If You Were Given All The Things You Ever Lost

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussions' started by Holly Saunders, Apr 3, 2016.

1. Holly Saunders

Holly Saunders Supreme Member
    Registered

This was a really interesting thread started by an SO member on another forum...so I thought it might be fun to have it here too...:D

if you were given a Box..with everything you've ever lost in your life and you could choose one item out of the box to keep now , what would it be? ( Just material things.. no animals, people or feelings)

2. Chrissy Cross

Chrissy Cross Supreme Member
    Registered

An old gold necklace that was my great grandmothers. I think it was stolen in Hungary when we had work done on our house.

It was a very long necklace and my mom had it made into 3 necklaces for me and my 2 sisters. I don't have mine anymore. :(

3. Ruby Begonia

Ruby Begonia Supreme Member
    Registered

A bracelet from China that was given to my mother after the war. It was made up of hinged panels, each panel was made of filagreed silver. In the center of each panel was a tiny, carved ivory image of some kind of angel or person. These carvings were painted bright colors.

A jeweler gave me the info on the materials. A Chinese man pointed out one of the figures as an angel. Both thought it could be worth a lot of money.

It was stolen, I believe since it's nowhere to be found. I never wore it since I was a teen.

4. Chrissy Cross

Registered

Aww Ruby, that sounds like such a treasure!

Holly Saunders likes this.
  5. Ruby Begonia

Registered

Not only was it valuable in that it was gold, but very sentimental I'm sure, since it was your great grandmothers and your mother had it made especially for you three.

6. Karen McKenzie

Karen McKenzie Veteran Member
    Registered

The first ring my husband bought me when we were dating. It was a big pearl with diamonds around it. I have no idea..I checked everywhere..every purse and jacket... I still think one of these days it will turn up somewhere among our nearly 39 years worth of stuff. I was so thrilled wearing that gorgeous ring to work the next day :)

7. Chrissy Cross

Registered

I've lost other jewelry too over the years, some more sentimental than others but I think I miss that the most. It wasn't just a thin gold chain. It was made of small links put together.

Karen McKenzie and Ruby Begonia like this.
  8. Ruby Begonia

Registered

I hope it does show up, Karen.

Karen McKenzie and Chrissy Cross like this.
  9. Chrissy Cross

Registered

I have hope for some things showing up, like the gold cross my husband's mother gave him. :(

10. Karen McKenzie

Karen McKenzie Veteran Member
    Registered

I think women do treasure their jewelry..so much sentiment involved..I have a gold necklace with different charms I've worn over twenty years...it goes right over my head. :). I try to be careful because I'd be hard pressed to replace it now. I think the charm holder like I have aren't sold anymore..

11. Bonnie Thomas

Bonnie Thomas Veteran Member
    Registered

I lost my wedding dress somewhere along the way, in the many moves we made when we were first married..
    Now, I didn't have a formal wedding with a big fancy wedding gown. We eloped, and I bought a white lacy dress to be married in. It got put in a box in the attic at one of our apartments.
    Moved out and left that box behind.
    Funny thing is that I didn't know it was missing for many years. Living across country, one day it hit me!
    Now I want that dress back.:oops:

12. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

Mine would be a silver bracelet that belonged to my mother, and disappeared soon after she died. I am pretty sure it was stolen because I could never find it anywhere.
    I am not interested in jewelry, and seldom wear any; but this bracelet was something that my mother treasured, and wore ever day of her life until she passed away.

When my mom was a little girl, my grandfather was an Indian agent in Arizona for a while. They lived on the reservation there, and her very best friend ever was an Indian girl. This friend gave my mom a handmade, engraved silver friendship bracelet.

The little characters ingraved on the bracelet fascinated me from the time I was a small girl, and my mom would explain to me what they were and what each one meant.
    Shortly before she passed away from congestive heart failure; she had to stop wearing the bracelet and put it away in her top dresser drawer.
    Naturally, I didn't even think of the bracelet at first, due to the sheer pain of losing my mother; but when I remembered about it, and went to look, it was gone, never to be found.

If I had it now, I would give it to my daughter, Robin, as a keepsake of her grandmother. Here is my mother, holding Robin (her only grandaughter), and you can see the bracelet on her wrist if you look close.
    image.jpeg

Last edited: Apr 3, 2016
  13. Denise Evans

Denise Evans Supreme Member
    Registered

My 66 Buick Skylark Gran Sport:( I will always miss it. Mine was just as nice, only not such fancy wheels, it was all stock. And it was white w/red-pinstripes.[​IMG]

14. Ruby Begonia

Registered

Nice ride, Denise.

Denise Evans likes this.
  15. Ruby Begonia

Registered

@Bonnie Thomas and @Yvonne Smith , these things that may not be worth a lot monetarily but remind us of loved ones, causes sadness when they disappear. We know we shouldn't be attached to material things, but in a sense, we are when it comes to loved ones.

I have several things from my parents still, but one day while in the Goodwill Store, I saw a green creamer and sugar bowl that was on my mom's table all the time. I bought them.

Now, when I walk past them and my eye falls on them, Im 14 again, in our kitchen with my mother, the neighbors, the smell of coffee and Kent cigarettes!

Last edited: Apr 3, 2016