Impressions Of Sri Lanka

Discussion in 'Travel & Vacation' started by Terry Page, Jan 20, 2016.

1. Terry Page

Terry Page Supreme Member
    Registered

Our first day on arrival in Sri Lanka was a bit mixed as we were jet lagged tired and the heat was intense, but we managed to visit a few places off the tourist route. The first were the fishing beaches where various fish are caught in drag nets laid out in the sun to dry. Dried fish is a big industry here.

A few pics

One of the tourist beaches
    s9.jpg

The fishing and drying beaches
    s3.jpg s6.jpg s5.jpg s4.jpg s7.jpg s8.jpg
    Carrying the fish from other beaches to the drying areas
    s1.jpg
    A young girl spontaneously posed for us on the way back to the hotel
    s2.jpg

Last edited: Jan 20, 2016
  2. Holly Saunders

Holly Saunders Supreme Member
    Registered

Fabulous pictures, not something we ever expect to see on our beaches Terry, it's all very industrial ...can you imagine the hip young thangs with their Baywatch style swimmies and fake tans on those beaches.? :eek::D LOL...

I know it was your first day but any idea where all that fish goes to ..is there a local market where it's all sold?

Ruby Begonia and Terry Page like this.
  3. Terry Page

Registered

Thanks Holly, yes there are two fish markets the largest in Sri Lanka, they trade from 6 to 8 am so a tad early for us to visit :rolleyes:

The Indian ocean can be pretty rough here, but Lisa managed some swimming on one of the tourist beaches which stretch for miles. Lot's of scuba diving places.

4. Lara Moss

Lara Moss Supreme Member
    Registered

I've seen some pics of Sri Lankans fishing in the surf while standing on tall poles so I figured the surf must get pretty rough at times. what a sweet little girl posing for you. I love the palms and terra-cotta and turquoise colors

5. Tom Locke

Tom Locke Veteran Member
    Registered

Watch out for the steps at Dambulla if you're heading there...masses of them, all at right angles to each other, so you end up thinking it will never end. No shoes allowed, either, so sizzled feet. My feet still protest even thinking about it.

Ruby Begonia likes this.
  6. Corie Henson

Corie Henson Veteran Member
    Registered

I didn't know that Sri Lanka is a coastline country with fishing as an industry. This is the first time I've seen of a fish processing zone for dried fish. Someone told me that drying fish should be inside a screened structure similar to a green house so as to prevent the flies from infesting the fish for drying. By the way, Sri Lanka is noted for the tea plantation particularly the original ceylon tea of the olden times. Maybe they still have those plantation.

Ruby Begonia and Ina I. Wonder like this.
  7. Terry Page

Registered

The second place we visited in Negombo was the local prison.

A few pics:

This is an inlet to the lagoon by the prison entrance, a lot of fishing boats and fishermen gather here.

p6.jpg

The tunnel entrance to the prison
    p3.jpg

The prison is on the site of what was originally a Portuguese followed a Dutch fortresses.

In February 1796 it was occupied by the British without opposition. In the late 1800s the British authorities decided to demolish the fort and build a prison in its place, constructed from the stones of the fort.Today all that remains is a section of the eastern rampart with mounds at its northern and Southern ends, where the previous bastions existed, and an recessed arched gateway. Above the gateway is a slab of granite, with the date 1678 inscribed, surmounted by a high decorative gable. The site is still used as a prison by the Department of Prisons

p1.jpg

A visitor at the gate

p2.jpg

Visitors mainly women waiting to visit

p4.jpg

The only remaining original part of the fort
    p5.jpg

St Steven's Church nearby p9.jpg

p7.jpg

p8.jpg

8. Terry Page

Registered

Yes we visited the Dambulla Cave Temple when we arrived, as you say several hundred steps to climb up but ok with shoes on, the final cave section in bare feet was hot underfoot. :eek: Well worth the climb though :)

9. Terry Page

Registered

Some pics from the Dambulla Cave Temple

The Dambulla cave monastery is still functional and remains the best-preserved ancient edifice in Sri Lanka. This complex dates from the third and second centuries BC, when it was already established as one of the largest and most important monasteries. Valagamba of Anuradhapura is traditionally thought to have converted the caves into a temple in the first century BC. Exiled from Anuradhapura, he sought refuge here from South Indian usurpers for 15 years. After reclaiming his capital, the King built a temple in thankful worship. Many other kings added to it later and by the 11th century, the caves had become a major religious centre and still are. Nissanka Malla of Polonnaruwa gilded the caves and added about 70 Buddha statues in 1190. During the 18th century, the caves were restored and painted by the Kingdom of Kandy.

The giant Buddha statue at the bottom of the climb, presently being re-gilded
    bud1.jpg

Monkeys everywhere on the climb up

bud3.jpg

The top where you have to go barefoot

bud2.jpg

Inside the caves

bud4.jpg bud8.jpg bud5.jpg
    The view from the top
    bud9.jpg

10. Tom Locke

Tom Locke Veteran Member
    Registered

Don't know about you, Terry, but while I loved Sri Lanka, I did find that I was suffering from elephant and Buddha overload after a while...

Joe Riley and Terry Page like this.
  11. Terry Page

Registered

I haven't been here long enough yet Tom, but I know what you mean, we were templed out in Cambodia and Vietnam and suffered from Hindi overload in India and of course are always rained out in the UK :rolleyes:
    To be honest these days we never stay in hotels except for the airport nights, so tend to chill out and enjoy the family we are staying with. This one just a few hundred yards from the Cave Temple is one of the best we have stayed with. There are four generations and they cook some amazing food and an uncle takes us anywhere we want in his tuk tuk. Have only seen one elephant here so far but are going to a national park on Sunday.

12. Tom Locke

Tom Locke Veteran Member
    Registered

We stayed in an eco-friendly hotel south of Colombo. It was excellent, as there were so many places to explore and watch birds, not to mention the other wildlife that appeared. The place had a canal running right through it and we encountered quite a few very large water monitors, including this one that was zonked out from eating a substantial snake.

69140007.JPG

Lara Moss and Terry Page like this.
  13. Terry Page

Registered

A half hour ago we came back from a walk around the lanes where we are staying, these pics I took just before the sunset, it's pitch dark at 7:00 pm now

h4.jpg

h6.jpg
    h11.jpg h3.jpg
    h10.jpg

The place we are staying in
    h1.jpg

The Tuk Tuk

h7.jpg

Within ten minutes of arriving on Wednesday I was immediately adopted by the family cat

cat.jpg

Our quaint bedroom
    bed.jpg

14. Terry Page

Registered

By coincidence Tom we came across several of them on the drive today, they were by a road bridge and a local made a living by charging a few rupees for taking photos of them.

h14.jpg
    h17.jpg

15. Tom Locke

Tom Locke Veteran Member
    Registered

Whenever I go away, I always keep a diary and one thing I note is the birds that I've seen. The most I've seen during a holiday has been in Sri Lanka (I've seen more in African countries, but that was when I was working there for longer periods). I've just checked my notes and I recorded 82 definite sightings, with another few that were "maybes". Among all the birds were several species of kingfisher. Here's a couple, though they are a little distant.

69120008.JPG 69120011.JPG

Joe Riley, Lara Moss and Terry Page like this.