Imitation Garden Hose

Discussion in 'Crops & Gardens' started by Corie Henson, Sep 22, 2016.

1. Corie Henson

Corie Henson Veteran Member
    Registered

A garden hose is a must in our house since we have quite a spacious backyard and front yard gardens. When our rubber hose broke, we ordered online the expandable type. The original costs 2,000 pesos (that's about $45) and the imitation was selling for only 250 pesos. Can you spot the big difference? That's 2,000 versus 250. Logic tells us to get the cheaper imitation.

And it came to pass that the first 3 imitation garden hose that we bought had already retired after 2 or 3 years. Maybe the original is durable and true to its promise (as seen on tv) but we are still mulling on the cost. What if the original is not as durable as we think? Well, we ordered the 4th imitation and it arrived the other day. We had tested it and like before, it looked good enough... hoping that it will last longer.

Diane Lane and Ike Willis like this.
  2. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

There is something that is important to know about the expandable hoses, @Corie Henson . I ruined the first two that we had also because I didn't pay attention close enough and used it like a regular garden hose.
    We always had a regular hose that I used for watering the yard and flowers, and I would drag it around each day as I did my watering chores. The hose was always laying out in the yard for most of the year, from spring until late fall.
    I really like the expandable hose because is was much lighter weight; but they did not last as long and they just blew out the nylon and shredded.
    The thing with the pocket hose is that it has to be picked up and put away each time you use it, and not left out in the grass like a regular hose. The instructions did say that , but I didn't pay attention and left it out like I always did with the heavy rubber hoses.
    We just got a new one, and this one is supposed to be a super heavy-duty one. I tried it when it first came to make sure it worked good, and then I coiled it back up and put it away, and it will be put away now until spring.
    When I use it next year, I am going to let it drain and shrink back up each time I use it to water the flowers, and then put it away each time, and hopefully it will then last longer than the previous ones lasted.

3. Corie Henson

Registered

@Yvonne Smith, we were so careful with the expandable hose because we know it is fragile particularly with the blue clothing cover. We also keep it after use after draining so it will be dry when kept in the storage.

We have noticed that the interior rubber hose is easy to break when the water pressure exceeds its capacity - this may be because it is an imitation but we still wonder if the original expandable hose can handle greater pressure. Our 3rd hose is actually still serviceable but with a hole already so when we use it, we have to be careful with the pressure otherwise it may explode with a big hole that it will render unusable anymore.

4. Von Jones

Von Jones Supreme Member
    Registered

I gave up on the expandable hose after purchasing two of them because Johnny did all the wrong things with them and ruined them within the first year of use. Now I keep in mind how Johnny would handle yard and garden tools --- Very Rough :D

Corie Henson likes this.
  5. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Supreme Member
    Registered

Was going to get a Pocket Hose/Expandable Hose, but after reading reviews of so much water leakage, decided not to. We have two regular hoses that we used when we had our house in Colorado. Living in an apartment now, we don't need either of the hoses here and besides that, there is no outside water faucet here and no way to connect a hose to any faucet inside our apartment.

6. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

I left my hose hooked up to the outside faucet too long last year and it froze up, and broke in several places. Actually, I don't know if it broke in several places because one was enough for me to replace it. I prefer to pay the extra money, if I have it, to get something that will last a long time, so I bought an expensive hose that will probably last me for years but it turns out that I hate it. My last hose rarely kinked and this one is always kinking, so every time I move it, I have to walk back along the length of the hose unkinking it. Yeah, I know. Not a major thing but I'm going to have to put up with it for years. I do roll my hoses up every time I am done with them, but have been trying to roll them up differently each time so as to get some of the kinks out. No luck, though.

Von Jones likes this.
  7. Von Jones

Von Jones Supreme Member
    Registered

Speaking of kinks in hoses, I got tired of backtracking to unkink so I no longer wrap my hose around the thingy, instead I hang it on one of the privacy fence poles. It's a lot easier to handle with the loops being longer and less kinks.

Diane Lane likes this.
  8. Diane Lane

Diane Lane Veteran Member
    Registered

I have three hoses. I have two water sources outside, one on each end of the house. I've replaced the standard hoses a few times, and the last time I got a regular medium one for the other side, which I rarely use, and a looped one (like the old phone cords) for the driveway side. I use that for cleaning the car, filling the cats' dishes, etc., but I use a 120' hose when I have to spray for weeds, because I need that length to reach the ditch out front. I keep that hose somewhat coiled up in a large rubbermaid container when not in use, since there may be chemical residue inside of it. That large hose kinks all the time, but I couldn't afford a better one, so i deal with it for now. I don't like having to keep going back to uncoil it because I don't want to expose myself to any more chemicals than necessary, and sometimes the kinks make the bottle of weed treatment spray randomly.

I love the coiled hose I have in the driveway. it's so handy and lightweight, and I just hang the trigger part and leave the rest dangling. Thankfully, it doesn't get too cold here in the winters, so even though I wrap the ends of the pipes that are sticking out of the house, I can still keep the hoses attached all year.

Von Jones likes this.
  9. Corie Henson

Registered

In fairness to the expandable garden hose, it is convenient to use because there's no kinks and knots. And when the faucet is turned off, it automatically shrinks so it is easy to keep for storage. We use a grocery bag for storage to save us from folding (is this the right term?) the hose. And when it shrinks, little water is left which is easy to remove. The only downside is the issue of durability since after a month or so, the imitation version develops a leak or a bulge. There was a time that I was using the hose with a bulge when it exploded in my hand, huh. I got wet all over.

Von Jones likes this.