If You Knew This Was Probably The Last Trip You Would Be Driving For Where Would You Go?

Discussion in 'Travel & Vacation' started by Babs Hunt, Feb 10, 2017.

1. Babs Hunt

Babs Hunt Supreme Member
    Registered

IMG_3241.JPG

Here we are with this my nice little dream car that God blessed us with this past August and all it's been used for since then is getting back and forth to work for my Honey and running errands, Doctor checkups, etc....

With my Honey's macular degeneration his eyesight isn't getting any better and now I am developing cataracts which my eye doctor says I will need surgery for in a few years. So it only seems logical that if we are going to take a trip in our new car it will have to be soon.

The dream trip I want to take is to visit with my husband's brother in Colorado, then swing up to Utah and visit his daughter and son-in-law, and the last stop will be in Oregon to visit my brother and his wife. That's alot of miles but we have the time and enough money at this time to take that trip which would probably be one of the last driving long trips we would take. And I will probably have to do the majority of the driving but there would be no driving at night.

I used to be so brave...but lately I don't feel that way at all, part of me feels fragile, although I hate to admit this. Is this part of getting old losing our courage to explore the new?

If you could do this, would you? And where would go?

2. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

I would go .........I would definitely go ! I loved traveling when I was younger and still able to drive cross-country and enjoy doing it, and now that we can't go anywhere, I really miss it, and wish that one last trip were a possibility for us, too.
    Since you have family in all of those places that you want to see, it sounds like an exciting trip to me, @Babs Hunt . By the time you plan a round trip all the way to Oregon and back with different routes going and coming back, you would be able to see a lot of wonderful sights along the way.
    When we moved out here from Idaho, I got a camping membership (we came out in a small motor home) and we stopped at campgrounds along the way because we were traveling with our dogs, and you can't always find a motel where they are allowed.
    The campgrounds worked perfect for us, because they had shower facilities, and plenty of room for us to have the dogs out and let them run around good each night.
    With no pets, and just the car, you would want to stay in motels, and if you look at one of the discount motel websites, you can book ahead and save a lot of money in hotel discounts with that, once you have your trip itinerary planned out.
    I think that it would be a great trip for you guys to take, and since we never know what will happen healthwise, it is good to do it while you know that you still can do it.
    When @Ina I. Wonder went on her trip, she was able to post and share pictures with us here, and I really enjoyed seeing where she was going to each day, and all of the fun she had on that sight-seeing trip.

Babs Hunt likes this.
  3. Babs Hunt

Babs Hunt Supreme Member
    Registered

Yeah..with my hot spot gadget and the motel internet connections I could sure share pictures with y'all from our trip. The year after we moved back here to Louisiana I planned a trip to Colorado for us so I could meet my husband's brother and his Mom before she died. I found out I was really good at planning trip routes and finding inexpensive motels to stay at along the route so we wouldn't have to drive at night. I saved all that info in case we ever were able to head that way again. If we do it we would leave in May again so the weather in those places would not be bad.

I want to do it @Yvonne Smith and I figure God blessed us with that new car for more than just going back and forth around here. But I need prayer for courage because mine has seemed to run off somewhere lately.

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  4. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff

Nice car.

Babs Hunt and Yvonne Smith like this.
  5. Chrissy Cross

Chrissy Cross Supreme Member
    Registered

I would do it @Babs Hunt ....I don't have the courage to drive by myself though. The most I can do is 3-4 hours without stopping.
    The drive to my daughter's is 3 hrs and I never stop...never.

If I had someone to do it with I would do the Pacific coast...I'd like to do it all but since I'm right in the middle, don't know which way I'd go.

It's a beautiful drive...I've done some of hwy 1 long ago.

My dream is to do it in an RV but that won't happen unless I find a man that has an RV or I win lotto.

Babs Hunt likes this.
  6. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff

Our dream is to get a good RV once we're down to only one cat. But, at the same time, I don't really want to be down to only one cat. Still, one cat could travel quite well in an RV, particularly a more socialized one like Ella. Cutie and Lydia would not travel well.

Babs Hunt and Chrissy Cross like this.
  7. Babs Hunt

Babs Hunt Supreme Member
    Registered

I once had a dream like that. I thought when we retired we would buy a nice cozy camper and travel but as time went by and I began to notice my husband was as much a homebody as I am....this dream just seemed to fade away.

8. Chrissy Cross

Registered

Even after doing the trip to my daughter's for 8 years now, Pickles still hides when he sees my bags getting ready to go in the car for the trip...once he's there he's happy.

It's torture driving with Pickles, makes 3 hours seem like 5!

Patsy Faye likes this.
  9. Patsy Faye

Patsy Faye Supreme Member
    Registered

Ha ! Well, if I could I would go over to Ireland, as it is - has to be Tesco :rolleyes: :p

10. Holly Saunders

Holly Saunders Supreme Member
    Registered

@Babs Hunt The little Kia is a very popular car in this country, mostly for around town driving.

I have a similar size and style car but it's a Ford, I like it especially at this time of the year with ice and snow.. because it has heated windscreen as well as rear screen

I drive all over the UK and Spain...a lot...although lately because of my lumbar disc problems I do have to have a cushion, and my back hurts badly if I drive for more than a couple of hours at a stretch....but if I could go on a driving trip..I'd love to drive the whole length of coastal Australia in the summer... wat a fabulous trip that would be.

However I'm happy that I can still drive several times a year many miles around the coast of Southern Spain...

Last edited: Feb 11, 2017
  11. Terry Page

Terry Page Supreme Member
    Registered

I would drive down the Californian west coast from San Francisco to San Diego, spending 3 months doing it with lots of stopovers, I did drive down most of it in 2002 and loved it all.....and the people I met were amazing.....lots of memories....

12. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff

I agree that the trip down the West Coast is awesomely beautiful, and I have also done that, many years ago. Robin was with me, and we just puttered our way down the coast highway, enjoying the sights along the way and stopping wherever we felt like stopping. We saw the Sea lion caves, visited an large aquarium, stopped at the Oregon Vortex (which is not on the coast exactly, but is an amazing place to see), and worked our way down through the states of Washington, Oregon, and California. We ended up in Southern California and went to Disneyland, and then came back home again up the freeway. I think t was on the way back home that we stopped at the Oregon Vortex, since it is not far off of I-5 freeway.
    We camped at campgrounds along the way and slept in a tent, and enjoyed the campgrounds facilities as we traveled.
    Another travel experience was when I was visiting Robin in Virginia . She took me to Williamsburg, where everyone dresses in period costumes, and the stores all look like they belong in the 1700's, or maybe earlier.
    We went to where the site of Jamestown used to be and watched the re-inactment of the settlers coming there, and saw glass actually being made at one of the old-time furnaces like they had back in those days. At night, we took the haunted ghost tour, and walked through the streets of town, where our tour guide pointed out the houses that were said to be haunted and told us the story of each one.
    One building still had cannonballs in it from both the revoloutionary war and the civil war. Having grown up way out west, we simply did not have any history that went that far back, and this was an incredible experience for me.
    I think that if this were possible for us, I would like to travel across the United States just one more time, and maybe see some of the places that I missed seeing before as well as re-visiting some that I loved from other trips.

13. Chrissy Cross

Registered

I enjoyed Williamsburg, went when I was working for ES&S, Virginia was my first job with them. It was humid though! That's when I was dating John and we met up there and he took me to Williamsburg on our day off.

Babs Hunt likes this.
  14. Missy Lee

Missy Lee Veteran Member
    Registered

First of all I must say I like the eyelashes on Bab's car.....just toooo cute :)

I don't drive (scared to) but hubby does so for a road trip I would pack hubby, kitty and fishing gear and head back up to Peterborough, Ontario and rent a cottage. Trouble is that once I got there I might not want to drive back.

15. Babs Hunt

Babs Hunt Supreme Member
    Registered

We still have our AAA membership every though our new car comes with road side assistance, so I'm going to go to the website and plan the trip and let them map it out for me a couple of ways and see what looks best for us. I do want to do more than just visit with our family members. I want to take time to see places like some of y'all have told me about in your post. If we do this it will be a once in a lifetime trip and we need to make the most of it.:)