I'm A Sheet Snob

Discussion in 'Home Improvement' started by Diane Lane, Oct 15, 2016.

1. Diane Lane

Diane Lane Veteran Member
    Registered

Apparently some people don't care about the sheets they sleep on, and don't think much about the subject. That's never been the case with me. I don't like to spend a lot of money, particularly since I don't have much right now, but I do try to buy the best quality I can for the money I have available to spend.

I've always liked super soft sheets and blankets. I can't handle having anything scratchy on my skin, and the Fibromyalgia has made it so that I don't even use some of my former sheets, blankets and even clothing because of discomfort. I think good sheets are worth splurging on, especially since I tend to keep mine for a long time. I usually have 3-4 sets that I cycle through, so they last for years. The high quality well made sheets get softer with use and won't shrink up in the wash.

I tried buying a replacement set a while back, and I made the mistake of purchasing them online, rather than in person. I like shopping online when I know the brand and quality, but I took a chance, and it was a waste of money. I could pretty much see through the sheets, they were so thin, and they were a little scratchy, too. I used them once, washed them, and donated them. I'm sure there are people who won't mind how thin they are, or will use them for other purposes, such as drop cloths.

Are you a sheet snob? Does quality matter when you're buying bedding?

2. Patsy Faye

Patsy Faye Supreme Member
    Registered

Agree with you - quality bedding is a must
    I've spent so much in that department over the years, I should get a free gift, at least !
    I've had Canadian sheets in the past and the Portugal sheets were nice, both soft and silky feel and lasted
    so very well. Can't get them now so I buy - oh blast, can't think of her name :rolleyes:

3. Tim Burr

Tim Burr Veteran Member
    Registered

Apparently, we have Pinzon Egyptian 400 count sheets on the main bed.
    L.L. Bean Flannels in the back 'Guest' bedroom.
    As you can guess, the wife picks these. ( yea, I had to ask her...)
    I myself, would sleep on 'Star Wars' sheets. Would match my P.J.'s :eek:

4. Patsy Faye

Patsy Faye Supreme Member
    Registered

Ha ha ! :p

5. K E Gordon

K E Gordon Veteran Member
    Registered

I am not especially picky about sheets, my big concern is that they fit the bed. I hate it when sheets are too small or get that way after too much washing and start slipping off the bed. That is super annoying. The sheet set I have now I got for a song, and was really concerned they might shrink so I got King instead of Queen..However, were plenty big and did not shrink, but the Queen would have fit the bed better, however, I would rather have them too big than too small!

Von Jones likes this.
  6. Arlene Richards

Arlene Richards Veteran Member
    Registered

I guess I'm also a sheet snob @Diane Lane because I can relate very well to what you say. Don't like rough scratchy sheets at all. I also like good quality towels & washcloths.

7. Frank Sanoica

Frank Sanoica Supreme Member
    Registered

Well, ..........I sleep in a chair. Have to, in order to ameliorate the pain of arthritis. Sheets consist of a half-sheet spread out over my recliner, tucked in at the top and sides, and thereby I sleep.

I hope to eventually return to a bed. For now, this has to do. Come morning, how do I feel? Not too good.
    But, I'll get by. Nobody inferred being 74 years old would come off as "easy"!
    Frank

Patsy Faye likes this.
  8. Kate Ellery

Kate Ellery Supreme Member
    Registered

I purchased a new pair of 1000 thread queen size sheets from a large fabric/homewares store about a month ago
    I took them out of the clear package only to discover the 1000 thread count sheets actually had a very strong chemical smelling silver coating on one side of them ..so they were a silver colour on one side and beige on the other..I was actually horrified that sheets had such a smell let alone the coating ..
    I packed them up ,to take them back as soon as I could
    I bought them in the city almost 200 km from where I live so I phoned the shop and explained I would not be down for approx two weeks ,which they said was in the acceptable time frame for returns ..the shop didn't hesitate to refund my $50 ..I've never seen sheets before with such a obvious chemical coating on them before ..I was not impressed

Yes I'm a sheet snob ..I have some fairly old sheets which were made in Adelaide ,they were the best money could buy if you could afford to buy them ,the brand was called Actill .They are now made in China, however the fabric is poor quality compaired to my "old sheets"

Last edited: Oct 16, 2016
    Diane Lane, Honey Gee and Patsy Faye like this.
  9. Honey Gee

Honey Gee Veteran Member
    Registered

I like Egyptian cotton sheets. Have to have a fitted cotton bottom sheet. Keep me lovely and cool.

10. Corie Henson

Corie Henson Veteran Member
    Registered

I don't fully understand the title of this thread but from what I gather, a sheet snob is someone who is conscious of the quality of the sheet particularly that it is soft. Well, my husband is one sheet snob then. He wouldn't use a sheet that is laundered with corn starch and he wouldn't use sheets with rough edges. My first concern for him is the pillow case because that is the one that gets in direct contact with his skin particularly the face. In fact, we don't have the same pillow case because his is special... the expensive kind.

Honey Gee and Von Jones like this.
  11. Von Jones

Von Jones Supreme Member
    Registered

I guess over the years I have become a sheet snob too. I buy new sheets only when there is a clearance sale because they are so expensive these days.

Honey Gee likes this.
  12. Honey Gee

Honey Gee Veteran Member
    Registered

Awh Frank I feel for you. Are you on strong enough medication. Big hugs x

13. Chrissy Cross

Chrissy Cross Supreme Member
    Registered

Yes, I'm a sheet snob. My sheets have to be very soft and silky in the spring and summer months. I do use flannel in the winter but not on my pillowcase. I mentioned my pillowcase before on here somewhere...don't know what the material is but I love it.

14. K E Gordon

K E Gordon Veteran Member
    Registered

Scratchy sheets are why God and Proctor and Gamble invented fabric softener!:p:p:cool:

Von Jones likes this.
  15. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

For twenty years of my life, I used hospital/ambulance sheets because I could just toss them into the laundry hopper at the hospital and let them clean them for me, and pick up fresh ones. That changed when I married because, for one thing, I don't think my wife liked that idea but, for another, they don't carry sheets for large beds. I don't have a particular sensitivity to any particular type of sheet, although I do appreciate some of the better quality sheets, but I much prefer clean sheets every night, if possible, or at least for them to be changed frequently. When I was using hospital sheets, I changed them every day. That's a little harder to do when you're doing your own laundry though, but if they aren't changed regularly, they itch. I suspect that has something to do with a couple of our cats who sleep in the bed, although they rarely go under the blankets.