In-laws And You?

Discussion in 'Family & Relationships' started by Cody Fousnaugh, Jun 28, 2018.

1. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Supreme Member
    Registered

How did they, or do they, get along with you? I know there are those in-laws that don't get along with some family members.

My first wife, her parents, sister and brother pretty much just put up with me. I seriously doubt I was the guy that they thought their daughter/sister would want to be with, let alone marry. Part of my "upbringing" years were living on a farm, while hers was definitely upper-class city. There were plans being made for us to go back to Indiana, where I was raised, but that completely fell through...…...her parents talking her out of it. There were a number of obvious differences between her and I and her family could see that. I was the "hick" and she was the "very good looking" upper-class girl. My family never met her. After a courthouse wedding and a 1-yr. marriage, divorce. IOW, our getting-together was much more thru physical attraction, than anything else. She loved the EMS uniform I as wearing.

My second wife, 22 years later, my in-laws pretty much loved me from the first meeting. Neither of my parents were alive when we met and her father had died years before. Her mother without a doubt liked me, but didn't necessarily like that my wife had to change some to be around my rodeo friends. My wife didn't have a problem with the change...…..thank God. Wife's family knew the kind of man she wanted and my wife got pretty much exactly what she wanted with me...…...a rodeo cowboy that loved boating. Wife and I had so many things in common, it not only shocked us, it shocked her family as well. My wife's mother passed away a few years ago, but the rest of her family, I get along great with.

So, how about you and your in-laws?

2. Chrissy Cross

Chrissy Cross Supreme Member
    Registered

I got along great with my inlaws, they lived in Hungary.

I saw them once when I visited them when my daughter was 3 and then I saw my mother in law again when we had her visit us for a few months in Illinois...kids were older by then...my daughter was away at NIU already.

By the time we moved to Hungary for those 6 years from 1997-2003, both had died.

As a Mother in law I'm the best. I stay out of their business and get along well with both DIL and SIL.

3. Betty Jones

Betty Jones Veteran Member
    Registered

my son in law and daughter i live with--i cant stand him he is fat and lazy--i dont even talk to him unless i have to

Frank Sanoica likes this.
  4. Martin Alonzo

Martin Alonzo Supreme Member
    Registered

My in laws live 100 feet away and are great people even put my wife in line when she steps out.

Frank Sanoica and Don Alaska like this.
  5. Frank Sanoica

Frank Sanoica Supreme Member
    Registered

@Betty Jones
    Interesting! And how do they get along, well? If he is truly lazy, perhaps that is keeping him from being an appropriately attentive son in law to you; it's just too much effort for one who is lazy.

Now, what might his opinion of you be? Just wondering a bit, does being fat coincide with dislike?
    Frank

6. Hedi Mitchell

Hedi Mitchell Supreme Member
    Registered

My first in-laws, um I liked them, they liked me, they knew son was a snake.
    My second set- now deceased, but have known almost 30 years. I loved them, and appeared to love me. My mother in-law could be a bit manipulative -if you let
    her be. Once a house next door from them was for sale. Oh how nice it would be if you two could move next door. i responded with a simple- Um, no, i love you, but I do not love you that much! That is why they loved me - honesty.:D
    My parents - well forget the first husbby. The second one, my mother always adored. Not sure about my dad, but neither me or hubby really cared what he thought. It was an mutual agreement.
    So all in all...purdy good :p

7. Tim Burr

Tim Burr Veteran Member
    Registered

I got along great with both my MIL and FIL.

Helps that they both told my wife that I was a 'Keeper', when we first started dating.

Miss them both.

Frank Sanoica and Chrissy Cross like this.
  8. Chrissy Cross

Chrissy Cross Supreme Member
    Registered

Judging from all your posts on here @Tim Burr ...you are a keeper, they had you pegged correctly! :)

9. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Supreme Member
    Registered

Well, talking about the word "keeper"...……our (wife and I) first date was to country-western nightclub to meet up with her sister and husband and niece and husband. Wife's niece really knew how to country dance, especially the 2-step. Guess I done pretty good doing a 2-step with my wife, because, after the dance, I went to the restroom and the niece said to my wife "he's definitely a keeper". So, along with my horse and roping skills, I could add that my 2-step skills were observed and appreciated as well.

10. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

They're gone now, but I liked my in-laws. Of course, we lived a few thousand miles away.

Frank Sanoica likes this.
  11. Frank Sanoica

Frank Sanoica Supreme Member
    Registered

One is gone now, wife's dad, mother still living in Indiana, was 92 last January. Her dad and I got along swell. They travelled out a number of times while I was building our home, her dad insisting on helping me. He of course would not accept any payment beyond a few bottles of beer! Both had been pretty wary of me early-on, especially since I had earned a not-deserved "reputation" while commuting weekly between home in Chicago, and work in Churubusco, IN. When I met my wife-to-be, working in the Dana plant, she was still married; I had been divorced. So of their three daughters, the first-born had been divorced for quite awhile by the time their second-born did the same! I started out on "shaky-ground".

Last year, the first-born daughter got divorced after 35 years! My wife's dad keeled over in a motel at age 71, while enroute to the grandson's wedding, in 1996.
    Frank