Imagination At 30,000 Ft

Discussion in 'Reading & Writing' started by Tony Page, Jul 10, 2021.

1. Tony Page

Tony Page Veteran Member
    Registered

I don't have an exact date for this poem it was written in the early to mid-90s while on a business flight from New York to California. it was my first flight, I was alone and I'm sitting in a window seat, watching the cloud formations change and my imagination went a little wild.
    I hope you can read it I took a photo of a copy I had.

20210708_200627.jpg

2. Frank Sanoica

Frank Sanoica Supreme Member
    Registered

I have often tried to imagine just what the crew of Enola Gay were thinking a few minutes after they had released Little Boy from it's mooring and it totally obliterated an entire city full of people, homes, factories, war munitions, hospitals, and all else comprising a city of 255,000...........

They knew not in advance exactly what they carried to Hiroshima, with the exception only of their Captain, Col.Paul Tibbetts. He had been asked early in the flight by a perceptive crewman, "Captain, are we splitting atoms today"?

Tibbetts answered, "Something like that".

Frank

3. Tony Page

Tony Page Veteran Member
    Registered

I don't think we could ever know what's truly in the minds and hearts of people.
    From what I remember reading or maybe it was in the movie initially after they drop the bomb I believe they're only thought was to fly the plane and get away from detonation as soon as possible.
    I do remember one of the crew member feeling it was justified, remember back the it was a kill-or-be-killed mentality.

Frank Sanoica likes this.
  4. Shirley Martin

Shirley Martin Supreme Member
    Registered

That's a good description of my first flight, Tony.

5. Tony Page

Tony Page Veteran Member
    Registered

That's good news to me thanks