If You Had To Pick, What Would Your Favorite All Time Movie Be?

Discussion in 'Movies' started by K E Gordon, Aug 27, 2016.

1. K E Gordon

K E Gordon Veteran Member
    Registered

It is hard to pick a favorite movie, like picking a favorite song, there are a lot of good ones to choose from. I am a fan of the original Rocky movie which was quite inspiring. I don't own it though. One movie that I have watched several times, and I really like because it is also an inspirational sports story is Rudy..about a young kid who was determined to play football for Notre Dame despite manyl obstacles in his path. I think the real Rudy is now a motivational speaker. I used to watch Notre Dame football as a kid, and was familiar with a lot of the players and coaches. I was also extremely impressed with the Sound of Music.but I have seen that so many times now, it has lost its luster.

2. Joe Riley

Joe Riley Supreme Member
    Registered

I would have to pick the very first VHS movie, we rented and watched...it was a big deal. and will always be a sentimental favorite! Flight of the Navigator.:cool:

Ken Anderson likes this.
  3. Gary Ridenour

Gary Ridenour Veteran Member
    Registered

English version available

K E Gordon likes this.
  4. Patsy Faye

Patsy Faye Supreme Member
    Registered

There is only one choice for me, my favourite all time film is - Its a wonderful life with Jimmy Stewart

K E Gordon likes this.
  5. K E Gordon

Registered

Another personal favorite is Glory with Denzel Washington, Morgan Freeman and Matthew Broderiick. I love that movie. They were brave men and knew they faced certain
    death. c A classic movie and one that I really loved. I do own that one.

6. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

I don't know that I would choose "Flight of the Navigator" as my favorite movie, but it is one of my favorite movies. Like a lot of my favorites, it's a kids' movie but I like it, and have watched it a few times. Perhaps my favorite is "Blazing Saddles," but no, there are others.

7. Texas Beth

Texas Beth Veteran Member
    Registered

It is hard to pick the best movie as i have several that i consider to be good. I guess that I would pick To Kill a Mockingbird among the best, as eell as Victor/Victoria.

8. Tim Burr

Tim Burr Veteran Member
    Registered

Not sure I could pick just one.
    I know, for me, it has to have good writing.
    Developing characters is an art form that gets lost sometimes in newer films.
    You feel they only talk to fill time, waiting for something to 'blow up'.

That being said, I'm going to go with 3 movies I can watch repeatedly, without ever getting tired of.

-Treasure of the Sierra Madre
    -12 Angry Men ( 1957 )
    -To Kill a Mockingbird

Yea, there're old...but then again, so am I.:)

Patsy Faye likes this.
  9. K E Gordon

Registered

To Kill a Mockingbird was indeed a good one. I could not really get into 12 Angry men, I think it is black and white if I remember right. Treasure of the Sierra Madre we actually saw in high school as an assembly. I like a lot of the Spielberg movies as well, I especially enjoyed Close Encounters of the 3rd Kind, oh and Saving Private Ryan..It is really hard to pick a favorite movie there are so many contenders! Clint Eastwood has directed some fantastic movies too, and been in them as well. I could go on and on...Moby Dick, the Poseidon Adventure...Julie and Julia...so many!!:):)

10. Patsy Faye

Registered

@Tim Burr - we are the same in this respect, good dialogue is important and the right actor to deliver it
    We watched 12 Angry Men 'again' last night, superb dialogue and acting - particularly Lee J Cobb. His last scene
    had me riveted and in tears - 'again' . CLASS ! :)

Tim Burr and K E Gordon like this.
  11. K E Gordon

Registered

I haven't seen 12 Angry Men for a long time, maybe I should give it another try. I know it has some very impassioned acting in it. Maybe TCM will feature it sometime. Even though I don't care too much for older movies usually, I did watch the Great Escape on TCM Saturday. It was one I know I saw years ago, probably more than once..but it has been at least 40 years since I watched it. Interestingly, the movie featured a young David McCallum...instantly recognizable..James Garner and Steve McQueen were also in it.

Patsy Faye likes this.
  12. Von Jones

Von Jones Supreme Member
    Registered

My favorite all time movie knocked every other movie that I liked down a notch. I have always been into sci-fi and this movie just blew me away when I saw the trailer for the first time. Also, before the movie was shown in the theatre I did a little research on the writers and my admiration for the brother team still stands today as it did 17 years ago.

upload_2016-8-29_12-16-52.jpeg
    I'm so glad that it wasn't a novel first.

K E Gordon likes this.
  13. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

It is really hard to choose a most favorite movie of all, there are just so many that I have watched and enjoyed over the years. The ones that I would consider my most favorite have probaby changed as new ones came along.
    Anyway, after much consideration, I am going to say that this movie is probably my very favorite all-time move.
    It is called "Frequency", and it is one of those time-spinner movies where events change and the past and future then change.
    It is also a heartwarming family story that never fails to bring tears to my eyes when I watch it, which has been many times. It is one of the few movies that we actually own and can watch when we want to.
    Here is the trailer for it.

K E Gordon likes this.
  14. Patsy Faye

Registered

@Yvonne Smith - never heard of this one, will look out for it :)

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  15. K E Gordon

Registered

That does look interesting @Yvonne Smith I wonder how I missed that one. @Von Jones, I think you are in good company with the Matrix, but it is not really my type of movie. I do like some of the packaging that is sometimes found with the movie though...it looks extremely eye catching. Sometimes really great movies have an impact on us when we see them the first time and less so after that. Titanic was also an amazing movie. I saw that twice in the theater something that I had never done before.

Von Jones and Yvonne Smith like this.