If You Can't Do As You Wish, Do As You Can

Discussion in 'Education & Learning' started by Avigail David, Jun 9, 2015.

1. Avigail David

Avigail David Veteran Member
    Registered

I think many great thinkers in history did not only work in their heads. They also worked with their hands. It all started in a dream and ambition. They invented. They innovated. They created. And they received Nobel Prize awards. They have contributed to the world's technology and wisdom.

Paul Smith just came to mind as I wrote this post. Incredible mind! Inspiring!

Last edited: Jun 10, 2015
    Diane Lane and Carlota Clemens like this.
  2. Carlota Clemens

Carlota Clemens Veteran Member
    Registered

I am a former typist and remember myself finding people who hate cordially being typists and making jokes on this to reflect their feeling; being enslaved to the typewriter machine.

However I never felt that way, I have always loved typewriters even up to date, and buying a new mechanical one is on top of my wishlist.

That said, you could imagine how inspiring has been this video to me :)

It's uncommon hearing from typewriter artists, but when the artist is Paul Smith and you learn more about his life, then his art turns sublime.

Avigail David likes this.
  3. Clark Smith

Clark Smith Veteran Member
    Registered

I think the quote in the title is one of the most thurthful things that we can ever think about, it's not that deep but it contains a great message in my opinion. Regarding the video is fascinating how this man uses the typewriter.. I've never seen something like that and the painting is really good too!

4. Jennifer Graves

Jennifer Graves Veteran Member
    Registered

I'm not a great thinker, but I am a thinker. I think of everything I can do, and exactly how to go about it, and all the possible outcomes. Then, after I have it all thought out, I get started working with my hands. That's when I find out I missed one very important possible outcome. And that outcome that I missed can usually be described as worst case scenerio. Not one single thing will happen the way for it to. That moment, when I'm looking at the mess before me that in no way resembles my ingenious idea, is the exact moment I realize I'm a thinker, but not a great thinker.

Avigail David likes this.
  5. Avigail David

Avigail David Veteran Member
    Registered

Welcome @Jennifer Graves :p I have several "worst case scenarios" like you described. :-D A lot of them do not turn out the way I had thought and planned. We make mistakes. We have failures. But what is important is we do something about those unique thoughts calling for our attention to act upon.

I look forward to reading more of your thoughts, here, at SO. See you soon, again.:)

6. Joe Riley

Joe Riley Supreme Member
    Registered

7. Diane Lane

Diane Lane Veteran Member
    Registered

Great video, @Avigail David, what a great talent and attitude he has, thanks for sharing!

8. Hannah Davis

Hannah Davis Veteran Member
    Registered

Very good quote in the header, I have to say its one that I may write down along with some of the other inspirational quotes that I have. The video was also interesting, this man had an interesting use for a typewriter that's for sure. Who would of thought that in this day and age someone would come up with a use for a device that many find obsolete these days and its quite innovative. Also, love the little cartoon about the doer not being on the pedestal next to the thinker, this is so true.