I'm Excited

Discussion in 'Photos & Video' started by Kate Ellery, May 25, 2016.

1. Kate Ellery

Kate Ellery Veteran Member
    Registered

image.jpeg We received about an inch of rain in old readings overnight ,still raining here's a photos ..we haven't had any rain apart from a few spots for almost 9 months .its been very dry and dusty ...our main rain is forecast for tomorrow ..so the cereal farmers will be happy ..they can start sowing their crops of wheat, barley,oats ,canola ,rye..
    It is almost 9.30 Am in the morning here ..We have a small creek across the road witch catches all the storm water which then runs out down the beach ( a bit of a waste of water in a very dry area)
    The beach is where you can see the big Norfolk Island pine tree in background,behind street sign

2. Shirley Martin

Shirley Martin Veteran Member
    Registered

Hurrah! I'm glad for y'all.

Krissttina Isobe likes this.
  3. Chris Ladewig

Chris Ladewig Well-Known Member
    Registered

That's great news having lived in southern California Iknow how important that is.

Krissttina Isobe likes this.
  4. Kate Ellery

Registered

I live in Australia @Chris Ladewig ..I live in the driest state in Australia ...(South Aust) We are just going into winter here ..

Bill Boggs and Krissttina Isobe like this.
  5. Krissttina Isobe

Krissttina Isobe Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

Thank God for that little wet miracle...read in the Bible, Mathew 1:1-6 that you can pray and ask Christ too for better weather too. Luckily we have prayers for better and safer weather too. Here in Hawaii, from yesterday Maui and the Big Island is getting much needed rain for some drought areas there too. I hope al! the droughts end safely!

Joe Riley likes this.
  6. K E Gordon

K E Gordon Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

I am so happy you got rain kate Ellery. I should send you some of ours...! We have had nothing but rain for the past month! Today is a dry day, but starting tommorrow..you guessed it rain! I suppose if I hadn't any for 9 months I would happy to see it though. I just think that it would be hard to deal with too much dryness.

Joe Riley likes this.
  7. Julie Stewart

Julie Stewart Well-Known Member
    Registered

We've had more rain than usual (north-east France) during April and May. The temperatures are lower than the annual norm for the season also. This is going to affect the champagne vines and result in a late harvest. One immediate result has been an excess of snails and they have to be kept off the vines. This has created more work for the vineyards who haven't yet started to employ extra seasonal workers. On Sunday a friend asked us to help him out on his two small vineyards - he's 74 and his wife 68 and were finding it all a bit back-breaking. So we helped them - then spent the rest of the afternoon drinking champagne.

They had put all the snails into a bucket and delivered them to a neighbour who was going to make a meal out of them.

8. Joe Riley

Joe Riley Veteran Member
    Registered

That's funny, Julie....the story of the workers in the vineyard, found in the Bible (Mat. 20:1) says nothing about a champagne break and a bucket of Escargot.:D;)
    [​IMG]

Julie Stewart and Yvonne Smith like this.
  9. Bill Boggs

Bill Boggs Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

Where do you live in Summer?

Last edited: Jun 1, 2016
    Christen Aellie likes this.
  10. Kate Ellery

Registered

@Bill Boggs Our summer is December to the end of February..

Bill Boggs likes this.
  11. Bill Boggs

Registered

I misread your comment above. Thought you said, "You were just going to winter there." Leaving me to think where do you live in the summer. Apologizes.

12. Corie Henson

Corie Henson Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

Good for you. It looks like you are very thirsty for rains. I'm amused with that snails for a meal. Are you serious that those snails will be escargot delight? We gather those snails and ground it on concrete to serve as fertilizer.

Here in suburban Metro Manila, it has been raining every day since last week. That's good news for us too and the rains are welcome for now because we just came from a drought. Imagine the water we consume in watering the garden twice a day. And the electricity consumption is excessive with the all day operation of the living room air conditioner and the all night running of the bedroom air conditioner. We just hope that the rains will be mild so as not to ruin our garden and no floods, please.

Julie Stewart likes this.
  13. Diane Lane

Diane Lane Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

I've been inundated with snails here, as well. I guess from all the rain, but I didn't know that until reading this thread. We've had torrential rains here, with some deaths and many people displaced, and more in the forecast. It's so nice to see rain after such a dry spell, I'm glad you're getting some, and hope your weather evens out over there. It sounds as if they need to set up a catchment system, so the water's not wasted. Here's a link about different rain catchment systems you can DIY, in case anyone's interested. http://theselfsufficientliving.com/making-diy-rain-barrels/

Frank Sanoica and Julie Stewart like this.
  14. Ina I. Wonder

Ina I. Wonder Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

I know much of Texas needs water, but in the Eastern part we're flooding. My ground is so wet you can't walk in the yard. In the last month, two tree drunk have come down on my place from the high winds. I now have a hole in my livingroom, and one in my husband's old work shop. I'm waiting for drier weather so the handyman can get up there to fix both holes. $$$$ :eek:

Bill Boggs and Diane Lane like this.
  15. Julie Stewart

Julie Stewart Well-Known Member
    Registered

AH - maybe they hadn't been to France! I'm a vegetarian so wasn't tempted by the snails, although I do eat seafood and I think snails might be in the same family food-wise. I'm not sure about that. Anyway - nope, not tempted by snails - weird because I happily slurp down oysters. Luckily there's no flesh in champagne ....

Bill Boggs likes this.
  16. Christen Aellie

Christen Aellie New Member
    Registered

I live in Pakistan

Bill Boggs likes this.
  17. Bill Boggs

Registered

Kate Ellery, I've been on a senior forum in Australia since 2009, In fact belonged to three at different times. I've read two books by NSA employees stationed at Alice Springs in their underground situation, learned a little about your politics, still communicate occasionally on the forum. I could never get used to the different season. When we're burning up here, you are freezing, And your wildfires and floods are something else. Welcome aboard here. Cheers.

18. Bill Boggs

Registered

Welcome, Christen Aellie, have a friend here where I live from Pakistan who returns periodically to visit his family. Great guy. Hope you enjoy the forum.

19. Frank Sanoica

Frank Sanoica Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

@Diane Lane Snails! Where is this activity taking place? I thought snails lived mostly underwater. I've heard some folks EAT them! The only snails I've ever seen were quite small, and could not be eaten (unless you were starving, I suppose).

20. Kate Ellery

Registered

Yes it can get a little confusing @Bill Boggs ,having members from all over the world mention what the weather is like where they live can't it .:D..The thing I find confusing now is if a member mentions it's Hot !! 90 degrees ...I think What ...... However the boots on the other foot what I say it's cooool today only 15c...as it here today ..one of my " friends will say is that cold ? :D

But there again how we forget what we were taught at school ..:eek: We had pounds ,shillings and pence ,bought flour ,sugar,biscuits, meat by the pound and ounces ....Then our government changed us to metric in 1966 ...I was 20 years old when it all changed .

Despite all this ..I like this forum ,and my "friends" I've made on here... I learn something everyday from all the members form different countries and enjoy interacting with them all ,manly playing games but also reading interesting posts members have posted ..:D

I have been to Alice Springs it's weeks travel,by car from where I live in South Aust ,it's an interesting place ,lots of outback beauty in the area ..

Last edited: Jun 13, 2016
  21. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Veteran Member
    Registered

There are such huge differences depending on where someone lives. Here in Maine, we've had rain at least once a week, usually at least two days out the week, with rain every day some weeks. It has been raining off and on for the last three days, and it's supposed to keep up through Tuesday, with only partial sun on Wednesday. Last spring, summer and fall was the same. We are having unusually cool weather this spring, though; our highs this week will be in the low to mid 50s, and I don't think we've seen temperatures above 70 in a while. When I lived in Southern California, it would rain for two week's straight once a year, but that was about it. In Texas, we'd have thunderstorms and temperatures above one hundred at the same time, but not a lot of rain overall.

22. Diane Lane

Diane Lane Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

They're all over here. I mainly see them occasionally in the garden or driveway, but lately, they've been up on the balcony and also climbing the posts on the houses. I don't know if they're climbing to escape the high water or seeking dry earth/plants to burrow into. I don't know much about them, and I for sure am not going to eat them :eek:.

K E Gordon likes this.
  23. K E Gordon

K E Gordon Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

We seem to go in streaks here. May was like our wettest and coolest month ever here in Central VA. It rained almost every day. June has been pretty dry, but we are in for some storms in the next couple of days. In the summer, it can rain pretty much anytime in the afternoon, because it gets quite humid. Not Florida humid, but more humid than I like for sure. I am going to really try to get a summer place in Pennsylvania...if I ever get any disposable income...because houses are cheap in my home area..and I could could escape the heat and be near by aging parents too.

Diane Lane likes this.
  24. Texas Beth

Texas Beth Well-Known Member
    Registered

It was earlier this month that Texas got 4 days straight of rain. The water even pooled in place in my garden that I had to rescue plants. Now, it is only a few weeks later and we are having heat indexes of 105 to 111 degrees. My plants don't know whether to drown or burn up!!

Ina I. Wonder likes this.
  25. Frank Sanoica

Frank Sanoica Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

@Texas Beth

Two weeks ago we had a few days of 118` 119`, relative humidity was 10%, Dew Point very low. They call out the heat index differently here: call it "feels like".

It "felt like" 105`. Usually, with our extremely dry air, it always seems less hot than it actually is. Except in July-August, when Mexico ships huge amounts of moisture up here, and the humidity may go as high as 50% or more, when the Dew point exceeds 55` three days in a row, they proclaim it "Monsoon Weather"!

Frank