In Lieu Of Traditional Prayer

Discussion in 'Faith & Religion' started by Lon Tanner, Oct 24, 2016.

1. Babs Hunt

Babs Hunt Veteran Member
    Registered

I definitely have struggles with "why" God allows things to happen too. When that something happens to us personally or to someone we love, etc. God can seem a million miles away even to those who believe in Him. A few weeks ago my cousin and his wife who I had been in fervent prayer for that God would give them a child (they had lost 3 through miscarriage) finally got the answer to that prayer. A beautful and perfectly healthy baby girl was born to them...they named her Julia Faith. All of us were rejoicing and thanking God that He had answered our prayers for this couple that yearned for that baby. Then one day after Julia was born, my cousin was supposed to be at the hospital that morning but he hadn't showed up and texts and phone calls to him were not returned. So one of the relatives went to my cousin's home and found him in the master bedroom. He was dead. Everyone was in total shock. And when I found out what happened I ranted my anger at the God I know and love....the one I know answers prayers. Because I can't understand "Why?" He would allow things like this to happen either. And I never will understand.

Yet I still believe in the power of prayer and that God loves us and answers our prayers. And one day I hope I will know the answer to the "Whys?" and be able to accept those answers even though I admit in my grief at the tragic loss of my cousin there is no answer I can accept today.

Honey Gee likes this.
  2. Joe Riley

Joe Riley Veteran Member
    Registered

So sorry to hear of your family's shocking loss, Babs. Only God can bring comfort at this time.:(

g

Yvonne Smith and Babs Hunt like this.
  3. Babs Hunt

Babs Hunt Veteran Member
    Registered

He has @Joe Riley in bringing His peace even in this time when I don't understand the why of things. We did find out what happened to my cousin. He was prone to seizures which he took medication for. According to the autopsy he had one early that morning that took his life.

4. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

These things are hard to understand, and especially when we lose someone unexpectedly like happened with your cousin, @Babs Hunt . I think that this is when we do have the comfort of being a Christian and believing that there is a heaven; because at least we have the hope and the faith that we will see our loved ones and be with them again in heaven.
    People who have no belief and faith in God do not have any hopes of ever seeing someone they love again. Just this is a very powerful thing, even though we don't understand why we lose loved ones sometimes.
    My parents both lived into their 80's , but even so, losing them was hard, and the belief in God and that they were going to be in heaven and I would someday be with them was proabably the biggest comfort that I had to get through those days. Those of us who have been Christians all of our lives proabably take this for granted; but for someone who does not have this hope of heaven, losing loved ones would be far worse.
    Prayers for you and your family , Babs ! And a virtual hug for you as well.....

Babs Hunt likes this.
  5. Chrissy Cross

Chrissy Cross Veteran Member
    Registered

I think that people who don't believe in heaven don't have more of a fear of death than people who do. That's a false statement and is only believed by people who do.

My grief has always been because I miss the person here on earth and the thought that I will see them in heaven again does little to comfort my present grief. I have comfort knowing my husband is dead and out of pain, same with my mom.

I can understand you speaking for yourself and that's great that you have that comfort but don't speak about how others might feel.

Also sorry to hear about your cousin...my condolences.

Last edited: Nov 16, 2016
  6. Babs Hunt

Babs Hunt Veteran Member
    Registered

@Yvonne Smith Thank you for the prayers and the hug...both are much appreciated! :) I agree with you that knowing in my heart that I will see my loved ones again some day brings me great peace and comfort. Yet now when I feel such grief for my cousin's wife and his baby Julia, as well as the rest of his family....it just all seems like such a senseless tragedy. :(

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  7. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

I think that when something like this happens, and so unexpected, we are just so overcome by grief that this is all we are aware of, at least that is what happens with me, @Babs Hunt . It is hard to know why things like this happen, and we can't see any reason for it.
    When I was in the bad car accident, I was having a hard time understanding why that happened.
    The accident was so terrible that we should never have even lived through it, and yet, both my ex-husband and myself came out of that mangled car and walked away from the accident.
    I knew that it had to be God's hand that kept us both alive; but what I didn't understand was why He didn't just keep me another 5-10 minutes before I drove down the freeway that night, and I would have missed that drunk driver completely from him being on the freeway and hitting us at over 100 mph.
    It seemed like that would have been a lot simpler for God to do than let me go through the accident; but that was not what happened.

Later, my husband left, my world turned upside down, and I wished every night that I would never wake up again. What kept me going was remembering that God had kept me alive through the accident, and knowing that He wanted me alive and not dead.
    Sometimes, things make sense to us later, and sometimes, they never do, and we just have to trust that our lives are in the Lord's hands.
    I will keep you and your family in my prayers, and ask God to comfort all of you.
    I am just SO happy to see you back on the forum again ! !

Babs Hunt likes this.
  8. Honey Gee

Honey Gee Well-Known Member
    Registered

Is anyway wrong or right. I have has an amazing Buddhist and Hindu blessing. I definately felt a sense of spirituality on both blessings. Whatever suits you as an individual.

10202615323284820.jpg /

9. Chrissy Cross

Chrissy Cross Veteran Member
    Registered

I agree Honey, there is no right or wrong answer on this. It's about what you believe. Atheists are just as happy
    as believers. Or they can be just as miserable on both sides.

Pretty sure radical islamists believe in Allah and that there are virgins waiting for them in heaven....otherwise they wouldn't be so willing to die.

Their belief in Allah is just as strong as the people that believe in God, Buddha and any of the other gods people believe in.

http://www.breitbart.com/jerusalem/...-state-loyalist-oh-wish-carry-suicide-attack/

Even people that have no loved ones left on earth and are given a terminal diagnosis fight to live...they don't seem to be in a hurry to see their loved ones in heaven.

Also, what happens if you marry someone of a different faith and a different belief? Will you be going to different heavens?

What if your loved ones are agnostics? You won't see them either. Too many unknowns to worry about...that's why I don't.

Last edited: Nov 17, 2016
    Honey Gee likes this.