I'm Finding I Don't Need A Garden When My Husband Works In One

Discussion in 'Food & Drinks' started by Babs Hunt, Nov 15, 2016.

1. Babs Hunt

Babs Hunt Supreme Member
    Registered

Yesterday my Honey brought home yellow squash again (which we love) so today I decided to try to make a casserole with it. I couldn't find one that was just like I wanted and that I had all the ingredients for, so I just decided to make up my own version. I'm eating now...and it is really tasty.

I cut off the bruised areas, sliced the squash up and then cooked it down. Then I took a pound of ground beef, browned that with onions and bell peppers, cajun seasoning and some chopped jalapenos. I put the squash and beef, etc. together in a casserole dish, added some cooked rice, shredded cheddar cheese, and a can of cream of chicken soup. Then I sprinkled the top with smashed up ritz crackers. And cooked it in the over for about 45 minutes. It came out really good and my husband will be a very happy man when he comes home from work in a little while. The only thing I wish I would have had to add to it would have been a can of rotel tomatoes and I will try that next time.:) IMG_3824.JPG IMG_3826.JPG

He also brought home ripe bananas yesterday so I also made a banana oatmeal raisin cinnamon bundt cake bread. :)

Last edited: Dec 23, 2016
    Yvonne Smith likes this.
  2. Babs Hunt

Babs Hunt Supreme Member
    Registered

IMG_5090.JPG
    This morning I've been busy steaming the free veggies my Honey brought home from his job yesterday. :) I am finding that steaming them in my microwave steamer works best, the flavors are retained and the veggies do not get mushy. :) My Honey also brought home a free meat and vegetable pan to cook in the oven. I will share a picture of this when I get ready to cook it a few hours from now. Feeling blessed this morning for sure.

IMG_5100.JPG
    This is the meat and vegetables pan. I just put it in the oven at 350 degrees for a half hour, then I will take it out and cover it will foil, then back in the oven for another 2 hours of cooking. :)

Last edited: May 31, 2017
  3. Missy Lee

Missy Lee Veteran Member
    Registered

I find it ridiculous that the Soup Kitchen cannot have volunteers pick up the food. Wonder if they found another store source closer to them???

Anyone heard of the program called Plant A Row For The Hungry? You plant a little extra and donate the stuff to a food bank. Good plan!

Yvonne Smith and Babs Hunt like this.