If You Do Your Own Home Maintenance, Do You Adjust For Your Age?

Discussion in 'Home Improvement' started by Ken Anderson, May 28, 2021.

1. Bobby Cole

Bobby Cole Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

One of my failings is that I’m a perfectionist and when I get ready to rent a house it’s really ready and I’m proud of what I’ve accomplished. ( Yeah, I have an ego too.).
    The houses I work with are nearly 100 years old and need a lot of care. One of them was built in 1923 and moved from Tennessee to Alabama in 1953.
    I’ve had to replace massive amounts of wiring and bring the plumbing up to date, build cabinets and counter tops and also have had to replace old lathe and plaster with dry wall. The floors though. They’re the main feature. People bring their derned furniture and beds in and see a stained and highly polished floor with 3 coats of polyurethane on them and decide to just skid stuff around and conveniently forget to use coasters under the bed frames. Makes me want to go out and key their cars.

Long story short is every time I see what people can do to a beautiful piece of work I want to just say screw it and throw some laminate on the floors, paint everything white and throw linoleum on the kitchen and bathroom floors and give up replacing the ceramics that keep getting broken some how.
    I think this house may be my last venture because I just can’t seem to find anyone who cares.

Marie Mallery and John Brunner like this.
  2. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

Reminds me of the stories you used to hear (before such topics became verboten) of Section 8 housing where tenants had to be taught how to sweep floors, clean tubs, etc. because they never saw any of that done while growing up. And then there's the "beat it liked a rented car" mentality. As you know, you can't tell just by looking at people...lazy, responsible, or in between.

To sorta get back on topic: I worked for a non-profit for 7 years doing home repairs for folks who could not pay to hire a contractor. We did stuff as simple as repairing rotted front door landing areas to some extensive stuff taking over 450 man hours. You ain't lived until you've ripped enough 10" Masonite siding down to 8" to replace 3 courses all the way around the house. We did that more than once.

Marie Mallery and Bobby Cole like this.
  3. Marie Mallery

Marie Mallery Veteran Member
    Registered

I think we are getting worn and burnt out on too much work.

4. Bobby Cole

Task Force Registered

Marie put a like on one of my posts and whilst looking at the post I saw yours again hence my reason for replying concerning something I remembered from the past.

I did a teaching stint at Hebron Colony smack dab in a mountain forest just outside of Boone, N.C. It’s a Christian mission of sorts with an initial 6 week program for those with some pretty bad habits like drugs and alcohol. It’s not a place for lazy people because there’s a mechanic shop, wood shop, a vegetable farm, electrical and plumbing shop and of course it includes the culinary side too.

The bottom line is that I was amazed at how much men didn’t know how to do. Age levels didn’t matter because whether they were kids or middle aged it seemed like most of them came from mama’s basement straight to Hebron Colony without a clue how to fix something if it broke.
    Some of the men didn’t even know how to do their own laundry or make their beds much less work in one of the shops with any proficiency. It’s a given that most of the men worked on the farm portion planting and caring for potatoes and other veggies that were sold at a road side stand after harvesting but most of them were oblivious as to how veggies grew until they were forced to learn.

Grace Colony, the women’s portion of the campus was just as bad or so i was told. I talked with the counselors a lot and many of the women (some of them into their 50’s) had to be taught how to cook, clean, sew a button on a shirt and sadly, didn’t know a pair of pliers from a screwdriver.

I guess that’s one of the things good about this forum. From what I have read, the ladies here are more than capable of making things happen and aren’t afraid to get into the mix if something needs repair or start a new project.

Tony Page and Marie Mallery like this.
  5. Marie Mallery

Registered

I think its because we are of the times that if we didn't do it it didn't get done.
    And your right this forum has loads of knowledge.

Tony Page and Bobby Cole like this.
  6. Mary Stetler

Mary Stetler Veteran Member
    Registered

Well, my mother told me hers was a seamstress and hated the work so much that she would not even teach my mother how to sew. Back in the depression you worked so hard to make not much. She wanted my mother to have an easier life. Not sure doing what, but my mom was pretty.
    Welll, didn't work out quite as intended but my father never let us go without the basics and then some. I guess my mother, after watching the fancy people in the movies, wanted that life for me if not her. But I preferred to work and not sit under a dryer. I wasn't all that pretty anyway.
    I didn't know how to do much but I liked gardening and could learn cooking from my paternal grandmother. My first husband knew how to wall paper which I liked to do. He knew carpentry. My second husband worked on the line in a factory so I did every thing else since he brought home money for me and the kids. I still don't know how to really do much, but I figure if I have a butter knife, and maybe a rock and a hand saw...:rolleyes:
    At this point in my life, I am not sure I would rent to me. I might turn out to be a hoarder.

When I grow up I want to have a maid. My handy man will just have to do for now. He was a farm kid with a driving father so he learned to do or get a beating. He knows a lot.

7. Kate Ellery

Kate Ellery Supreme Member
    Registered

Yep of home is maintained by hubby .. and myself …hubby has only recently finished painting all our eves right around our 16 year old house ……..and if this category includes our garden that’s another yes ..
    I posted about our fruit trees … here in-games chat. Look at PAGES 599 And 600 where I said about cutting down on work by harshly pruning my peach tree….so I’m not working to supply the neighbours with fruit anymore …..which I’ve never minded I the past but there comes a time when you say ….. nah gotta look after our health and welfare by cutting back on work.

http://www.seniorsonly.club/threads/game-chat.2489/page-599

Last edited: May 9, 2022
    Marie Mallery and Mary Stetler like this.
  8. Mary Stetler

Registered

Women of the fifties were sort of like that. Pioneers on the prairies too, I reckon.:rolleyes: What also struck me was all that the mother did especially for her sons. Daughters were supposed to take care of the household. Sons were supposed to earn a living, not darn socks. My Mother In Law ironed hubby #2's T shirts and underwear--not happening here. But, These days, if is doesn't involve computers, is it earning a living? So who has time to learn mundane stuff?

Marie Mallery likes this.
  9. Marie Mallery

Registered

That generation went through alot.WW!! some WW1 ,Great Depression and problems over job.
    Their children 'us' had it made compared to them ,of course we did have a couple wars that was bad.

10. Trevalius Guyus

Trevalius Guyus Veteran Member
    Registered

Hmmm.... seems the original topic has been buried under off-topic posts. I know, it happens, and it's not always a bad thing but......

I grew up watching my dad do very cool things at his lamp/picture framing shop, and I went on interior design jobs with him, as well. I liked seeing the projects he got into at his house. I believe I learned by osmosis, as he wasn't into teaching me the skills he possessed.

When I became a home owner, and then the owner of rental properties, something in me activated, and I found I could do plumbing, electrical, carpentry, flooring, (eventually) roofing, and all other jobs needed to maintain any house. I saved huge bucks, and I'm sure that helped me get to where I am now. This all mostly happened in the pre-internet days, so I used books to learn. Ooh....

Now, to address the original topic: I have wondered when I'm going to slow down. In the past week I raised my giant Live Oak far above my roof, replaced a few feet of roof decking, repaired a fuel line in my push lawn mower, repaired the deck in my riding mower, excavated a neighbor's gas line to cut roots away from it, snaked a drain line from a roof vent, and hung a plastic owl in my Live Oak to dissuade a woodpecker from drilling holes in it.

While I like doing jobs, as in the preceding, there is no doubt that they are now taking more of a toll on me: The other morning, after the roofing job, I got up, tried to put on my socks, had my left leg give out at the hip, and fell on the bed in an uncontrolled way. Had I been a few more feet from the bed, I might have been in big trouble.

More and more, things are happening that make me wonder how much longer I can keep on keeping on. Unlike many, though, my existential angst is not one that will neatly be resolved by hiring people to do the work I don't feel good about doing myself, anymore.

Since I have always told myself that when I can no longer do things I enjoy doing, things that keep my house in good shape, things that keep things running smoothly, I no longer want to hang around, this becomes a true quandary, for me: Do I push myself to keep doing work that I know will take heavier and heavier physical tolls on me, or do I simply tie up loose ends and make my exit from this existence? I'm not trying for the melodramatic, here. I honestly can't see myself as a doddering old man, content to sleep in front of the TV, day in, day out. I'd rather be dead.....

11. Bobby Cole

Task Force Registered

I can definitely relate to your quandary.
    No matter where I go I seem to automatically focus on the older guys doing whatever they are doing and picking out which ones I do and do not want to be like.
    Although there’s nothing wrong with someone using a walker or a cane, I can’t see that in my future due to the fact that I’m extremely active and do not want to lose what I have.
    Still, even using my push mower seems to wind me a little more than even last year and I’m a lot more careful climbing up ladders because I know that a fall could break a bone which at my age, doesn’t mend well.

The one steady comfort that I do have is a complete woodworking shop which always begs for attention and I think no matter how old I get, if I can manage to cut, fabricate, sand and finish any project at all, my journey hasn’t ended.

12. Mary Stetler

Registered

The first thing that got my attention was when I went to climb my tv tower to get on the roof. We have two levels to get to and it was easier to use the tower than a ladder. I put all my tools in an old army duffel bag, slung it over my shoulder and found my left arm was sort of atrophied. Then I went to put some heavy dishes onto a high shelf and could not do it all at once.
    ?????
    Started doing exercises and could put the dishes up but worried about roof and gutter projects. You see, my hubby got old so I don't let him do a lot of things. But that I am getting old? I have been using a cane for 5 years now but even if I got my right leg back the way it was, I probably would still carry this cane. I get stuff down from high shelves with it. I have killed a viciously attacking rooster with it, it is handier than a grabbit....
    I am slowing down and use my handyman quite a bit. Unfortunately, he has degenerative disc disease and can only work occasionally which is why we do so well together. We both set off metal detectors, though.
    I am proud of what I have done on occasion. I put an italian quarry tile and decorative 15x27 ft floor in one of my basements. It literally took years as I had kids and work to do, so only did a few hours a week but it was glorious. And I got a marble fireplace front at an auction to put in the corner. Could not do that basement now as I can't crawl.
    The interesting thing is, I have a choice to work on myself. Right now I am wearing a hand weight on my left hand. I don't want to get the other wet if I have to clean anything during the day. Do I want to endure the pain to work on the rebuild? Not sure but will try until the answer is no. I have done it partially before.

Last edited: May 10, 2022
  13. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

Thanks for bringing it back on topic.

Trevalius Guyus likes this.
  14. Marie Mallery

Registered

I'm good with the rub downs, fixing his plate and things like that but I'm with you on the ironing the socks and undies.o_O But if it makes her happy thats a good thing.

Lately hubby complains more and I don't feel so good myself either but guess we will be here long as we can.

Bobby Cole likes this.