If Trump Cannot Save America The Queen Has Made An Offer

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussions' started by Martin Alonzo, Mar 18, 2016.

1. Chrissy Cross

Chrissy Cross Supreme Member
    Registered

I think they call it football, Denise but it's soccer. I think. :)

I know in Hungary it was called futball. But they only play soccer and not the football americans know.

2. Denise Evans

Denise Evans Supreme Member
    Registered

I think it must be soccer from the way they dress. American football needs all the garb because it's more like a "killing field" :(

Chrissy Cross likes this.
  3. Tom Locke

Tom Locke Veteran Member
    Registered

Definitely football in the UK. Strange people that we are, we call it football because it's played (mostly) with the feet unlike that other "football" in which people use (mostly) their hands.

4. Chrissy Cross

Chrissy Cross Supreme Member
    Registered

You're right about that, Tom! :)

5. Terry Page

Terry Page Supreme Member
    Registered

We use both words

The word “soccer,” which is believed to have originated in Britain some 200 years ago, comes from the official name of the sport, “association football.” As other versions of the game evolved to include Rugby Football, it is believed the Brits adopted colloquialisms to distinguish each game.

“The rugby football game was shortened to ‘rugger,’ a term recognized in British English to the present day, and the association football game was, plausibly, shortened to ‘soccer’” Szymanski writes. (Apparently ending words in “er” was a fad back then.)

Gradually, the term “soccer” gained popularity in the U.S. to distinguish the sport from American football. By the 1980s, the Brits began to part with the term, apparently, because it had become too “American.”

“In the U.S. it seems to have had a more democratic flavor – everyone used it – and more easily shifted from a colloquialism to a proper name because of the utility of distinguishing it from the other ‘football’,” Szymanski explains in his paper, which was published in May. “Since 1980 the usage of the word ‘soccer’ has declined in British publications, and where it is used, it usually refers to an American cont
    ext. This decline seems to be a reaction against the increased usage in the US which seems to be associated with the highpoint of the [North American Soccer League] around 1980.”

Holly Saunders and Denise Evans like this.
  6. Denise Evans

Registered

You think you guys are strange Tom??

[​IMG]

Holly Saunders and Chrissy Cross like this.
  7. Denise Evans

Registered

Good read Terry, thank you;) I think we copied you on the rugger too, we have ruggermortis. Seems we could do something original;)

My husband was a "soccer" fiend. He picked it up in Germany when he was a kid. His dad flew for Pan Am and they lived over there for years.