If You Like Gingerbread, Come On In...

Discussion in 'Food & Drinks' started by Diane Lane, Jul 14, 2015.

1. Diane Lane

Diane Lane Veteran Member
    Registered

I was downstairs making lunch, and I was suddenly hit with a yearning for gingerbread. I might want gingerbread, but then again, maybe I'm actually craving gingersnaps, or gingerbread men. Since I'm not quite sure, I did a search, and came up with this link to a collection of gingerbread-type recipes, and what else would I do with them besides share with y'all? http://www.brit.co/gingerbread-recipes/

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  2. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

I have not made gingerbread in quite a while; but it is one of my favorite quick breads. I like it because i can make it with whole wheat flour, and molasses, which is much healthier for a person than white flour and sugar are, and the taste is a stronger taste, which I also like.

In the summertime, especially when it is hot like it is right now, we do not use our oven, and often just have cold meals or sandwiches. If we cook, then I do it on the stove or the Ninja crockpot. That way, we do not heat up the house any more than it already is, and it helps to keep the electricity bll down, too.
    In the wintertime, it is great to have fresh gingerbread with our morning coffee.

Diane Lane likes this.
  3. Diane Lane

Registered

There are 30 recipes, and
    There are some recipes in there that don't require the oven. I use mine sparingly in the hot weather, but would never rule it out, for the right recipe. There are several in that article that I will hopefully try making.

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  4. Hannah Davis

Hannah Davis Veteran Member
    Registered

When I was growing up we use to eat ginger snap cookies all the time in my house. As the years went on we hardly had them anymore and I never saw them in the stores either. I wasn't sure ginger snaps were still being made. As for ginger bread well my family isn't big on this type of cookie. I too could either take them or leave them.

5. Helene Lawson

Helene Lawson Veteran Member
    Registered

Oh Gingerbread, I used to love it when I was a little child my mother would bake it for me.
    I will definitely see those recipes and maybe manage to do my own. :D

Diane Lane likes this.
  6. Diane Lane

Registered

Some are a bit too elaborate for me, but there are quite a few I'd like to try out. The gingerbread latte sounds good for a nice relaxing evening drink, as well.

7. Joe Riley

Joe Riley Supreme Member
    Registered

8. Von Jones

Von Jones Supreme Member
    Registered

I am the only one in my family (mother and two sisters) who likes and loves ginger- anything. My immediate family (husband, sons, step-daughter) do not like it either. I consider ginger to be unique like root beer there is nothing like either of them.

My husband would often surprise me with a bag of gingersnap cookies and I'd prepare me a cup of hot tea and sip and dip. Love
    em!

Diane Lane and Bill Boggs like this.
  9. Bill Boggs

Bill Boggs Supreme Member
    Registered

I love ginger Snaps and hot tea.

Von Jones and Diane Lane like this.
  10. Diane Lane

Registered

That's the cutest pic, Joe, I'm going to share it with my sis, she's a dental hygienist.

11. Diane Lane

Registered

I wonder if everyone who likes root beer also enjoys ginger? I know I do, and so does my Mom, and my Dad did, as well. My siblings don't care for either.

Von Jones likes this.
  12. Pat Baker

Pat Baker Supreme Member
    Registered

I don't know why I never remember I like ginger snap cookies with a cup of hot tea. It is not a cookie I get often but when I do get one I like it.

Von Jones and Diane Lane like this.
  13. Diane Lane

Registered

Well, after going through all of these recipes and the ingredients I had on hand, I ended up making these gingerbread bars: http://www.landolakes.com/recipe/1068/easy-gingerbread-bars. I made healthy baked apples the other day, and added in a bunch of clove, because I like it, even though the recipe didn't call for it. When I stored the baked apples, I also poured the extra liquid from the pan (used to baste the apples with as they baked) into the container.

I just plopped a gingerbread bar in a bowl and topped it with a baked (half) apple, then poured some of that liquid on top, and heated it up. It was delicious!!

Von Jones likes this.
  14. Allison Schuck

Allison Schuck Veteran Member
    Registered

I am a ginger lover. I like ginger beer in the summer.
    I always have ginger ale in the fridge.
    I like ginger cookies.
    If I make a noodle dish, I like ginger in it, but I haven't made it for a long time, think I forgot how. It is a Philippines recipe so Corie probably makes it.

I like it all....

Von Jones likes this.
  15. Lucy Brown

Lucy Brown Veteran Member
    Registered

I love Gingerbread...use to make Gingerbread cakes for the kids when they were small. But, they had to be the small packet cake mixes...and iced with butter icing... :) And, isn't it funny how Santa always brought our son a Gingerbread house every Christmas? :D Love Ginger Snap cookies too...

Von Jones likes this.