the same thing you're talking about.

3. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

I have heard of them before, but was not exactly sure what they are, so I looked them up on youtube. Basically, it is a pressure cooker, but a much more modern one than the old fashioned ones we all remember with the little cap on top.
    I used to have something similar to this many years ago, and I really liked it. It was electric and had a gauge on it, and you just let it heat up until the little cap started hissing and rocking, and then you set the temp for that heat, and let it cook.
    It made food really fast, and it tasted good and meats were always tender.
    It was best for a one-pot meal, like you would make in a crockpot, although you could cook your meat, then turn it off, and when it cooled down enough, then you opened the lid and added potatoes or veggies and then cooked it a few minutes longer.

4. Kitty Carmel

Kitty Carmel Well-Known Member
    Registered

@Yvonne Smith Thank you for the video and information. I will look at the video and research others.

5. Sheldon Scott

Sheldon Scott Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

We've been using the electric pressure cooker for years. Best thing we ever bought for the kitchen, Ours is an AROMA brand. I' don't know about instant pot or any other brands but we use ours all the time. Ours can also be used as a slow cooker although we have never tried it that way.

6. Gloria Mitchell

Gloria Mitchell Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

We have a pressure cooker have never used it myself. Probably because once when young my mom was cooking pinto beans in one. I was in the other room when it blew up! I just knew my mom was dead....but she had being in another room also. The site of the kitchen mess from ceiling to floor...naw I don't want to mess with that.

7. Frank Sanoica

Frank Sanoica Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

A really neat pressure cooker was marketed (several, actually) years back, for use in the microwave oven. Made of super-strong plastic of some kind. We had one, but used it rarely, my wife being so adroit with the 'wave, she didn't need the extra speediness. Still, a pressure-cooker's ability to raise temperature higher than boiling point of water tenderizes meats very effectively.
    Frank

8. Ann George

Ann George Active Member
    Registered

The Insta Pot has a lot of good reviews on Amazon, etc. so definitely is worth considering IMO. They also come in different sizes which is helpful if you have limited space.

Kitty Carmel likes this.