I'll Be A Happy Camper When My New Mattress Arrives

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by Lon Tanner, Apr 12, 2021.

1. Lon Tanner

Lon Tanner Supreme Member
    Registered

I am looking forward to getting some good sleep time and hope that my new Memory Foam mattress will do the trick.

2. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Supreme Member
    Registered

Guess the CBD Oil didn't work, huh?

3. Lon Tanner

Registered

It hasn't done a thing for sleeping better

4. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Supreme Member
    Registered

How about pain?

5. Lon Tanner

Registered

I have no pain

6. Lon Tanner

Registered

Salvation Army and Goodwill will not take my old Queen size mattress because of COVID. It's in mint condition but I can't give it away. I never knew it could be that difficult to get rid of amattress. Maybe that's why we see them on the highway and in fields abandoned.

7. Hugh Manely

Hugh Manely Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

I found it easy to give my great mattress away. Why did I give it away? - well, I was having back problems, with a dull ache almost all day long.

So I knew it was the mattress (I found out later that it probably was NOT the mattress), and I began to do research for several months on mattresses.

Long story short, I had some rather extensive remodeling work done on our bedrooms (painting, removing the carpet from the hardwood floors, etc), and one of the workers was a Mexican, who had come to this country (legally) a few years ago. A great person, with a large family, and struggling to make ends meet. I asked Juan if he knew of anyone in his family who could use a good mattress. Well, he jumped at that offer, and told me that some of his family didn't even own one. He thanked me profusely, and that was 8 yr ago. Since then I have helped him in other ways and he is always ready to help me out with anything around our house that needs fixing.

Juan is now a good friend, and one thing that endeared me to him is that he loves this country, and especially our country music. (His favorite is Walk the Line by Johnny Cash)

8. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

I thought it odd when you said you were gonna donate it in the first place, Lon. Even pre-COVID, I didn't think places would take used mattresses. I believe that Salvation Army would only take bed frames...never mattresses or box springs.

Try the local homeless or battered women's shelters. Perhaps mentioning the COVID protocols your residence has had in place might help surmount any objections.

Beth Gallagher likes this.
  9. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

We can dump ours out at the municipal transfer station, but I'm not sure if there's a charge for that. The last mattress that we replaced was a memory foam mattress, and I just cut it up, using pieces of it as cat beds and dumping the rest at the transfer station as regular trash.

10. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

Does your living facility have a bulletin board where you can post things? You could put up a "free to a good home" or ask some of the staff if they might have friends or family that could use it.

Our Goodwill and Salvation Army hasn't picked up mattresses for years; long before Covid. I was wondering if it was different where you live.

11. Lon Tanner

Registered

I have tried all the suggestions and the bottom line is I will be paying $75 to have the mattress picked up and taken to the dump for disposalMonday the 19th

12. Hugh Manely

Registered

Just ask someone with a truck to drive down to a poor area, and ask around.

Believe me, there will be some who will be glad for you to leave it with them.

13. Hugh Manely

Registered

upload_2021-4-16_17-47-37.png

This is a photo of me and Juan (who was the recipient of my old mattress) doing some plastering at my house about 6 years ago. upload_2021-4-16_17-47-37.png upload_2021-4-16_17-47-37.png

John Brunner likes this.
  14. Lon Tanner

Registered

I don't know anyone with a truck. I called JUNK KING and they will pick up.

15. Nancy Hart

Nancy Hart Veteran Member
    Registered

The last mattress I bought was from a small retail outlet. They took my old mattress when they delivered the new one. Said they put them outside near their store and they always disappear.

John Brunner and Beth Gallagher like this.