In Remembrance Of My Astronomy Days

Discussion in 'Other Reminiscences' started by Hal Pollner, Jul 29, 2019.

1. Hal Pollner

Hal Pollner Veteran Member
    Registered

I haven't attended a Meeting or Star Party of my High Desert Astronomical Society in a few years, but I remember the many Constellations, which include Galaxies, Nebulas, Clusters, etc. as well as the Planets, which have their own courses through the heavens.

When I retire to my hammock outdoors for a night's sleep, I notice which objects are within my field of view:

Lately, there is always the Summer Triangle, the constellation of Cygnus, the great Ursa Major constellation, (the "Big Dipper"), pointing its way to the never-moving Polaris, (the North Pole Star), and opposite that the constellation Cassieopeia, the Lady in the Chair.

As I sleep, the Sky rotates around Polaris at 15 degrees per hour, and several hours later, I notice that all the objects I mentioned have shifted their positions, but steady Polaris remains at the center of rotation of the High Desert Sky!

That's all...
    Hal
    541.jpg

2. Holly Saunders

Holly Saunders Supreme Member
    Registered

I suspect you have very little light pollution where you live Hal...

My daughter lives in the mountains, no light pollution there, and the skies at night are just a wonder of Stars...sooo beautiful....

3. Bess Barber

Bess Barber Veteran Member
    Task Force Registered

I always thought that would be such a cool hobby. Too bad I'm too lazy to leave my house after dark. :cool:

Frank Sanoica likes this.